Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Fuel Cap? Can it be fixed

Jawz

(My car is a Focus 1.8tdci zetec s 09 model)

I have just tried putting some fuel additive in my fuel tank last night in the Dark.  I could here a dripping noise but thoughthe it was because my tank was almost empty.

When I looked under the car I realised I had just wasted 12 quid has it had dripped out all over the floor.

Come this morning and day light, I tried using the empty bottle. But it wouldn't go all way in and was stuck on a silver tab on the inside. So I gave it a more forcefull push. The silver tab opened with a bit of a snapping sound. But won't spring back into place. So now the silver tab is half open.

Looking into the sidesettings looks like it rested in a plastic bit I've pushed it beyond. I can't hook anything in to try and pull it back into place.

Is there a way to fix this so that it comes back into position? When I push with my finger.  It is still spring loaded just doesn't come all the wag up because of the plastic I have pushed it beyond. 

Any advise please as don't want a big Ford bill and hopefully something I can fix myself??

Thats what I thought,you can buy really strong magnets these days.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Hmmmmmm.  Will have to see. It looks like it was resting on some plastic lugs. That I have pushed it beyond. So not sure if magnet would pull it back through.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that if I go fill up. Somehow the nozzle will release it back somend way.

I've seen two plastic things on eitherside that looks like what could release it for when you put a nozzle in. But pressing these by hand doesn't work.

One think trying to Google.  Quite a few people have tried using redox and ended up going all over the floor. Tssssk for pouring my gold solution on floor and tssssk if I broke it :o (

that's what the emergency fuel filler nozzle is for, obviously you either don't have one or its in the spare wheel well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jawz said:

Hmmmmmm.  Will have to see. It looks like it was resting on some plastic lugs. That I have pushed it beyond. So not sure if magnet would pull it back through.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that if I go fill up. Somehow the nozzle will release it back somend way.

I've seen two plastic things on eitherside that looks like what could release it for when you put a nozzle in. But pressing these by hand doesn't work.

One think trying to Google.  Quite a few people have tried using redox and ended up going all over the floor. Tssssk for pouring my gold solution on floor and tssssk if I broke it :o (

My mum did the exact same thing went all over the floor but with DPF additive lol, the silver cap slides either left or right we used a flat head screwdriver to push to the side, your best bet will be go fill your car up and see if it goes back into place :)

Thanks for the quick replies people. I will go later once I've had my sleep (been on nights) and update in case anyone else comes across searching for the same thing.

• Like 1

For future reference, all fuel additives I know need adding to full tanks, not nearly empty!

I wish you luck mate, I nackard the easy fuel filler valve and what a complete nightmare it was to get sorted.

You need to use the wee funnel to add the additives or use a Jerry can, there is no other way to get it in. once the special funnel is pushed in it will open up the valve allowing the fuel to be added.

Mines a 2008 model and the filler neck on mine was an older design, one day I pushed the funnel in and it shot in too far, the small collar on the funnel passed the entrance to the filler pipe and got stuck inside. on pulling it out I must have nackard something inside because for every litre of fuel I put in to the car at the petrol station, about 100 ml peed all over the floor.

So if something similar has happen to yours and it is indeed broken then your in for a bit of a shock

I picked up a replacement filler pipe which thankfully had an updated design to prevent the funnel going in, jacked the car up, and attempted to remove the old one, unfortunately, ford in their infinite wisdom made it impossible to remove the filler pipe without removing the whole rear sub frame.  Beyond my abilities I ended up taking it to a garage, filler pipe cost £20 off eBay, 2/3 hours labour and wheel alignment cost another £150. :(

43 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

I wish you luck mate, I nackard the easy fuel filler valve and what a complete nightmare it was to get sorted.

You need to use the wee funnel to add the additives or use a Jerry can, there is no other way to get it in. once the special funnel is pushed in it will open up the valve allowing the fuel to be added.

Mines a 2008 model and the filler neck on mine was an older design, one day I pushed the funnel in and it shot in too far, the small collar on the funnel passed the entrance to the filler pipe and got stuck inside. on pulling it out I must have nackard something inside because for every litre of fuel I put in to the car at the petrol station, about 100 ml peed all over the floor.

So if something similar has happen to yours and it is indeed broken then your in for a bit of a shock

I picked up a replacement filler pipe which thankfully had an updated design to prevent the funnel going in, jacked the car up, and attempted to remove the old one, unfortunately, ford in their infinite wisdom made it impossible to remove the filler pipe without removing the whole rear sub frame.  Beyond my abilities I ended up taking it to a garage, filler pipe cost £20 off ebay, 2/3 hours labour and wheel alignment cost another £150. :(

i was hoping you would tell your experience of the dreaded easy fuel, just couldnt remember which member it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

I picked up a replacement filler pipe which thankfully had an updated design to prevent the funnel going in, jacked the car up, and attempted to remove the old one, unfortunately, ford in their infinite wisdom made it impossible to remove the filler pipe without removing the whole rear sub frame.  Beyond my abilities I ended up taking it to a garage, filler pipe cost £20 off ebay, 2/3 hours labour and wheel alignment cost another £150. :(

Oh dear. Not what I wanted to hear. Fingers and toes crossed it goes back in. I tried manually pushing the side parts that the fuel pipe must touch to release the silver tab. But that didn't do anything. Peeved off. But let's just see if it goes back at fuel station.

Not expecting it to knowing my luck with cars!

Though wonder if it doesn't if it's OK to leave. Quick Google shows people having vapour warning lights on dash. Is there a sensor in there? I can see when I push the silver flap even further, theres an extra yellow plastic flap in there.

Is the plastic one to stop the fumes and main one and then the metal just to stop debris and siphoning? 

Have you tried inserting and removing the emergency funnel to see if the flaps reset?

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Have you tried inserting and removing the emergency funnel to see if the flaps reset?

Sent from my SM-G930F

i doubt he has the funnel as thats where the damage was done by not using the funnel

• Like 1

I lifted the boot carpet and see the spare wheel. Will have to unbolt it and see if it's underneath.

I have since been A$#A supermarket and it seems to have reset. Though it has come back up i can push it very slightly open with my finger. But it is locked again. Just noto sure if it had any slight movement in before or not.

Also.....and might be coincidence to worry me as it has happened in past. Whilst putting 30 quid in the tank the fuel nozzle did click off 4 times like when the fuel tank is full. Hopefully a coincidence with that nozzle and not an issue going forward.

Thanks everyone for input. Really surprised by turnout. Most forums (For PC's etc) you get many views but no input at all. Thanks a lot. 

• Like 3

when the pump clicks off like that, that was what mine did, check the floor as you fill up, you might start dripping all over the place. I couldn't hold the trigger more than a pinch so it doesn't sound as bad as mine so hopefully it was just a one off. 

id drive until its 1/4 full, then fill up fully, make sure the nozzle is fully inserted, if it keeps clicking off then something is probably wrong, once your full check if you have made a puddle, it drips down a small length of hose behind the wheel arch, depending how it sits it might be soaking in to the wheel arch liner, there is room to get under her without jacks, go take a peak

:)

Some pumps cause problems with easyfuel systems due to higher flow rates.

My local Sainsburys garage changed their pumps last year and caused problems until they recalibrated the flow levels.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club