Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

WiFi/Ethernet help.

jace1969

Dont know if anyone can give a bit of advice on this,i will put something onto 'My virgin media' when i have time.

I have the 200meg speed and just done a speed check and its a bit strange.

My iPhone 6s is the best,never under 190meg and ultra fast.

My WiFi is very good around 150 to 170meg,put that down to the signal being wifi and time of day,all running 5G

The weird one is Ethernet, tries hard to get over 100meg and i have tried 3 other cables and even shorter ones next to the hub2AC,even tried other slots being 4.

Never had any problem at all and i mean this as the signal is always spot on and never drops out and always get it good,

Is there setting im missing in the setting on the hub to change the Ethernet side as i cant see it being my laptop if WiFi is a good 50 to 70 more and same card.

Ethernet ports come in 10/100/1000Mbps varieties. My guess is your hub has done the standard and put cheap 10/100 ports on. It is very common. Sometimes you may find 1 port out of the 4/5 on the HUB runs at 1000, but that depends on the hub in question. 

The hub is the new superhub 2 AC with 4 x 1000Mpbs as stated 0n the back and also on the reviews,its not a major problem because i always

use WiFi and in main time i get around 150 Mbps but i did think Ethernet should be better than WiFi not this way round so thinking of the setting.

Your laptop nic card is probably only rated at 10/100 dude. If you are connected via Ethernet you will get the speed of whichever device it the lowest.

WiFi has many variables,  I would say your speeds are good , again only as good as the sum of both parts

Press Win Key + R on your keyboard at the same time to bring up the run box.

Type: ncpa.cpl and hit enter

Right click your ethernet connection and click status.

It should then show Speed. This is your connection speed to the switch/router, which will be the max, no matter how fast the connection to the internet is from your router.

The laptop is a HP with i7 processor and the WiFi card is a Dual Band Wireless AC 3165

The other is Realtek PSle Family

So if i have WiFi connected and put the cable in it will go between the 2 on the connections or as you say just the lowest.

I will turn the WiFi off and put the cable in and also check it with those buttons to press,i just thought it was strange.

Edit........Just looked at the both on there own connected and the status it like a true speed check.

Is there anywhere where i can find the nic card and WiFi side to see what they can take to the max as

the WiFi seems a better chip as i can hit around the 150Mbps area but never gets over the 100 on cable,well 101.

You need gigabit ethernet to overcome the 100mpbs limit.

That requires compatible ports at each end and a full 8 wire ethernet cable. (Many cheap/bundle ones are only 4 wire).

No WiFi will ever beat gigabit LAN :D

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

You need gigabit ethernet to overcome the 100mpbs limit.

That requires compatible ports at each end and a full 8 wire ethernet cable. (Many cheap/bundle ones are only 4 wire).

No WiFi will ever beat gigabit LAN :D

The superhub 2 AC has the 4 Gigabit ports but i dont think my laptop can go above 100 on the ethernet or all my 4 cables are no good,1 is a belkin.

As for the WiFi i cant answer that as it goes around the 150 area so must be ok so dont know what that could be.

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 0:14 PM, jace1969 said:

Dont know if anyone can give a bit of advice on this,i will put something onto 'My virgin media' when i have time.

I have the 200meg speed and just done a speed check and its a bit strange.

My iphone 6s is the best,never under 190meg and ultra fast.

My WiFi is very good around 150 to 170meg,put that down to the signal being wifi and time of day,all running 5G

The weird one is Ethernet, tries hard to get over 100meg and i have tried 3 other cables and even shorter ones next to the hub2AC,even tried other slots being 4.

Never had any problem at all and i mean this as the signal is always spot on and never drops out and always get it good,

Is there setting im missing in the setting on the hub to change the Ethernet side as i cant see it being my laptop if WiFi is a good 50 to 70 more and same card.

Have you tried using a CAT7 cable instead of cat5 

they have identical RJ45 plugs but capable of up to 7gig per second transfer rate 👌

Bought all mine on eBay although I've got 87mb broadband I have noticed faster transfer of data using CAT7 cables 

link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331640857289 

7 hours ago, Lenny said:

Have you tried using a CAT7 cable instead of cat5 

they have identical RJ45 plugs but capable of up to 7gig per second transfer rate 👌

Bought all mine on eBay although I've got 87mb broadband I have noticed faster transfer of data using CAT7 cables 

link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331640857289 

Never seen a cat 7 one,i will have to sort 2 of them out but nee to be long ones.

So i have got whats going on with the Ethernet side but does AC accept upto 200Mbps

• Like 1

I've heard that even the older Cat 5e cables are ok for gigabit, and would think any laptop / desktop made in this decade should support gigabit ethernet.

Did you check the speed of the connection reported in the adapter settings? This should be either 1000 Mbps or 100.

Cat 5 is fine for gigabit, but you need all 8 wires connected. On most cables you can see if it is 4 or 8 wire by looking at the connector as they are usually transparent.

I've run Cat 6 to the other end of the house, but only because it is a long run through the loft and past lots of electric cables.

Even if Cat 7 can carry 7 gigabit, the connection will only be as fast as the ports at each end.

The network negotiation basically connects at the highest speed of the slowest component, be it cable or ports.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Never seen a cat 7 one,i will have to sort 2 of them out but nee to be long ones.

So i have got whats going on with the Ethernet side but does AC accept upto 200Mbps

The cables I've installed were 50 Metre using them for tv box's in upstairs rooms 

I've also ran a Cat6 cable the length of my flat, just so I don't have to rely on wifi for my PC. I was lazy though so it just runs along the edge of the wall lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phil 87 said:

I've heard that even the older Cat 5e cables are ok for gigabit, and would think any laptop / desktop made in this decade should support gigabit ethernet.

Did you check the speed of the connection reported in the adapter settings? This should be either 1000 Mbps or 100.

Yes i checked it and its right,the nic card will only take 100Mbps  so that the problem there.

I know i have AC on the WiFi but i can only get around 130 to 150 so is this down to how good the card is for wifi.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club