Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faint squeeking sound near timing belt?

Afzal123

Hi All. New to this forum but hoping you guys could help me out. 

I have a 59 plate fiesta 1.4 Zetec Petrol currently on 69600 miles. Just recently i have noticed a very faint squeeking noise when the car is idle. I only notice it when i'm not in a noisy area. Seems to be coming from the aux belt or timing belt area but cant pin point at this moment in time. 

Below is a link to a video i took. You may have to put the volume up and listen carefully in the background you can hear a very faint squeeking noise as or as if something is rubbing. Any ideas guys? 

Thanks!

Is the car due a cam belt change?

If so changing the tensioner and water pump too might be prudent, and get rid of the squeak. Try running the engine with the aux belt off for a few moments and see if you can eliminate that first though.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

well the car has done 69k and Ford recommend changing 8 years or 100k miles. Based on that i wouldnt expect it to need a change just yet. Will see if i can drill down further with the noise. 

17 minutes ago, Afzal123 said:

well the car has done 69k and Ford recommend changing 8 years or 100k miles. Based on that i wouldnt expect it to need a change just yet. Will see if i can drill down further with the noise. 

That's only a recommendation it's different on all cars and depends on usage

1 hour ago, Afzal123 said:

On my 1.4 TDCI I think its something like 120k miles...its a rubber belt, get it changed at around 70-80k, I wouldn't really want a heat cycled piece of rubber to be under tension for that long and then expect it not to give way.

Thanks guys! How much would you guys expect in terms of cost, for changing the timing belt, water pump and Aux belt?

Don't exclude the tensioner pulley.

You can usually get the required parts as a kit from a decent motor factors, belt/s, tensioner and pump etc but the coolant will also get changed.

Ring around some decent independent garages nearby, get a few quotes, maybe see if they're happy for you to supply the bits? Some don't like that because of warranty.

I'd say somewhere around £250 - £350.

3 hours ago, Ffoxy said:

Don't exclude the tensioner pulley.

You can usually get the required parts as a kit from a decent motor factors, belt/s, tensioner and pump etc but the coolant will also get changed.

Ring around some decent independent garages nearby, get a few quotes, maybe see if they're happy for you to supply the bits? Some don't like that because of warranty.

I'd say somewhere around £250 - £350.

Defiantly don't forget the tensionor pulley - all the belt might be brand new after a belt change but if the tensioner pulley seizes it could throw the belt off.

Perhaps look to get a timing belt kit interdependently,then ask a local garage to fit it so its just the labour parts etc - you can also ask them to return the belts etc so you can check the condition. 

that noise is the waterpump seal squeaking, unfortunatly unless the garage has the correct tools to replace the waterpump without removing the timing belt, you will then need to replace the timing belt as the waterpump has the timing belt tensioner attached.

11 hours ago, iantt said:

that noise is the waterpump seal squeaking, unfortunatly unless the garage has the correct tools to replace the waterpump without removing the timing belt, you will then need to replace the timing belt as the waterpump has the timing belt tensioner attached.

Well I guess it would make more sense to change both, the timing belt and waterpump. Does this suggest that it is loosing coolant?

They can squeak regardless of coolant loss or not.

Have been quoted by Concorde Auto Centre for timing belt change, water pump and Aux belt for £309 fitted. Does this seem reasonable? Will also check out my local garage.

I did say £250 - £300.....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club