Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Esso Supreme+ Diesel - Any Good?

jmurray01

I was filling the Hyundai with petrol yesterday at Esso (a rarity as I normally just use Tesco) and discovered that as well as having Supreme unleaded, they also had a Supreme option for diesel fuel too.

The 405 (1.9 InDirect Injection turbo diesel) normally just gets Tesco standard diesel, with a bottle of Redex every now and again, but instead of using Redex (which probably does nothing anyway) I was thinking of switching to Esso Supreme diesel.  It is more expensive, but the car's health is more important to me than saving a few pounds per tank - plus if it improves the MPG then that would be outweighed anyway.

Just wondering if anybody here has used that fuel and if they noticed an improvement...

Its no different than using redex in my opinion.  I use Vpower petrol as I do actually get more miles per tank + it apparently cleans the engine. I can't remember if Vpower improved my diesel engine as that was about 4-5 years ago.  I'm only saying Vpower here as there isn't an Esso station near me

17 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

Its no different than using redex in my opinion.  I use Vpower petrol as I do actually get more miles per tank + it apparently cleans the engine. I can't remember if Vpower improved my diesel engine as that was about 4-5 years ago.  I'm only saying Vpower here as there isn't an Esso station near me

Yeah, I think I'll stick to my current regime of using standard Tesco diesel and adding a bottle of Redex every 2-3 tanks.  The Hyundai needs a clean out as it isn't running great (has plenty of power and doesn't misfire - but idles badly) so I'll put some Redex in that and fill it with Supreme unleaded when I get paid and see if that works.  Being a V6 it does benefit more from higher octane fuel than a 3 or 4 cylinder would.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Yeah, I think I'll stick to my current regime of using standard Tesco diesel and adding a bottle of Redex every 2-3 tanks.  The Hyundai needs a clean out as it isn't running great (has plenty of power and doesn't misfire - but idles badly) so I'll put some Redex in that and fill it with Supreme unleaded when I get paid and see if that works.  Being a V6 it does benefit more from higher octane fuel than a 3 or 4 cylinder would.

I think it's all more down to personal beliefs/preference really.  I'd used the Redex advanced treatment thing but I haven't got the little nozzle for the 'easy fill' so it just goes on the floor lmao

Probably because I'm a bit tight, I've been using BP ultimate for a few months and doing some calculations to see if it will save me money in the long run. Short answer is, Ive noticed no better mpg from it. That's not to say another car wouldn't get improved milage.

As for supermarket diesel, i steer clear, excuse the pun.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GMo said:

Probably because I'm a bit tight, I've been using BP ultimate for a few months and doing some calculations to see if it will save me money in the long run. Short answer is, Ive noticed no better mpg from it. That's not to say another car wouldn't get improved milage.

A lot of people say that, but I disagree.  The fuel all comes from the same place and meets the same regulations, plus supermarket petrol stations are normally busier than Shell or Esso stations, therefore the fuel is fresher. 

We used Tesco unleaded (95) in all our cars since 2008 and not one has so much as needed the fuel filter changed!

Your cars will have needed a filter change since 2008, you just didn't notice! :laugh:  Petrol filters don't need doing anywhere near as often as diesel filters though, regardless of the fuel used.

I wouldn't bother with redex, it honestly doesn't do anything and for someone as tight as yourself it's completely unnecessary!  Supreme diesel 'may' help reduce knock in an IDI but I doubt you'd notice any other benefits at all.  Run a bit of veg if you want to clean the system, but be prepared to change the fuel filter a couple of days later.

I need to fill up today and contemplating some branded stuff after months of Sainsburys...trip computer average is 49mpg this time and I've lost almost 100 miles from the tank!!

Btw, the idle issue is probably a vacuum leak or a faulty ICV on the Santa Fe. :smile:

A lot of people say that, but I disagree.  The fuel all comes from the same place and meets the same regulations, plus supermarket petrol stations are normally busier than Shell or Esso stations, therefore the fuel is fresher. 

