Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powertrain icon (P0299 code)

Condee

Hi guys.

I've just bought a stunning mk7 Fiesta, 1.6 diesel 2009 from a local dealer.

At first the car drivers very well (I don't have much comparison though as previously I've been driving a nearly wrecked 2003 skoda fabia).

The problem is that when I start to accelerate more dynamically (such as when overtaking on a highway), the powertrain icon comes up.

It's kind of unsettling as I have just collected my car (today afternoon), and even though the car is superb I can't help but think that there's something very expensive that's broken and that's on my very first day!! Especially that I've taken the car on 5 year financing.

I went through countless forum threads but none of them has actually an answer what this icon can actually indicate. I've got that wee device that you plug into the car to read the fault codes but nothing comes up. 

I've made a photo of the icon, you can clearly see it if you zoom enough.

Any suggestions?

Should I speak with the dealer about it? As far as I know I have 14 days cooling off period for the financing so I'd like to sort it out as soon as possible to avoid any potential expenses.

Thanks in advance!

Konrad

dash.JPG

dash.JPG

What about the warranty? Indeed, you should speak the dealer about it!

You have lack of power, when you're overtaking?

If so, it could be anything. Let your dealer fix it, he has to come up with a solution.

Thanks for the reply

As far as I know I've got a 1 month warranty for the engine and transmission so I doubt that it applies to this but I'll give it a try anyway.

No lack of power in the city. It's just when I'm on the fifth gear and try to more aggressively accelerate from like 60 to 70 or so the car feels sluggish

EDIT: Just called the dealer and he said they can't do anything over the weekend anyway as all the shops are closed, but he advised to take the car for a longer journey as it might be because the car has not been used for a wee while and if the problem persists give him a call on monday. 

Thanks for the reply

As far as I know I've got a 1 month warranty for the engine and transmission so I doubt that it applies to this but I'll give it a try anyway.

No lack of power in the city. It's just when I'm on the fifth gear and try to more aggressively accelerate from like 60 to 70 or so the car feels sluggish

EDIT: Just called the dealer and he said they can't do anything over the weekend anyway as all the shops are closed, but he advised to take the car for a longer journey as it might be because the car has not been used for a wee while and if the problem persists give him a call on monday. 

Legally, you can refuse the car if you've had it less than 30 days.

I dont know where you get the 1 month idea from, used cars bought from a dealer are subject to the sale of goods act, you get 6 months to take it back for repair 😊

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob_thebaldie said:

Legally, you can refuse the car if you've had it less than 30 days.

I dont know where you get the 1 month idea from, used cars bought from a dealer are subject to the sale of goods act, you get 6 months to take it back for repair 😊

I think the 1 month engine warranty was on one of the papers I've received from the dealer. 

I went for a little longer journey yesterday and the powertrain light appeared again, and additionally there was an 'Engine malfunction, service now' message displayed on the screen.

On the way back home no errors came up though, so it's quite intermittent

You must have, atleast, 6 months of warranty, and yes, 30 days time to refuse it if there is something you don't like about the car.
Or your dealer should come up with a proposal to free repair (warranty).

In my opinion, I should leave him there & say to the guy: fix it. And demand a replacement car for the time being

• Like 1

possible dpf issues when you floor it the car sees that the dpf maybe blocked and puts the car into a sort of limp mode to prevent any possible back pressure in the engine and destroying your engine.

Hi.

I've decided to give it a try few more times and I have never got any errors anymore.

Could that be because the car has not been driven for a while and once it's 'warmed up' the error's gone?

I'll give it a proper journey over the weekend and give you another update on this but since my last post I didn't have any issues at all.

On 27 April 2016 at 8:39 PM, griffo1997 said:

possible dpf issues when you floor it the car sees that the dpf maybe blocked and puts the car into a sort of limp mode to prevent any possible back pressure in the engine and destroying your engine.

It's a 2009 model and it doesn't have DPF so it's not that.

On 25 April 2016 at 5:19 PM, beethoven said:

You must have, atleast, 6 months of warranty, and yes, 30 days time to refuse it if there is something you don't like about the car.
Or your dealer should come up with a proposal to free repair (warranty).

In my opinion, I should leave him there & say to the guy: fix it. And demand a replacement car for the time being

I haven't bought this from an official dealer. It was more of a trader methinks.

http://www.charlesrooneycarsales.com/used-cars

Do you think the 6 months warranty will apply here?

Yes you bought it retail not private.

• Like 1

Right I've got some updates on this and I'm getting a bit concerned now.

I had a trip to Edinburgh (from Glasgow) today and the icon appeared again along with the Engine malfunctioning message.

