Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hazard light switch

Dudleian

1.6 tdci Ghia with front parking aids - has anyone ever pulled out the parking aid and hazard warning switch assembly? I want to try and connect a reversing camera switch wire to it but it won't budge from the dashboard - or do I get to it from underneath?

If your wanting the reverse wire, just tap into it at the gem module connector c96 pin 25 green/black wire

Thanks - Isn't the gem module in the boot though?

nope , the gem is the fusebox in the passenger footwell

Ta - I've just had a shufty and it looks like you need to be a contortionist to get under it - and I'm not as supple as I used to be! Does it pull completely out or do I have to work upside down? Also - any idea which connector I might use for the electric handbrake light switch (I may connect the necessary wire to allow dvd player to work)

It doesnt pull out completely as such. You can drop it down to give yourself more access to it, so it would pull forwards and down, but you still need to have an element of flexibility

Ah 'flexibility '- those were the days! I'll give it a shot when I feel more bendy! How about the handbrake light connection - is that in there too?

theres a question! I doubt it, as I suspect the switch will just run straight to the cluster.

The GEM board is the distribution centre for all powered electronics, whereas the instrument cluster has its own power source, and relies on a signal from a sensor / switch to say "on" or "off"

I see you have 2 threads going at the same time, I assume you want handbrake switch for a head unit with dvd, I would put that wire straight to earth point then dvd player will work all the time. If not I will have a look which wire you need. I assume from your posts you have electric operated handbrake?

1 hour ago, iantt said:

I see you have 2 threads going at the same time, I assume you want handbrake switch for a head unit with dvd, I would put that wire straight to earth point then dvd player will work all the time. If not I will have a look which wire you need. I assume from your posts you have electric operated handbrake?

That's right, electric hsndbrake - jeebowhite doesn't think I can get to the handbrake light from the gem so my guess is that I will need to get to the handbrake switch itself - it's a Ghia auto with so much interior trim around that area, I don't want to end up breaking any of it! I want to tap into the ciggy lighter to connect a 12v/5v usb converter so I'll probably earth the dvd cable at the same time

its canbus for the handbrake, so your going to have to earth the wire out

• 2 weeks later...

I finally tried the gem connection but it didn't work as expected. The green/black did trigger the head unit (as did the adjacent green/orange) but it left it in a permanent triggered state - ie unless reverse was engaged and the camera was activated the screen dis played 'no signal'' and I couldn't select any other function. I ended up running a trigger wire back to the reversing light after all.

Thanks for all the help though

• Like 1