Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0iESP - ESP/TCS problems, lateral sensor, brake change

planetf1

have a yr 2000 european focus 2.0 i ESP.

Last week it went into the main dealer for it's 9th service, and I had the front brakes/pads replaced.

As soon as I collected the car, I noticed the TCS warning light was on. The dealer did a quick check, reset (I think) and I headed off. Then in 2 8 mile journeys the TCS light came on both times.

I returned to the dealer, they took the car in to check wheel/brake sensors and came back telling me it was the lateral sensor, that it was nothing to do with the work they'd done, and that it was a ~ £450 replacement.

I do have a generic OBD scanner, but it doesn't appear to show anything relating to TCS

Obviously sensors can fail, in which case it's tough on me, and I'll fork up the £££. BUT I was suspicious that it was the brakes/discs that have been worked on, given the fact that the ESP would use the sensors in that area. But what I don't know is how to figure out exactly what is wrong, and whether there is anything that might relate to work recently done.

The wheel sensors came to mind - but I was wondering if the ABS light would be on (which it is not).

I'm just looking for any things to check / ask before paying for a replacement, and figuring out whether to go back to main dealer, minor dealer, or buy part only [ this is where having a diagnostic scanner would be useful... am also unsure if the lateral sensor needs any calibration, apparently it does in some marques]

My current thought is to check prices on the sensor, persuade them to match (there may be no other outlets), then get them to agree that if the sensor swap does not address the problem that it must be something else and they need to refund the sensor cost and replace the original -- perhaps that's fair?

the lateral-acceleration sensor is located under the front passenger seat so i do not see how they could damage it, they should have read the fault code instead of just reseting the light as now they will never know the origanal code. they could have disturbed a wheel sensor which effected the lateral sensor. as for £450 it does seem expensive you could try fordparts uk to see if its cheaper.

the lateral-acceleration sensor is located under the front passenger seat so i do not see how they could damage it, they should have read the fault code instead of just reseting the light as now they will never know the origanal code. they could have disturbed a wheel sensor which effected the lateral sensor. as for £450 it does seem expensive you could try fordparts uk to see if its cheaper.

Yep, they said the same -- frustrating but I can understand it could happen.

The first time it happened was within 2m after I left the car park space. At this point they said they reset it.

I then drove ~8m down a motorway, and it came on around half way on way there, and back.

I returned to the garage & this time they didn't just reset it, but said they'd attached the diagnostics computer and it was reported as a fault with the lateral sensor.

I have the Haynes manual and it appears the sensor itself is easy enough to replace. There's nothing about calibration. I have heard that one of the VAG systems at least needed calibration, hopefully not ford. Then there's confidence in the diagnostics, and cost. It's for this reason I think I need to shop around, get them to come close in price (accepting some labour) then if it doesn't fix the problem they can swap it back

I've not identified any pattern to it coming on. I did happen to park in some large gravel earlier today so did try a brief wheel spin - would have thought the TCS would cut in. It didn't seem to so maybe it's fatally injured. To be honest it very very rarely kicks in when I'm driving (which is a good sign...) just like the added protection.

• 1 month later...

I had the car back in to another dealer (albeit in same "group") at head office's recommendation and spoke directly with the (seemingly very knowledgeable) tech (best they have).

We went for a test drive and brief exam and I have

C1282 - Lateral Accelerator Circuit Failure

C1282 - Lateral Accelerometer Signal Fault

Taking car back monday for panels to be removed/wiring to be checked -- apparently there's quite a few connectors that may be dodgy that could cause these failures before a sensor is replaced

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club