I have plugged in my OBDII device straight away and managed to get an error message: PO299 turbocharger underboost condition

I had a quick research and it looks like it could be anything from a little cable up to an entire turbo module and this time I'll definitely give the dealer a call on monday.

now the icon pops up immediately after I start up the engine so hopefully the seller will have the chance to see the error himself.

let us know how it goes!

I popped over to the dealer on sunday and I had the luck that the icon and message were there so he's seen them himself. On the next day (monday) I've left my car, but the icon wasn't there anymore and the mechanics said they have not seen any error showing up and everything is fine.

I told the guy that it's an intermittent issue and he'll most likely get the error when on a high speed motorway. So he proposed that he'll go home with my car and see if the gets the error. Now I'm waiting for the call.

Additionally I've sent him an email with the picutes I've made (engine malfunctioning & OBDII error) so hopefully that'll be enough for him.

Surely the code will store on the ECU so the mechanic will be able to pull the code off and investigate? 

Could be something as simple as a boost pressure regulator failure - if this is the case the car turbo will sound slightly different when you let off the throttle.. 

Hope you get it sorted pal!

Thanks

I spoke to the dealer today; apparently they've managed to trigger the error - he said that my turbo is 'jamming' and they're trying to find out why. He said that they'll try to sort it out tomorrow and that  the car runs fine otherwise.

I'll give you an update tomorrow

It looks like it will take me a while to get this sorted. 

I have collected my car yesterday and the guy said the issue is fixed and all they had to do was to clean up one part but "he can't remember what was the name of it".

I was very sceptical but I had another trip to Edinburgh today so I thought it will be a good opportunity to test whether the issue is fixed. And guess what? The icon and "engine malfunction" message still appear!

i drove to the dealer straight away and I had an impression like he wasn't surprised that the issue is still there at all. He told me to leave the car tomorrow evening and they give it another check on monday.

i've shown him the error code and said that it's most likely the turbo that's broken (the error says turbo underboost). He just noded his head and didn't say anything.

i think the car needs the entire turbo replaced but they're doing all they can to avoid it.

If I'm honest, at this point if I were in your shoes I'd be telling the Motor Trader I don't want the vehicle back. 

Each time you drive it you're likely to put more pressure on a slowly failing Turbo which will only affect the longevity of the engine. Whip out section 20-26 of the CRA 2015 and get your money back. Plenty of other Fiesta's around. 
:)

• Like 1

Your car dealer keeps you in suspense, indeed, as you say, to avoid charges (turbo). Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

Guessing this is a DV6 engine...

• Like 1

On 16/05/2016 at 8:25 AM, m1tch said:

Guessing this is a DV6 engine...

I have no idea, I'm not technical at all when it comes to cars but by the sound of it it looks like turbo issues are quite common for this time of engine?

I spoke ot the dealer yesterday and they've tried to reproduce the issue all the time but with no luck. That's bizzare because I am able to ge the icon showing up every single time I hit the motorway. Luckily he has seen the icon himself when I left the car but it disappeared so it's not that he doesn't believe me. 

They'll keep looking today and hopefully that will get sorted. I told him that if they won't fix it I will return the car and look elsewhere as it's too risky to drive this car in the current state.

It's the second day them keeping my car and they didn't bother to give me a call with any updates which for me is quite obvious that the issue has not been fixed an they're trying to do some workarounds instead.

I have just called Zuto and most likely I'll return the car and find something else...

It's the second day them keeping my car and they didn't bother to give me a call with any updates which for me is quite obvious that the issue has not been fixed an they're trying to do some workarounds instead.

I have just called Zuto and most likely I'll return the car and find something else...

EDIT: 

Just have collected my car. 

After another week of investigation the problem might finally be fixed. The dealer told me they've found the problem. It was most likely a 'Valve Assy Vacuum Pump' that was causing the power drop. (Part no. F1313848)

They've replaced it with a new one (cost is around £100 - I've got the invoice). And the car came back with a full tank of fuel which is pretty nice :) 

Tomorrow I'll go for a longer trip and see if the issue has gone for good.

• Like 2

Glad to hear that the problem seems to be 'resolved' :) 

Fingers crossed the error doesn't crop up again! Enjoy the full tank of fuel!!

• Like 2

Just had a lovely trip to Edinburgh and the car was simply amazing.

I could feel a significant power increase and the car is very responsive and snappy now. No yellow icon appeared this time which made me super happy.

So yeah, my dealer happened to be a good guy who just had a hard time identifying the issue. But now that it's solved I can finally enjoy my fiesta :)

Thanks everyone for your input!