Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Lighting Malfunctioning

jamestyl

I have an issue with the adaptive lighting on my Ford Focus. Within a mile of driving, the driver side headlight points far down the right and the adaptive lighting freezes entirely. The right side headlamp is then entirely frozen in this position, even if turning on full beam.

Only when the car comes to a stop does it reset itself and adaptive lighting continues for another mile or so before the problem repeats itself.

Its a new style 2015 titanium x, 10,000 on the clock.

Ive taken it back to the dealer I purchased it in January from but they can't replicate or find a fault (not surprising as it only manifests when the car is moving at night)

Anyone heard of this before?

The cause of this problem will most likely be a defective Headlight Control Module (HCM). The HCM is only present on vehicles with original HID and adaptive lighting and controls the adaptive lighting and height adjustment of the lights.

Your Ford dealer should easily be able to replicate this problem. Covering the light sensor to simulate night and driving the car should replicate the problem.

• Like 1

Very similar fault on my ST.

Left headlight shoots to the left and stays for random periods before resetting or when you restart the car activating the self levelling test.

The answer was a new headlight unit.

Strangely enough the replacement one is pointing too low so they ordered another light which is being fitted tomorrow.

Master Tech spent 2 hours trying to programme the new light to the car but it wouldn't point high enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

I've seen this reported on a few 2015 Foci.

Hopefully Ford have identified what caused the fault and the new clusters/modules have fixed the problem.

Video of the problem. Ford (Evans Halshaw) still cannot diagnose or fix though?

Easy fix, it just needs a new headlight unit.

It's a position sensor fault in the headlight itself that causes the problem.

Fair enough it took my dealer 2 goes to correct my fault but a new headlight was definitely the answer as everything is as it should be now.

Obviously whoever makes the units for Ford need to improve their quality control procedures.

My car was diagnosed by the sensor being covered and the steering being operated while the wheels were on turn plates (usually used when altering wheel alignment).

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I do not know English so much 

I have such a problem not solved

On 27/04/2016 at 9:02 AM, Stoney871 said:

Very similar fault on my ST.

Left headlight shoots to the left and stays for random periods before resetting or when you restart the car activating the self levelling test.

The answer was a new headlight unit.

Strangely enough the replacement one is pointing too low so they ordered another light which is being fitted tomorrow.

Master Tech spent 2 hours trying to programme the new light to the car but it wouldn't point high enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I had this problem too. Was a new light unit for me also.

Regarding the height, I had this with my new one and I solved it myself with a screw driver. There is a white turn screw like on a halogen unit that is accessible without removing the light.

The best way I found to align them is to drive around  with them in auto/adaptive mode until you find a flat surface and a flat wall, and the beams should go flat. You can now align them as the flat beam on both lights should be identical heights.

On 23.03.2017 at 2:25 PM, m.cekic6 said:

I do not know English so much 

I have such a problem not solved

I have the same problem. I also live in Turkey. My email is tugrayanik@hotmail.com

Member m.cekic6 is from Turkey also.(Mustafa bey bana ulaşırsanız beraber çözüm arayalım)

• 10 months later...

Save starting a new thread but mine developed on the same side as @Stoney871, mine would straighten up every time I was stationary though.

Car went in today for it and they say they've just reset the position on IDS and it should have resolved it. I guess I'll find out this evening...

It will need a new headlamp.
Mine had two as the first replacement one wouldn't program properly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What I don't get is that it repositions itself when I'm stationary. Like it knows it was in the wrong position. But within a minute of driving it will move left again.. 

Call the car Clarence [emoji41]6c31dbab4f014792a665af9d40edaedd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Well I've got a sort-of-new headlight.

I'm borrowing the one off their 17 plate demonstrator (and they will run with mine) to see if it is the headlight. It's £600 (!) a light so they want to be sure it's that or Ford won't pay them back under warranty.

I'm happy with that, hopefully it will work now, then they can get the new replacement on order for me.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 6:16 PM, Stoney871 said:

Call the car Clarence emoji41.png

That's a blast from the past :laugh:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mjt said:

That's a blast from the past :laugh:

Very apt though 😊

17 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Well I've got a sort-of-new headlight.

I'm borrowing the one off their 17 plate demonstrator (and they will run with mine) to see if it is the headlight. It's £600 (!) a light so they want to be sure it's that or Ford won't pay them back under warranty.

I'm happy with that, hopefully it will work now, then they can get the new replacement on order for me.

Your dealer are idiots. Mine was constantly resetting itself when stationary too, and throwing an error up on the dash. New headlight fixed it, problem solved.

16 minutes ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Your dealer are idiots. Mine was constantly resetting itself when stationary too, and throwing an error up on the dash. New headlight fixed it, problem solved.

Why idiots? I don't blame them for wanting to make sure it's a new headlight that will fix it. Despite being same issue as you Ford have obviously not published anything about it.

Ford won't pay for the part if they don't agree which leaves the garage out of pocket.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just had the same problem on my ST3 new unit had to be fitted under warranty.  Muppets at Perry's Mansfield tried telling me it needed a new high beam bulb....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all. 

Have this same issue on my 2015 Focus ST-3 except mines used and now outside manufacturer warranty. The dealership I bought it from give a year warranty (I've had the car 5 months now) but say they don't cover headlights as it's wear and tear. Any advice on this as they've quoted me £1700 fitted inc VAT for two headlight units... Surely this isn't wear and tear. Its not something you consume like tyres, brake pads/discs etc. 

On 2/21/2019 at 11:05 PM, PantherBlackST3 said:

Hi all. 

Have this same issue on my 2015 Focus ST-3 except mines used and now outside manufacturer warranty. The dealership I bought it from give a year warranty (I've had the car 5 months now) but say they don't cover headlights as it's wear and tear. Any advice on this as they've quoted me £1700 fitted inc VAT for two headlight units... Surely this isn't wear and tear. Its not something you consume like tyres, brake pads/discs etc. 

If you bought it less than 6 months ago, the burden of proof is on them to prove it wasn't faulty at the time of sale.

Your consumer rights far outweigh any warranty at this point.

I'd remind them of the Consumer Protection Act and say you will be pursuing a claim under this if they do not repair it.

Speak to Citizens advice if they don't budge easy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My left headlamp unit had this fault, took it to Ford and they replaced the unit. They also replaced the right headlamp unit as the old led strip was whiter than the new one. 3 months later... the right one is doing the same thing!! And I'm 2 months out of warranty. But surely they would have a parts extended warranty if they replaced it ..well I'm hoping so! 

• 6 months later...
On 2/21/2019 at 11:05 PM, PantherBlackST3 said:

Hi all. 

Hi I’m in the same boat mines out of ford warranty but still in dealers warranty but will not cover headlights quoted £700 plus fitting for one