Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2012 Mk3 rough idle and stall when stationary

TG12345

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has had this problem and found the cause - I have a Focus Mk3 2011 (61) 1.6 petrol. 30,000 miles. I have owned it for a year and I have a steadily increasing problem of stalling when sitting in traffic. It will idle fine then if I tap the accelerator or move forward slightly then stop, the revs drop up and down between 300-800 revs then it just dies. Starts again no problem, and no issues when its moving - drives lovely.

Anyone else experienced this and if so was there an easy solution? I took it to the garage a while ago and they couldn't find a problem with it - no error codes. Please help!

Thank you :)

Tony

its common on all years of ford first step have a pcm update ford at ford that usually fixes it

Hi,

Just by way of an update took it to Ford garage today and software update fixed the problem, thanks artscot79!

Caught the mechanic saying how he was going to rag it on the test drive before he switched off my dashcam, currently waiting to hear from the service Manager.....what a plum

Don't wait to hear from the service manager, go down and confront him - put him on the spot. 

• Like 3

Never mind the service manager go straight to the Dealer Principal.

• Like 2

yeah I know how you feel my dash cam was switched off too on a service just after the mechanic was caught saying he couldn't be bothered with a test drive stick it in the corner service manager didn't want to know wouldn't even watch what was records dont go to the service manager go to the main head office upload the video in an email to them you'll get further

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 20/04/2016 at 10:43 PM, TG12345 said:

Hi,

Just by way of an update took it to Ford garage today and software update fixed the problem, thanks artscot79!

Hi, i am currentley having this same issue, can i just ask if indeed this completley cured the problem? Also how much did the update cost and what exactly did you ask for? Was this problem present when you got the car or did it develop shortly afterwards?

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Got Exactly the same issue with the same 2011 model 1.6 125 focus started at around 50k miles cuts out at low revs im guessing it needs the pcm update , anyone got any idea of cost involved

• 6 months later...

Looking at Ford dealer service details. Some dealers list software updates as part of the service so if you are having a dealer service done ask for the update at the same time. I only found out about the update after I had my car serviced so booked it in for a Pcm update and paid £51 for half an hour labour. Happy I did though as it is a different car afterwards. 

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I bought a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6L 2011 last week and its a lovely car, starts up perfect, sounds nice and drives nice but I am having the exact same issues as you described a week later!

It stalls when im coming to slow traffic, its not in gear and a little shudder and stalls. Also, it feels like it does pull off on first gear abit slow, i had a 2004 ford fiesta before thsi and that pulled off quicker.

I just wanted to see if the PCM update is definitley needed and how your cars are doing now since you updated it? 

ALso, i went on the ford website and nothing about this service available? What do I need to do and ask to get this done?

Any help is much appreciated....I have a young daughter and cant be dealing with any more car issues, its doing my head in!!

• 10 months later...

It definitely worked for me on my 2011 mk3 1.6 ti-vct. Mine used to stall when pulling up to lights or when idling the rev counter would be flicking up and down and sounded rough. It was running fine for the next couple of years before I sold it to get a newer car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club