Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Covering the rear window?

jmurray01

Just wondering where the law stands on this, as logically I think it should be fine, but I'm sure I read somewhere that it isn't...

The question is, can you block the view from a car's rear window?  My mother will be putting advertising for her business on the Hyundai (magnetic car signs) and also wants to put a large decal in the rear window.  This would obstruct the view from the window, but that said I can't see how it is any different from those Ford Fiestas/Vauxhall Corsas (etc...) which are converted to vans and have a painted rear window (usually with a superfluous rear wiper still in situ!). 

That said, the law being the law there is probably some rule in place whereby it is illegal!

Thank you in advance for the advice, as I don't want to put the decal on and end up getting pulled over. 

Think I've read somewhere as long as you have both door mirrors to see behind then your ok, let's face it how many vans are there going around with no window/s at the back. 

11 minutes ago, Russ said:

Think I've read somewhere as long as you have both door mirrors to see behind then your ok, let's face it how many vans are there going around with no window/s at the back. 

Oh I know, but as I said the law being the law, I expect some hidden loophole which makes it illegal! :laugh:

• Like 1

From what I can recall if the signs that are put on the rear window are translucent (you can see thru it) then it's OK. If the signs are not translucent then you can get done. Vans are different simply coz they're vans. Cars are seen differently.

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Thanks Russ, that clears it up - unless there has been a revision since then...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Thanks Russ, that clears it up - unless there has been a revision since then...

Just to add to it, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm also sure you can legally black out the rear side windows and the rear windscreen totally, (as long as you have both front door mirrors)  the regulations only cover the front & front side windows from what I believe.

• Like 1

Just now, Russ said:

Just to add to it, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm also sure you can legally black out the rear side windows and the rear windscreen totally, (as long as you have both front door mirrors)  the regulations only cover the front & front side windows from what I believe.

Yes I think you can, as the Primera's back windows were very heavily tinted when we bought it and it never failed an MOT or had any issues with police etc...

• Like 1

Original privacy glass is very dark on the rears from the factory, tint levels only apply to the fronts as far as I'm aware.

Rear windows (anything behind the B pillar) can be as dark as you want.

Front side windows must allow a minimum of 70 % of light through and windscreen must allow a minimum of 75 % of light.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club