Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What tyres to get?

Taylor22

I need to buy two new tyres, I currently have Continental contisport 5 on but would prefer not to spend 80 quid a tyre on getting more.

Any recommendations of good tyres at a decent price? Looking on mytyres.com I can get 'goodride' branded tyres for £37 a tyre rated c and c compared to c and b for the Continental. Also seen nankang NS sport 2 for 38 a tyre. 

I put 4 Hankook (Ventus v2 I think they are called) 205/40/r17 on mine replacing the conti sport 5 that were fitted from new. actually seem a bit quieter, wearing better than the continentals (albeit with tracking redone) and with sensible driving no obvious issues with performance. think they were about £65 a tyre inc new valve, fitting, old tyre disposal etc. good tyres that are fitted as standard on many new cars (audi vw group cars etc i'm sure).

I've used the nankang ns2 before on a car I had that had 20's on and they were the best budget/middle of the road tyre I could get, they were actually quite good in all conditions.

must admit I much prefer Michelin or bridgestone though but all depends on budget/cost.

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and just get the Conti's at about £80 a tyre :/. Have raving reviews and would prefer all 4 to match! 

I'd stay away from Firestone, I was given them as the last place I was at was out of stock of many other brands. They really lowered the general ride quality and fuel consumption levels plus are noisier.

I've got Avon zz5's in the end. Had them on the 16" wheels I've just took off and managed to find them for £63 fitted and balanced new valves etc. Was quoted £88 for contis fitted and I really didn't noticed any difference between the two. I've still got contis on the back but I'll be swapping them to Avon once theyre more worn. 

Just put 4 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 fitted and although there good tyres Im having issues with light steering since fitting them.

Light steering might be overinflation?  Try letting a few psi out and see how it goes?  My Focus came on Hankook Ventus 'something' and I really wasn't a fan tbh, each to their own though.

I've currently got Dunlop Sport BluResponse all round, excellent wet grip and are wearing well, 12k on the fronts and still loads of tread.  My only gripe is the 'Blu' part, MPG didn't change at all with them.

Supposedly tyres have residue left on them from when they are molded in the factory that gives them a lighter feel which wears off once all the residue comes off from driving. Also I tend to find garages ever so slightly over inflate the tyre, I don't check my tyre pressures as much as I should and always find it feels lighter once I've gone from 28-33 psi. Perhaps a combination of the two? I've had hankooks and my friend also won't buy anything else but Hankook so id doubt it's that specific tyre making it feel light. 

Tyre pressure all correct so hopefully it's the other issue. I have just changed the shocks and springs all round and hope it could also be a tracking / alignment issue.

Take a couple of psi out, and give it a go... Might also just take a couple of hundred miles to get the best out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Tracking or wheel alignment could be off if youve changed suspension components but wouldn't of though light steering would be caused by this. Normally the steering wheel would pull and wouldnt stay straight which is how you'd know. I went out just before and did notice my steering is a bit lighter but having recently put new wheels on dunno how much of that is down to the wheels or new tyres. I'd just give it a few weeks and see how it goes, tyres and brakes etc can take some breaking in 

You could always buy part-worn tyres if you're looking for a budget option. A good place to search is eBay, just type in your tyre size into the search field, e.g. "195 50 15" and browse through.

I picked up a pair of Continentals for £20 each; 1 with 7mm tread and the other at 5mm. No repairs, punctures or any other damage. Was pleased with the end result at great value too! :)

I have just fitted some Toyo CF2s onto mine, think they were around £50 each, quite impressed so far, they are the 195/50/15s, correct tyre pressures are 29 on the front and 26 on the rear. Bought them as they had a good wet weather rating, lower noise and good economy but they really do stick well in the dry and I had no issues in the heavy rain around here yesterday on the motorway.

On 11/04/2016 at 9:03 AM, JSMarsden said:

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and just get the Conti's at about £80 a tyre :/. Have raving reviews and would prefer all 4 to match! 

Wise choice! As another post also replied I would have avoided Firestones too - Poor previous experience with them and they weighed a ton too, also Dunlop (SP Sport Maxx) about 3/4 years ago also caused me problems. In both cases 'current Firestones/Dunlops may now be better (?) but is it worth the risk? ContiSport 5s on my Red Edition are fine plus the fact the car would have been originally set up on them by Ford, ie road manners, stability control etc. Only downside is they wear a bit quicker than others but do you want them to last a bit longer and be hard as a rock or do you want the best all round performance? Only others I would consider if changing all four would be Michelin Pilot Sport 3's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maltozo said:

Wise choice! As another post also replied I would have avoided Firestones too - Poor previous experience with them and they weighed a ton too, also Dunlop (SP Sport) about 3/4 years ago also caused me problems. In both cases 'current Firestones/Dunlops may now be better (?) but is it worth the risk? ContiSport 5s on my Red Edition are fine plus the fact the car would have been originally set up on them by Ford, ie road manners, stability control etc. Only downside is they wear a bit quicker than others but do you want them to last a bit longer and be hard as a rock or do you want the best all round performance? Only others I would consider if changing all four would be Michelin Pilot Sport 3's.

Same and they don't do the Pilot Sports with the sizes I require unless I get all 4's done. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club