Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Public Transport vs Car - your thoughts??

Incontro

So I've been wondering if it's just me, or is everyone else the same on here.

When planning a trip to a far away place (> 1 hour away), do you first consider catching public transport (bus or train) to get there?

Or is it a given that you will go almost anywhere by car?

Is cost a huge factor when comparing the two options, or do you prefer comfort?

For me at least, I tend to drive everywhere. The only time I take the train or bus is for two destinations: London (driving in London is a nightmare), or one of the airports (Gatwick/Heathrow).

I personally never opt for public transport, unless it is absolutely necessary (picking up a vehicle, or traveling whilst under the influence of alcohol!).

I'd rather drive for 12 hours to get somewhere by road than spend 1 hour on a train or bus.  It's a mixture of not being in control, not having privacy and poor hygiene of public transport that puts me off.

• Like 4

Cant remember the last time I was in a bus or train. And drive in and around london past all the landmarks when I have to(not very often)

Ive used a train once to london for the day, and a coach to heathrow once. Thats in 35 years of driving.

When the bus does a door to door journey rather than two buses and a ten minute walk in the cold or rain to get to work then I'll think about using public transport before the car. 

Over here for me to get a return bus ticket to Dublin as in; paid both ways 

would cost €28 just for myself

Now for me to put €28 Diesel in my car I could drive it up and back twice. With the whole family in the car.

Plus no foreign language screaming in the seat or junkies around bus station in city as I wouldn't be near it.

I was going to see a show in Dublin with the family last Christmas; for us to get the bus would have been €67 return for all five.

I drove it up and back aswell as paid parking for 7hours total cost €37.45 

I work in public transport and live in the suburbs of London so I should be quite biased against the car!

In reality I'll generally use the car because of the convenience. I'd consider the train if I've got to go through or around London, for very long journeys or if I'm likely to be too fatigued at the times I'd need to travel.

Busses make me feel ill so I can only imagine trains would be the same!

I'd take the car anywhere I've gotta go, I'm sure it'd be cheaper to bus or train sometimes, and there is a bus stop less than 60 seconds walk from mine, but (aside from motion illness) I'm too much of a control freak. ;)

Car all the time as I find I can't rely on anything or anyone to get me wherever I want to go on time lol.  Found that out the hard way as well.  Plus on the buses(round here anyway) they're always late, smelly, dirty & noisy.  CAn't moan at the price though as a 26 mile round trip(there & back) is about £6.  I like train journeys & I'v got the train into Brum or Manchester before.  So if it's a train I'll quite happily use public transport but not a bus, I hate buses

Had my first train journey in ages today, and admittedly did not enjoy it much (understatement). I forgot how dirty the seats were, how noisy (and smelly) the old turbo diesel motors are, and how rude some (not all) ticket conductors can be. Remember that GB was once at the forefront of rail, and now we have a train network/system that is worse than even some 3rd world countries.

Bus - also hate. Coach - well if you manage to get a front row seat on a semi-decent National Express coach, it can be quite nice. Clean, quiet and comfortable like a car, but you don't have to do the driving. And they cruise at around 70 too, on the motorway.

I cant stand public transport generally, its uncomfortable, slow, expensive and generally takes too long, the journey may be quicker but factor in changes and waiting around its usually about the same time. Nearly always as cheap to drive my own car instead.

Not too mention you already pay for the privilege of a car so why pay again to use public transport.

• Like 1

For me it's about the destination, parking charges, congestion, London basically, will mean I'd probably take the train. Anywhere else I'll take a car, I like my own space, radio, ac, etc

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, simcor said:

I cant stand public transport generally, its uncomfortable, slow, expensive and generally takes too long, the journey may be quicker but factor in changes and waiting around its usually about the same time. Nearly always as cheap to drive my own car instead.

Not too mention you already pay for the privilege of a car so why pay again to use public transport.

That's exactly it for me!  People say things like "why don't you take the train?"...  Umm...  Because I have two cars parked outside!?  It costs enough to keep them running, let alone paying for public transport too.

i live in the middle of london, so sometimes public transport is a necessity.

if im going to a place where the parking is almost non existent or the price is extortionate i will take public transport (which is pretty much most of central london)

or if i need to go somewhere which will require congestion charge by car and will probably take twice as long to get there than a train will then i will take the train.

orr if i can see in the traffic news that it is particularly abysmal today then ill probably opt for a train.

but places like the suburbs just outside of london i cant imagine living in without a car, with buses that take 40 minutes to come and train stations 5 miles away from eachother i wouldnt understand why anyone wouldnt want to get a car as soon as they possibly could.

it depends where you live really.

On 4/23/2016 at 9:03 PM, GMo said:

For me it's about the destination, parking charges, congestion, London basically, will mean I'd probably take the train. Anywhere else I'll take a car, I like my own space, radio, ac, etc

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

This pretty much sums up my feelings on public transport. It all depends on the location and potential parking charges. 

The only other thing to consider are the times I'd travel and if it is just me. 

I have to use public transport for work journeys quite a lot. I live in Halifax and travel to Sheffield regularly. By car it's about 40 miles and takes around an hour in busy traffic.

Public transport for same journey is

1. Walk to bus stop 10 minutes

2. Bus to Halifax 20 minutes

3. Walk to train station 10 minutes

4. Train to Leeds 45 minutes then train to Sheffield 50 minutes

5. Walk to office 20 minutes

With waiting for connections it takes about 3 hours each way. If the weather is bad I'm also cold and wet and in a very very bad mood.

But hey I've helped to save the planet by producing less CO2 so it's all good. 😷

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club