Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel gauge showing 3/4 left but range

Jason87

Shows 120 miles, so somethings up with the fuel gauge, shah could this be? Didn't expect to get probs like this on a 2011 mk2

Have you just bought it? How far have you driven it since buying it? Have you reset the gauge since you've had it? 

Bought on sat and prob done 120 miles, I don't think the gauge has moved much since, but the range showing now 110 odd miles but gauges on over 3/4 isn't good, I even did the dial test Incase the dial was stuck or something but still the same

4 minutes ago, Jason87 said:

Bought on sat and prob done 120 miles, I don't think the gauge has moved much since, but the range showing now 110 odd miles but gauges on over 3/4 isn't good, I even did the dial test Incase the dial was stuck or something but still the same

Reset it and see if it changes over the next week, even disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour so the ECU has to learn your driving habits.

Is it common for the gauge to do this?

fill her up so you know its full, then just drive, itll learn, if ive  been diving like a granny for a tank full it can sometimes register over 700 miles available, sometimes if ive beren kicking the balls out of it, it says theres only 300.  as the tank empties it will recalculate it, so long as you don't reset it, it will adapt to your driving and will be more or less accurate.

You can't reset the range the anyway can you? Only the mpg

This is what I mean

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Jason87 said:

This is what I mean

image.jpeg

Your gauge is showing just over 1/4 tank of fuel so with 102 miles left to empty there is nothing wrong! I don't see what the problem is here? The 0 on the gauge is when your fuel tank iS EMPTY, 1/1 is FULL. 

yeah, that looks about right, my fuel warning light pops on at around 100 miles and just below where your gauge is showing.

On a side note, I want your cluster! trying to find one on fleebay (for a sensible amount) is like finding hens teeth. 

What? My gauge is showing 3/4 full lol as in almost a whole tank 

Oh what an idiot I am haha! The gauge goes the opposite way from my old car!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jason87 said:

Oh what an idiot I am haha! The gauge goes the opposite way from my old car!

Not sure if you'll know this or not but the fuel pump icon on your gauge has a small triangle on it as well, that is to show which side the fuel filler on the car is situated. (Just a wee bit of info that a few people don't realise)

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

yeah, that looks about right, my fuel warning light pops on at around 100 miles and just below where your gauge is showing.

On a side note, I want your cluster! trying to find one on fleebay (for a sensible amount) is like finding hens teeth. 

Why's that? Do you have the old cluster with the small obc display?

2 hours ago, Jason87 said:

Why's that? Do you have the old cluster with the small obc display?

Mine is the display that's about 2/3 of yours, about an inch shorter than yours.

WIN_20160504_14_22_10_Pro.jpg

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Not sure if you'll know this or not but the fuel pump icon on your gauge has a small triangle on it as well, that is to show which side the fuel filler on the car is situated. (Just a wee bit of info that a few people don't realise)

I didn't know that until it was pointed out when my dad collected his Fiesta a month ago, lol.

Got back, checked mine and was like, "Oh yeah!". Haha.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I didn't know that until it was pointed out when my dad collected his Fiesta a month ago, lol.

Got back, checked mine and was like, "Oh yeah!". Haha.

and  if you look at the fuel pump icon, the pump hose also tells you which side to fill up, at least it has on all the cars ive driven, they don't always have the little arrow but the icon does the same job, from what ive seen

3 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Mine is the display that's about 2/3 of yours, about an inch shorter than yours.

WIN_20160504_14_22_10_Pro.jpg

Mine has satnav so I guess that's why my display is bigger 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club