Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Sat Nav + Dash Cam Interference

samzs1

Afternoon All,

I've just taken delivery of a new Fiesta Red Edition. She's a beaut, and unlike my previous Red Edition this one has an integrated Sat Nav. The only problem is, after plugging in my trusty dash cam next to the mirror, I've noticed that as long as the dash cam is plugged in, the sat nav reads 'GPS' and it thinks that I'm driving around over fields and through the oceans. As soon as I unplug the dash cam, it works flawlessly!

After looking around I'm lead to believe that the GPS antenna must be located in the black box next to the rear-view mirror (I've read that this is the location for post-2013 Fiestas only)  - does anyone have a diagram or can anyone confirm this? Has anyone else had this issue? If so, where does everyone else put their dash cam?? :blink:

Yes GPS is in the black box next to mirror.

I have my dashcam up near the big block on my Focus, but it is as far over as I can within the blacked out are of windscreen.

I can only suggest fitting it on the otherside of the mirror, try and get it as far away as possible from the GPS sensor.

It doesn't need to be miles away, but it will interfere if it is in close proximity.

I have this same problem with my new car, I took it to ford and they said it was the cam blocking the signal but they have never come across this before as other cars have had the same set up with no issues. The only to do is to move it until the satnav seems to work. Haven't had a chance to sort it out yet though and was going to ask the same question!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Cheers Alex!

I figured others might have the same issue. It took me ages to realise, I've spoken to a technician at Allen Ford and he's verified that the only workaround is to just change the dash cam position - it seems to need at least six inches realistically which is a shame as it blocks the view of either driver a bit! 

Another quick one - the front washer jets weren't working initially when I got the car, apparently some in the latest batch have had this issue - the tubing was getting crushed by the bonnet hinge and so had to be re-positioned in order to work. Just a heads up in case someone else has the same issue.

• Thanks 1

My dash cam sits next to the mirror & causes no problems.,

I took delivery of my new Red Edition (IRL variant) last week and the nav system works flawlessly with my dash cam set up which sits next to the mirror. To be fair I've only used the nav maybe four times but each time it worked perfectly.

It's going to depend on the design of the dashcam.

My dashcam comes with a separate GPS receiver and they recommend keeping it 6 inches apart to stop interference.

Some will get away with it, some won't. It's not a fault, it just means if you get interference you need to move them apart a bit.

Ah yes, my dash cam has a separate GPS receiver.

do you think the same would happen with the gps receiver for emergency assist? its in the same place i think but obviously no way to test...

It could do easily yes.

Not sure how to test though...

What dash does everyone use? As my next base one is just interfering with the satnav and if I move it over to far it just blocks my view through the screen. Cheers

Chuck a ferrite core on each cable (e.g. if you've hardwired it, between fuse tap and 12v, on usb from 12v to dashcam)

I know, haven't had time too sort out a new feed haha! I'm going to kook into then the only thing I don't like is they have no screen! Also looking at a next base 402g

• 1 year later...

i have had this exact same issue the dealer I used has never come across the problem before however it doesn't matter where in the car the dash cam is it stops the sat nav from working just by having the dash cam plugged in to the lighter socket. I'm using a nextbase 212.  

30 minutes ago, chrism2015 said:

i have had this exact same issue the dealer I used has never come across the problem before however it doesn't matter where in the car the dash cam is it stops the sat nav from working just by having the dash cam plugged in to the lighter socket. I'm using a nextbase 212.  

What power adapter are you using?  Cheap ones are often unscreened and can cause issues.

• Like 1

As @alexp999 says, a cheap power cord could be responsible. I believe the 212 has an internal battery that can record for several minutes without being connected to a 12V supply. If you turn it on using the battery and leave the cable unplugged does the nav work? I would expect it not to. Does the power lead you are using have a Ferrite Core Noise Suppressor? If not then try using one that does or purchase a ring filter, with the correct diameter.

Willful 10-Pack 3mm Inner Diameter Ferrite Core Cord Ring RFI EMI Noise Filter Cable Clip Black (3mm inner diameter) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E5ALVWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_fm5JzbDF3C81N

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...

I have a Ford Fiesta zetec 2016 and the same thing is happening with mine. I have had a couple of different dash cams fitted to my car and they are all knocking the gps off the sat nav. I was just wondering if you managed to sort yours out?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club