Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frequent DPF regeneration

simcor

I wish I knew why my car does so many regens and so frequently.

I went on a long run yesterday of over 60 miles, it did a Regen during that journey as I filled up before I left. I did no local running around just a steady 70mph all motorway mostly. I then came back again 70mph all the way back. Car was showing 69 odd mpg on the OBC.

I went out for a local run today and it decided to do a Regen again already. So had to go for a drive, it was trying to Regen all the way until I got to the motorway and I kept it in 4th at 70 for a good 15 miles and it stopped doing a Regen.

So I decided to fill it up and check my mpg which was a smidge under 49mpg. If I had continued to run around locally to work with how often it Regen's I doubt it would have achieved much more than 45mpg average over the tankful.

I get hardly any pressure differential on the DPF maxing out at 1.5kpa so is very unlikely the DPF is getting blocked and I suspect the filter has been gutted by the garage when it had the glow plugs done.

No issues with the way it runs no engine check lights so it can't be a DPF issue, it's just the fact it Regen's too often wasting an excess of fuel.

The only thing I can think is the DPF is not getting up to temp for it to complete a Regen so it Regen's more often.

Any thoughts anyone?

simon I feel your pain my friend lol! I think you may be right maybe the DPF is not getting hot enough to complete a full regen. There must be a sensor of some sort that starts the regen when it reaches a set temperature maybe this is not reading right or could be dirty ect. could be worth a look maybe

• Like 1

I know it uses the pressure sensor, and also various preset parameters as to when it should do a Regen. I always expect one within 50 or 60 miles of filling up with fuel. I have also done data logging when I expect it to do one and have looked at exhaust temps and it does get as high as 500-550 nut never for that long, the exhaust temp varies a lot.

It just bugs me the DPF can't be full and yet it does Regen's so often. Something just can't be quite right. I just don't know what. 

Don't active regens only kick in when it reaches a certain  amount of pressure, I'm not sure if there is anything else that can cause a build up of pressure, turbo perhaps? CAT? 

One thing I did notice on mine was that 70MPH wasn't high enough RPM, if you have a 6 speed box that will probably be even worse.  To complete an active regen I found dropping to 4th was best

• Like 2

have you checked your pipes from pressure sensor to dpf, they can detiroate and crack right next to dpf.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

Don't active regens only kick in when it reaches a certain  amount of pressure, I'm not sure if there is anything else that can cause a build up of pressure, turbo perhaps? CAT? 

One thing I did notice on mine was that 70MPH wasn't high enough RPM, if you have a 6 speed box that will probably be even worse.  To complete an active regen I found dropping to 4th was best

5 speed box on mine, active Regen's obviously don't only happen when excessive back pressure is detected considering there is very little pressure detected by mine. Unless if it is directing such low pressure so it goes into a fail safe too often Regen.

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

30 minutes ago, iantt said:

have you checked your pipes from pressure sensor to dpf, they can detiroate and crack right next to dpf.

Yep check the pressure sensor pipes and they were fine.