Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(Pics) Marks on paint that disappear when wet

Jason87

2 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

Hi Jason. How does the affected area feel like when you run your finger lightly over it?

It still feels pretty smooth, it's almost as if it's a bad spray job. I'm mostly worried about rust as well as it not looking the best the rising prob is my worst fear being only a 2011 that I've just bought.

The side skirts on my st are totally sand blasted underneath, it is what it is, most car will do the same without mudflaps, wouldn't worry about it myself , could prob get a smart repair done on it for not too much money. Personally I am dealing with it by stone chipping the underside of the skirts

Try meguires ultimate compound. Get their applicators too. It's really excellent stuff. I've used it on paint flaws on my car and that's a 14 plate focus.

• Like 2

Conventional waxes and polishes wont help much, use a nano sealant like Sonax Xtreme brilliant shine detailer. A few coats of that will last months and months and bead water like no wax based product ever could.

I have to disagree on that one.. I've tried waxes which have had durability of upto 9 months. They were infused with Sio2 but they're still wax based :)

Don't take the "off the shelf" products & their claims as gospel.

Men in their sheds often come up with crazy concoctions! I'd class myself as one of them

Also, a polish/compound won't add paint on to areas where it's worn/chipped away.. the most it will do is wear down the surrounding area making the damage less obvious and judging by the pictures you'd be lucky for that really :(

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

On 08/05/2016 at 10:59 PM, GingerFlame said:

I have to disagree on that one.. I've tried waxes which have had durability of upto 9 months. They were infused with Sio2 but they're still wax based :)

Don't take the "off the shelf" products & their claims as gospel.

Men in their sheds often come up with crazy concoctions! I'd class myself as one of them

Also, a polish/compound won't add paint on to areas where it's worn/chipped away.. the most it will do is wear down the surrounding area making the damage less obvious and judging by the pictures you'd be lucky for that really :(

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Yes ive tried such waxes to, but they arent really waxes, the wax is just the carrier, or they are synthetic waxes, which are just sealants in a n oily  form. Ultimately they are just a more conventional and less effective way to applying these modern paint sealants. By 'conventional' waxes and polishes I meant the tree wax/bees wax based junk they sell in Halfords

I dont take the products claims as gospel, I use them and report what I experience. My last car, an MG ZT, was machine polished in 2012 and had nano based products applied. When I sold it this year it was beading and shining just as much as it did the day it was done. My focus will get the same treatment when I can find the time.

While compounding the surface may not fix the problem it will likely make it a lot less obvious, especially if you can then get a high shine on it, my ZT also had road rash on that area, but you would be hard pressed to notice unless looking closely.

I wonder if you miss your ZT like I miss mine Chris.

Jason it may well seem you need to get those areas re painted as after looking closer at your pics it looks like gravel rash has broken the lacquer and also the colour but not the primer so don't worry about rust. Chips away are recommended and they're reasonably priced. Polishing those areas with anything will make it worse.

3 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

I wonder if you miss your ZT like I miss mine Chris.

Jason it may well seem you need to get those areas re painted as after looking closer at your pics it looks like gravel rash has broken the lacquer and also the colour but not the primer so don't worry about rust. Chips away are recommended and they're reasonably priced. Polishing those areas with anything will make it worse.

So left un treated won't cause any probs apart from cosmetic?

Correct Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the same problem on the bottom of the doors at front also, just washed the car and it makes it look like there's dirt/spray from the road but it's tiny chips :(

image.jpeg

Whats the latest with the back doors speckled areas? Have you tried any products yet Jason?

There's isn't anything I can put on it. I had a close look just now and was touching it, scared my self thinking I could feel the film laquer kind of moving as I pressed it, now I'm paranoid the laquer will peel :(

Oh dear Jason. I suggest for peace of mind is find a paint shop or 2 and get their opinion.

1 hour ago, tazzman600 said:

Oh dear Jason. I suggest for peace of mind is find a paint shop or 2 and get their opinion.

I will do, so howcome this doesn't happen on everyone else's focus then? Thought it's a common problem due to design 

I don't know Jason. My car is deep impact blue in colour and there's no sign of what your car is suffering.

Let us know what the paint shops say.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club