Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sudden Whirring noise and Burning Smell.

sean.kerwin

Hi all.

I got my 2010 Focus TDCi 2.0 Titanium with the Semi-Auto Powershift

It's got 33k miles and has had a full service by ford every year. (Literally Had a service last month)

Just driven to the shop and was fine, drove back and I noticed the car was making a "Whirring" noise, defiantly gets louder when the car is revved but I've not lost any power. Took it out for another spin earlier and then opened the bonnet to find a slight burning smell... Checked all hoses and belts when engine off and on and couldn't see and splits or cracks in anything. But the whirring is defiantly effected by the revs.

Any suggestions? Is the burning smell dangerous? I've only ever dealt with Petrol cars in the past..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tested the alternator and before engine start its 11.4v and start the engine it was just over 14v

could still be the alternator, quite common for 2.0 tdci alternator to become noisey and still charge ok

How could the alternator cause burning smell? I did take it out and boot it a bit then come back and open the bonnet....

not sure on your burning smell, could be something else. depends on what it smell of, and the pitch of the sound

Sound is just a low whirring noise that changes volume/pitch with revs. The burning I've never smelt before. I've had the car 7 months. Strange. I'll take t to the garage on Monday and see what they say?

Mine went on my 1.8tdci and defiantly a burning smell when I opened bonnet I'm led to believe they go dead short to earth internal mine took battery and alternator out battery was so flat no interior light fob wouldn't open doors but my battery light came on and 15 mins later car totally dead electricly 11.4v is low for a reading before starting up 

It was the alternator, I've just had it replaced as the bearing in the old one had seized and created so much heat that it melted the ceramic coating inside the alternator. £220 fitted same day wasn't too bad! And that was with a new belt too.

good to hear you have found the fault and fixed it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club