We used Tesco unleaded (95) in all our cars since 2008 and not one has so much as needed the fuel filter changed!

Maybe supermarket's petrol is OK, I don't know. I was referring to diesel. Supermarket's will buy from the cheapest supplier which, while it will presumably meet Euro regs, will typically have a higher bio diesel content, sometimes over 18% (which is a lot when you consider some car manufacturers specifically recommend not using over 6% bio diesel in their engines). For the sake of a few quid a month I'll stick with the branded stuff and be kind to my engine.

P.S. You should probably think about changing your fuel filters. Unless you've been doing about 3k miles a year since 08 they're well overdue.

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Your cars will have needed a filter change since 2008, you just didn't notice! :laugh:  Petrol filters don't need doing anywhere near as often as diesel filters though, regardless of the fuel used.

I wouldn't bother with redex, it honestly doesn't do anything and for someone as tight as yourself it's completely unnecessary!  Supreme diesel 'may' help reduce knock in an IDI but I doubt you'd notice any other benefits at all.  Run a bit of veg if you want to clean the system, but be prepared to change the fuel filter a couple of days later.

I need to fill up today and contemplating some branded stuff after months of Sainsburys...trip computer average is 49mpg this time and I've lost almost 100 miles from the tank!!

Btw, the idle issue is probably a vacuum leak or a faulty ICV on the Santa Fe. :smile:

I meant over all the cars we have had since 2008, so the usage has been spread out over each subsequent vehicle.  The 405's fuel filter has been changed every 12,000 miles since the last owner bought it at 56k (now 126k) and I'll be continuing with that schedule, as being an IDI diesel it needs a clear flow of fuel to run well, if at all! 

Petrol fuel filters can easily exceed 100,000 miles without any reduction in performance or starting though, especially if you keep the fuel level above a quarter of a tank at all times.  Mind you, even letting the fuel level go to almost empty didn't do any harm with the Fiesta which exceeded 80,000 miles on the original filter and had no problems.  Not saying the filter wasn't dirty, but it still started and ran fine (with as much acceleration as you could expect from a 1.25), so there really is nothing to worry about other than perhaps a tiny bit of extra stress on the fuel pump.  Unlike an oil filter which stops filtering efficiently after 6,000 miles (give or take) and is much more crucial.

My sister in law works at Shell(forgot that was the main reason for going as well, FAMILY DISCOUNT!!!)  They(shell) clean their tank out weekly, apparently supermarkets don't.  Reason being, petrol is shells main income 

5 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

My sister in law works at Shell(forgot that was the main reason for going as well, FAMILY DISCOUNT!!!)  They(shell) clean their tank out weekly, apparently supermarkets don't.  Reason being, petrol is shells main income 

Lucky so and so.  I'm not disputing that the fuel is of better quality in Shell and Esso, but just that it is also acceptable in supermarkets too.  Well, maybe except Asda which I refuse to go to for shopping or petrol.

1 minute ago, jmurray01 said:

Lucky so and so.  I'm not disputing that the fuel is of better quality in Shell and Esso, but just that it is also acceptable in supermarkets too.  Well, maybe except Asda which I refuse to go to for shopping or petrol.

I try and avoid the supermarkets where I can.  You hear to many horror stories & for me, a couple of pence a litre more expensive is cheaper than fixing the car.  Asda I'll give you that one, I hate them, no idea why either, think it's the colour

1 hour ago, Preecematt said:

I try and avoid the supermarkets where I can.  You hear to many horror stories & for me, a couple of pence a litre more expensive is cheaper than fixing the car.  Asda I'll give you that one, I hate them, no idea why either, think it's the colour

One type of petrol station I always try to avoid is the small deserted ones.  I always imagine the fuel to have sat in their tanks for weeks and to be stale and dirty.  Perhaps that is a misconception but that's how my mind works.  Plus they normally have ridiculously high prices (over £1.20 per litre!).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club