Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sensitivity of auto headlights

SteveGSXR600K1

Hi,

When I drive to work, I have to go under a dark flyover and I notice that a lot of cars autolights come on instantly as soon as they go under the flyover. Mine never come on when I go under it and I was wondering what other MK3 owners experience when they enter a sudden dark area, tunnel, bridge, etc.

It will come on when it gets dark by itself, along with the ambient lighting, etc, just doesn't seem to pick up the sudden change to a darker light like most other cars.

Where is the light sensor located? Does anyone know what the small dome is in the center of the dashboard by the windscreen?

I've noticed mine (MK3) don't seem to be super sensitive, when it starts to get a little overcast towards the end of the day and you see a lot of other peoples lights come on, mine still seem to be off. The one thing I would say is that mine seem to come on just a tad earlier than I would turn on the lights in a manual car (which I consider a good thing). I'm wondering if there is some kind of timer? I.e. the sensor has to detect below a certain threshold of light for X amount of seconds, hence the reason they don't always come on going under bridges etc?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AaronF said:

I've noticed mine (MK3) don't seem to be super sensitive, when it starts to get a little overcast towards the end of the day and you see a lot of other peoples lights come on, mine still seem to be off. The one thing I would say is that mine seem to come on just a tad earlier than I would turn on the lights in a manual car (which I consider a good thing). I'm wondering if there is some kind of timer? I.e. the sensor has to detect below a certain threshold of light for X amount of seconds, hence the reason they don't always come on going under bridges etc?

When it was getting darker whilst driving home, I noticed that mine wasn't coming on until I went through a forest area which made it dark enough to switch them on. I had exactly the same thought as you regarding a time or distance having to be covered before switching on.

The small dome on the dashboard will most likely be the ambient sensor for climate control assuming your car has climate control. It uses that sensor along with an interior temp sensor so the climate control can keep the desired temp by adjusting for sunlight heating the car interior.

• Like 1

My 2015my are very sensetive, they come on alot earlier than i would normally switch on manually, my concern is they come on when passing a junction and a car pulls out thinking i've flashed them to move out....i have now turned mine off for this reason..

• Like 1

I agree with Rocket_111 my 2015 auto headlights are very sensitive, also the same issue but slightly different as when mine are on and passing someone on a T junction my lights do not dim so I end up blinding the driver waiting to turn out of the junction... 

Nothing can be perfect I just have to be more vigilant at junctions

• 1 month later...

sorry to drag up an old thread but I have noticed that my auto lights are on all day, even if its sunny. Has anyone else come across this problem ????? 

Will take it back to Arnold Clarks and see what they say, but would like a bit ammunition to give to them if you know what I mean as stealers tend to try and wiggle out of anything.

1 hour ago, Scotty Pro said:

sorry to drag up an old thread but I have noticed that my auto lights are on all day, even if its sunny. Has anyone else come across this problem ????? 

Will take it back to Arnold Clarks and see what they say, but would like a bit ammunition to give to them if you know what I mean as stealers tend to try and wiggle out of anything.

Are you sure that it's the auto lights that are on constantly? Or is it the day time running lights that are on when it's sunny. If your car has drl that will be the first thing they tell you. As day time running lights are now a legal requirement for cars now and not all cars have led ones so they use the normal headlight instead. 

• Like 1

Hi Steven

yes I have the DRL's on all the time as soon as I switch ignition on, they are the LED ones on a Titanium, but when I have the lights on the Auto position the dipped beams are on also, just checked this morning again and they are deffo on even in broad daylight.

No, that does not sound right Scotty Pro, my LED drl's will light up only in daylight with Auto position selected. Just a thought, make sure the light sensor is not blocked or covered as that will keep the lights on..

• Like 1

On 6/19/2016 at 4:37 PM, rocket_111 said:

No, that does not sound right Scotty Pro, my LED drl's will light up only in daylight with Auto position selected. Just a thought, make sure the light sensor is not blocked or covered as that will keep the lights on..

Windscreen is perfectly clear and looking at the three sensor from the front I cannot see anything that would interfere with them. Got it booked in on Friday so will see what they say

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club