Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch slipping under hard acceleration

Jack McGuire

Hi guys, bit of advice on cost and what parts im going to expect to have to change.

Clutch is slipping under load, usually around 2,200-2,400 then it grips again but with less power.

I know im looking at replacing at least the clutch but is it worth doing the DMF too? What sort of price have people had it done for in the past?

Thanks.

definitely worth doing the DMF, its an expensive job to do the lot but will cost you a shed load more if you have to drop the box for a second time to change the DMF a couple of months down the line, DMF is about the same price as the clutch kit, the saving is the time needed to drop the box

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Ok, both it is, got some saving to do :sad: not a cheap job at all

Just out of curiosity, would this ever need doing in a mk2.5 2010 TDCi Powershift? I'm guessing they have a dual clutch system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A DMF should only be replaced if it out of spec. People are paying money for a new DPF quite often when there is no need. There should be specifications on what is acceptable for LUK probably around 25-30mm of movement between the masses. If within the manufacturers specs then there is no need to change it. If it is noisy then yes the play will be high and it will want changing. I would not replace a DPF unless it is out of spec. My ZTT has its original DMF and that has done 140K miles on its original DMF and had a clutch change done without DMF and had no issue from 117-145K miles after changing the clutch with vibration or noises.

In my opinion it's a fallacy that DMF's fail as often as are reported. A lot of garages now won't do a clutch without changing a DMF which costs owners a lot of money especially on older cars.

• Like 2

Find out what the tolerance specs are for the OEM flywheel and get it checked for movement between the two masses while the box is off. If it's out of spec then get it replaced if it's in spec leave it well alone in my opinion.

• Like 1

£850 for clutch, DMF and the slave cylinder, getting MOT too. Expensive, would happen just before TAX and MOT are due! XD

£850 for clutch and dmf on a focus? That's taking the biscuit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, the clutch and the DMF has been replaced along with a few bulbs and the MOT came to £908~, got the car back on Monday.

Some weird noises though. Whilst accelerating you get a sort of chugging sound which stops upon putting the clutch in, im also getting another sound which sounds a lot like shaking a handful of screws, rattling sound.

I dont know whether this is just because its bedding in? driven just over 100 miles on it so far with a lighter driving style than normal, have noticed it doesn't pull as quick either?

Never had to have a clutch changed on a car so am unsure XD

Cheers.

id have thought it would take time to bed in but I'm no expert, did you pay the full 850 for that job then or did you get it cheaper

?

• Like 1

ah ok, I payed the full 850 for the job, the rest was for the MOT, only 2 advisories (below) but they will have to wait a couple of months so I can recover from this cost XD

nearside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
offside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

2 minutes ago, Jack McGuire said:

ah ok, I payed the full 850 for the job, the rest was for the MOT, only 2 advisories (below) but they will have to wait a couple of months so I can recover from this cost XD

nearside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
offside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Ouch, its one of those jobs that looks easy enough to do but might be a pain in the !Removed!.  my DMF is knocking about at the moment and there is a tiny about of slip when I boot it up a hill, but shes still stalling on the clutch test down to 2nd gear so I think I'm good for awhile yet.

Yeah, they were advisories last year too, at least it'll be a clean sheet afterwards! 

The job looked awful to do from what I have read, pretty much everything has to come out for it! XD Mine was knocking around for a good while (I called it around 4/5 months ago) but was reacting fine in the most part so left it as long as i could afford to. Then it started slipping all over the place!

£908!?  Is the car even worth it? :unsure:

Clutches do need to bed in for a bit, you can sometimes slip them by planting your foot with a brand new one which may give the illusion of less power...then you get that awful burning clutch smell as well!  The battery was also disconnected so the ECU has to 'relearn' your driving habits over the first few miles.

However, there should be no rattling from anything since the change!  Somethings loose that shouldn't be.  Either have a poke around yourself or get the garage to check it over.

Clutches aren't that difficult as long as you've got someone to help lift the gearbox.  Just time consuming really, not done one on a Focus but heres a few pics of the one I did on the '6 last week if you're interested, they're all roughly the same -

ilgH0xJ.jpg

ahZpjKB.jpg

4450Mvd.jpg

WptVPWh.jpg

Ri37xYX.jpg

5h6Y6V1.jpg

C7denow.jpg

Y93bMfH.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, bit of a cost, the car is unfortunately on finance so I was a bit stuck really, it was valued to be at £2000-£2500 so I just went ahead with it.

Yeah, its gotten better over the past couple of days but I'm not liking the new noises its making XD I went out yesterday and i think the rattle is coming from the drivers side under the bonnet, I have checked what I can check but nothing seems to be moving around from what i can see.

The other noise seems to be a rubbing noise on acceleration, defiantly related to the clutch.

Guess It'll have to go back in! (thanks for the pictures Tom, interesting to look at!)

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

£908!?  Is the car even worth it? :unsure:

Clutches do need to bed in for a bit, you can sometimes slip them by planting your foot with a brand new one which may give the illusion of less power...then you get that awful burning clutch smell as well!  The battery was also disconnected so the ECU has to 'relearn' your driving habits over the first few miles.

However, there should be no rattling from anything since the change!  Somethings loose that shouldn't be.  Either have a poke around yourself or get the garage to check it over.

Clutches aren't that difficult as long as you've got someone to help lift the gearbox.  Just time consuming really, not done one on a Focus but heres a few pics of the one I did on the '6 last week if you're interested, they're all roughly the same -

Tom, see the next time I'm back down in my home county, i might need to borrow you for a few hours! ;)

17 minutes ago, Jack McGuire said:

Yeah, bit of a cost, the car is unfortunately on finance so I was a bit stuck really, it was valued to be at £2000-£2500 so I just went ahead with it.

Yeah, its gotten better over the past couple of days but I'm not liking the new noises its making XD I went out yesterday and i think the rattle is coming from the drivers side under the bonnet, I have checked what I can check but nothing seems to be moving around from what i can see.

The other noise seems to be a rubbing noise on acceleration, defiantly related to the clutch.

Guess It'll have to go back in! (thanks for the pictures Tom, interesting to look at!)

The rattle is probably something simple, but best to have it checked out anyway.

The rubbing could be the new clutch bedding in but I can't really say without having a look.  I'm sure the garage won't mind giving it a check over considering what you paid anyway. :smile: 

6 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

Tom, see the next time I'm back down in my home county, i might need to borrow you for a few hours! ;)

Lol, no problem. :wink:  Seriously though, shame you're not closer, I'm always up for helping out with cars! 

• Like 3

The saga has ended! Took it in on Friday, mechanic drove it got it straight on the ramp and marched towards the front. The cause of the noise was a bracket (he kept saying drive shaft bracket so I think its this, was extremely tired by then XD) Took it off, gave it a bit of straightening up with the persuader and then Locktite then the noise was no more. He also popped a  few washer onto the heat shielding so that was a task I didn't have to do Saturday! She's clean and back in great shape, im happy :')

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club