Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Is it me

Michael9

Or is there a few don't have much confidence to do work on the car..

Namely the aux belt kit on an 05 2.0tdci, I've got the kit, tools even the impact gun....but scared to loosen the alt bolts ect and tensioner to do it

Ive did everything from lowering the engine a bit but it's just this loosening the nuts and bolts of the above....ive did a few things on cars through but for some reason this scaring me

Should it..

Nah, it shouldn't...

It's not like a cambelt, worst that'll happen is you forget how it's routed or leave it a bit loose and it squeals lol.

Cheers, i'll maybe try again tomorrow weather permitting.

I get very annoyed at myself for being scared to try or do some things 

Having said that, i don't think i can into the 1/2" hole on the tensioner, i tried a breaker bar but didn't have the space to turn the "bit" round to get in the hole. I'll need to either get the proper tool (if there is one) or get the guy i use to do it....but doing that is defeating the purpose of getting an impact gun and other tools.

Can't see on my phone but this must be a mondeo?

i made my own tool for doing the tensioners on them. A length of flat bar with a 1/2 butchered drain plug welded on. I will attach a pic.. 

The job itself is straight forward enough. Be careful not to short out the alternator though! Disconnect the battery is need be. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't have any flat bar or welder so I'm buggered again...I guess the mechanic will be doing this too :angry:

This is what pi%&es me off....I get more tools and a gun and still can't do it :angry:

I'm sure you can bodge it somehow...?  Aux belts are usually so easy! :unsure: 

not on a mk3 diesel . definatly need a tool of some description to release the tension off belt.

What's the issue, just not enough space to reach it?  I take it you cant squeeze a 1/2" ratchet up there?

2 hours ago, Michael9 said:

I don't have any flat bar or welder so I'm buggered again...I guess the mechanic will be doing this too :angry:

This is what pi%&es me off....I get more tools and a gun and still can't do it :angry:

get yourself a 13mm drain plug key, cut it down and use a spanner on it - thats how i used to do it before i made a tool

something like this from eBay, Halfords, motor factor etc. cut it so you loose the part with the hole in but leaving enough to grip with a spanner - works a treat and costs next to nothing. unless you fancy a trip to Fife and you can use mine. I'll fit the belt for you too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-TOOLS-1578-DRAIN-PLUG-KEY-8-13MM-SQ-/391284845255?hash=item5b1a64eac7:g:zTYAAOSw42JWEmUB

• Like 1