Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil warning light

FocusTDDI

Not sure what's causing this. oil light on my 01 1.8 tddi had started to flicker a few days ago so topped up with a litre of 5w30, now light is starting to stay on when engine is warmed up, halfway mark on temp gauge. Driving home tonight I noticed the engine seemed a little more "ticky" than usual and when I pulled up I gave it a good rev and a LOT of black smoke poured out the pipe. Please tell me this is something simple like a pressure switch and not a dead/dying engine. Car has 115,000 on the clock and has been pretty good up to now.

Okay, it's not the pressure switch, put a new one in and light is still flickering, so any ideas would be much appreciated

is your oil level ok? if your oil is disapearing along with black smoke your engine could be burning it. sounds like a head gasket or valve guides problem.

No the oil level is okay, but now the oil light is staying on yet there's no knocking from the engine. Mechanic has told me £30+ for a diagnostic test, pressure test I assume. Put some engine flush through but no luck there.

when did the car last have an oil change, as a clogged oil filter could cause the light or even the pump starting to give up.

This happened to me a few weeks ago resulting in cam belt going and having to have another engine. In future I won't ignore the light.

• 2 months later...
This happened to me a few weeks ago resulting in cam belt going and having to have another engine. In future I won't ignore the light.

Iv'e had the same proplem i changed the oil/filter job done

i would get the engine tested, make sure you are getting good oil pressure. could be a failing pump?