Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doing lots of miles - any maintenance advice?

jonny_sniper93

Hello all,

I have a ZS that I got from new back in September 15 and I'm probably going to do around 30k miles a year for 3 years (mostly motorway). I'm paying for two service plans per year from my Ford dealer and I don't rag the car (get around 50 mpg down the motorway).  I'd be grateful if anyone could give me any tips or advice on how best to preserve the longevity of the car. Obviously, the engine is 1.0T so I don't know how long these components will last. I'm looking for anything from putting premium fuel in the engine to any mechanical mods.

I'd like to increase the performance (remap?) but I assume this is off the cards in terms of engine strain and lowering my mpg.   

All suggestions welcome,

Cheers, Jonny.

If you want to increase longevity don't map it.

As long as you stick to the service intervals by mileage you should be fine.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a light remap, I've owned and know cars that have done over 200k with a remap.  Admittedly they were diesels but as long as the mapper knows the limits and doesn't push it then it should be fine. :smile:  

• Like 2

It will still affect longevity, even if minimally.

It's one or the other, more power or longer life.

Not if mapped properly, a decent mapper will be able to do 'safe' maps as well as all out power maps or eco maps.  30k for 3 years is only 90k anyway, apart from tyres and services I wouldn't expect anything else to need changing in that time.

• Like 1

I'm just saying any extra strain on an engine will reduce its life, impossible not to.

Not that you may ever actually see the difference, but any failures are more likely to occur sooner on a car pushing more power, than one standard.

Plus I don't think it's worth voiding the warranty on a car doing that many miles a year.

• Like 1

Aren't there one or two that keep the warranty?  Mountune does iirc?  Can't be bad if Ford are willing to warranty it...  Driving style has just as much to do with wear than increasing power, I'd take a mapped car over one that gets laboured in traffic every day and WOT starts while riding the clutch from every traffic light. :laugh: 

Personal opinion I guess, I would map a car doing that sort of mileage without worrying about longevity, may get better MPG on motorway cruises as well.  Other people may not, each to their own. :smile: 

• Like 1

Mountune don't offer a map for the 140 which is warranty friendly.

Any map will potentially void the warranty of the engine. Just something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses, Alex and Tom. In terms of mapping I was considering the bluefin as they claim it won't affect mpg and there isn't a bad word said about it on the forum. But I agree that, even if minimal extra strain, it still may or may not have an effect in the long run and I'm not going to risk it right now. It was an afterthought anyway and I may do it further down the line.

my focus strains every day from 100 to 140 via bluefin, no detrimental effect after 18 months and an extra 18k (now on 44k)

when i say strain, i dont mean i thrash it constantly every day,

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club