Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop start system

Bobr

On Tuesday last I picked up a Fiesta ecoboost 100 with 20,000 on the clock.   Since then I've done about 200 miles, mostly in town, and the stop start system hasn't worked once.   Any advice please?

Are you sure it has it fitted my focus has a bottem on the dash with an A symble on it that's what I use to turn it off in heavy start stop traffic 

Stop start is a very fussy system.

The battery has to be above a certain charge level, it can't be too hot, too cold, there can't be too much electrical load, there can't be too much A/C load. etc.

It might need a long run to charge the battery a bit if you've been doing mostly town driving. If the car has been sat around for a bit before you bought it, that will have drained the battery too.

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Stop start is a very fussy system.

The battery has to be above a certain charge level, it can't be too hot, too cold, there can't be too much electrical load, there can't be too much A/C load. etc.

It might need a long run to charge the battery a bit if you've been doing mostly town driving. If the car has been sat around for a bit before you bought it, that will have drained the battery too.

Thanks Alex it has been stood for some time.   I'm going to Scarborough on Saturday and back via Wakefield so that should give the battery a good charge.   If it doesn't work then I'll refer it back to Ford as it has a years warranty.

I did 276 miles yesterday.   As I left Nottingham the stop start system worked twice.   It hasn't worked since.

take it back to your ford dealer, bet they say battery needs charging regardless of your journey.

Yes Ian.   It's going back tomorrow.

let us know what the outcome was when its fixed.

I will IF it's fixed.

they should be able to, you can do it if you have a battery charger, i found if you charge battery up first , then reset battery monitoring , stop start works fine after.

Funnily enough, chucking it down with rain this morning and the stop start has worked every time.:ohmy:

Did you take it back to garage for them to look at?

No I didn't as I couldn't see the point as it is now working perfectly every time.   It's colder today and i wonder if the hot temperatures we've had over the last few days have had something to do with it.

If it's too hot it won't stop to keep the coolant going round the turbo. Unless you have a newer 1.0 that's got the pump or have retro fitted it, then it will use that instead so might shut off more often.

15 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

If it's too hot it won't stop to keep the coolant going round the turbo. Unless you have a newer 1.0 that's got the pump or have retro fitted it, then it will use that instead so might shut off more often.

Thanks Alex.   I know very little about this engine never having had one before so how would I know if it has the pump?

You can see it attached to the radiator fan housing.

Difficult to know what you are looking for, I'll see if I can find a picture, if not I'll try and remember to take one on of it on my Dad's Fiesta at the weekend.

you cant exactly see it, behind a bracket, the key toknowing is to look at turbo and see the 2 coolant pipes on the right of turbo. and follow the lower pipe, if you have pump it will go dow to near bottom of radiator, if it goes down a short way and then turns back to engine , then you havent.