Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scraping/grinding noise

chewydaat

I'm sure there are already many threads on here about funny noises, but this is one I've never come across with any car I've ever owned or even the battered vans at work! 

I was out for an evening spin earlier, and about 20 minutes into the drive, I heard this light scraping noise when shifting from 4th to 5th. Turned the radio off, slowed down and downshifted, didn't hear it again. Kept on driving, and heard it a little later, again when going from 4th to 5th. So I started playing around a bit, and it only seems to be popping up between 3rd/4th/5th, but not all the time, in fact not particularly often. It also popped up when I was reversing onto my driveway when I got home. The noise isn't there when in neutral, or when the clutch is pressed, or when the clutch is released, only at the biting point. Aside from the noise, it all seems to work fine, there's no gear slipping, appropriate speed for the amount of revs, nothing else out of the ordinary at all. Anybody got any ideas? Typical I'd get a mystery noise when I'm supposed to be driving near 400 miles at the weekend for my first mini break in 2 years!

It's a 56 plate mk2 Focus Zetec Climate 1.6 petrol. About 78k miles on the clock. 

Ok, I had another quick jaunt around town to investigate further (after checking all my fluid levels of course). It is always present when biting in reverse gear, occasionally present in 3rd and 4th, and hardly ever present in 1st, 2nd and 5th. It also seems to be far less present when driving more slowly (though not overly so) and shifting a tiny bit earlier than I normally would. As I said though, there are no performance issues with anything. Not being particularly knowledgeable about cars, this really is a mystery to me

Never mind....it was a rattling heat shield.... :blush:

• Like 1