Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head gasket diagnosed as gone but no power loss, no water loss, no oil/water mixing, no smoke

Fastlife91

I paid a garage £900 about 10 months ago to replace head gasket as they said it was gone but later I found out they only replaced water pump .

I began losing water lately and had a chemical test on coolant done, it changed colour almost instantly and I was told head gasket was gone.

However I lately found out the metal water pipe had a hole in it, since fixing this metal pipe I have had no more loss of water,

My car runs fine, no power loss ( except what I suspect to be from bad MAF wiring ) no more loss of water, no smoke , no oil water mixing together e.t.c.

Is it possible that although the chemical test on the coolant revealed head gasket as gone, is it possible that it isn't gone as I don't have one single symptom of HG failure. also if it is actually  ''gone'' is it worth repairing or just leaving it whilst it is showing no symptoms ?

cheers

It could be oil was swept into the coolant from the damaged pipe. I think that tends to be what the test picks up on?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, jeebowhite said:

It could be oil was swept into the coolant from the damaged pipe. I think that tends to be what the test picks up on?

The pipe had water running through it, not water. Sorry if I am not understanding,  or do you mean some oil may have got into the tiny hole on the metal pipe thus on the chemical test revealing head gasket as gone ?

Is it possible the head gasket is not actually gone after all ?

It's possible, I don't believe water would be detected as it's acceptable to figure coolant though not best practice

The tester reacts to carbon dioxide...  The only way that can get into the coolant is from the cylinders through a blown headgasket as far as I'm aware.  I'm not sure if there is any way to 'fool' that particular test.

• Like 1