Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DRL on 2011 Mk3 Focus

Arwen

So I do love my new car, but really feel it is missing DRL. I like the look for these lights http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331730784026?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

Untitled.jpg

As I have never done any electrical work on a car before, I am wondering how easy/straight forward they are to fit? I would be tempted to ask a garage to fit them for me, but unsure if garages will fit parts that I have supplied?

Has anyone fitted these ones before? How do they look? Do they work ok when you have auto lights? 

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_nolden_daytime_running_lights_with_gloss_black_bezel_f_1746357_c_997.htm

These are what I got fitted. A Ford garage fitted mine for me. 

They are so bright and make the car stand out from the front. 

This is my car with drls:

5730b56c8cd0a_ImageUploadedByFordOC14628

Sent from the pub with a pint in the other hand.

• Like 1

Arwen look again CAREFULLY at that advert you posted. They are NOT DRL's but a trim piece.

You have 2 options to get DRL's.

1 is to replace you headlights with headlights that have them already (eBay scrapyard to source them)

2 is to get those as others have mentioned HOWEVER there is another type that fits as kpg's do BUT the LED's are horizontal and look so much better. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

you can get drls that replace the foglamps and incorporate the fog as the lamp, but dont look as efective as seperate drls.

• Like 1

My drl s as per my 1st post. Made by Nolden and fitted by Ford . 

image.jpeg

I agree with Tazzman600 there is only really 2 options: the front triangular bumper or replacement headlights-just make sure they are very bright and preferably 5000k to 6000k color temp(not too blue) picture has osram 5200k for bumper and osram 5600k for headlight.They come with drl relays and are fairly straight forward to install.Good luck

DRL CAR.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not really a fan of the triangle DRL, I prefer them in the headlights. 

Did the MK3 come with DRL as an optional extra then? Anyone have a part number for the headlights with DRL that fit? 

You'll need to get headlight units from a titanium x car. They come as standard with inbuilt DRL's. Like I said before try find Di G a pair on eBay.

• Like 2

Mmmmm fugleman I quite like the look of your car with those DRL's. Might just get some for my deep impact blue tit x. Thanks for posting the pic.

Thanks Tazz, I'll keep an eye out for them :-) 

• Like 1

It was damn hard to find decent headlights with projectors and drl's in australia (RHD)but for au $499 price was ok and they look ok-http://marsperformance.com.au/Black-LED-DRL-Day-Time-Projector-Head-Lights-Ford-Focus-LW-12-15

real oem was too expensive and same as ordering from china.Bear in mind some come with halogen projectors and an ECE cutoff so hid bulbs are too wild! thus i had to fit Bi-xenon: Mini H1 projectors with low DOT cutoff to run the 5500k bulbs.Some really nice headlights out there for the focus if you are willing to spend the money.

Again a simpler/cheaper option is to replace the foglights like Iantt stated(see pic) but a nice set of projector headlights with in built Drl's can't be beat(just money!Untitled.jpg)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes KPG they are the same ones i have installed-they use halogen projectors that look good with say osram nightbreaker/cool blue intense bulbs-but as I stated before i ended up pulling them apart(couldn't help myself) and fitted mini h1 projectors with the yeaky 5500k bulbs(see picts) a few months back- makes for a really good headlight for the price if you don't mind modding them abit.

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

• Like 1

Yes KPG they are the same ones i have installed-they use halogen projectors that look good with say osram nightbreaker/cool blue intense bulbs-but as I stated before i ended up pulling them apart(couldn't help myself) and fitted mini h1 projectors with the yeaky 5500k bulbs(see picts) a few months back- makes for a really good headlight for the price if you don't mind modding them abit.

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

Interesting. So did you try the headlights with HIDs before pulling them apart ? What were they like? I wouldn't want to wreck £300 worth of headlight ripping them open lol

The HID bulbs are still pretty good with the halogen projectors -just had to file the opening abit to fit the bulbs as only went in upside down (return wire would cause shadow)and play abit with the bulb postioning getting the focal point correct otherwise the hotspot was off.(see the pict before hotspot adjusted i had just fitted them with 6000k bulbs )

But fairly clear cutoff, the only issue was the big 'whale tail' cut off up to the left the ECE standard has - a bit bright to pedestrians and cars turning from your left (but you will see every road sign clear!!)so you may have to lower the lights abit to not blind people!! --along as you don't have a pint in the other hand while ripping them apart it's hard to wreck them LOL.

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

• Like 1

The HID bulbs are still pretty good with the halogen projectors -just had to file the opening abit to fit the bulbs as only went in upside down (return wire would cause shadow)and play abit with the bulb postioning getting the focal point correct otherwise the hotspot was off.(see the pict before hotspot adjusted i had just fitted them with 6000k bulbs )

But fairly clear cutoff, the only issue was the big 'whale tail' cut off up to the left the ECE standard has - a bit bright to pedestrians and cars turning from your left (but you will see every road sign clear!!)so you may have to lower the lights abit to not blind people!! --along as you don't have a pint in the other hand while ripping them apart it's hard to wreck them LOL.

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

Lol ok I see what you mean now. Still I wouldnt want to rip apart the lights with or without a pint in hand lol

I was toying with buying a second hand headlight from eBay and have a go at splitting it and fitting projectors. Just to see how involved it is. Just cheap projectors though to start with.

Get some Depo lamps, I have finally (almost) completed my headlight conversion, cracking open the lamps was a nightmare, if they used permaseal then your better off not bothering.  I had HIDs in my halogen projectors, they had that massive kick up to the left, it bugged the hell out of me so decided to get some morimoto mini H1s and do the job properly

WP_20160507_11_59_23_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20160514_17_50_51_Rich_LI.jpgWP_20160513_20_15_20_Pro_LI.jpg

Get some Depo lamps, I have finally (almost) completed my headlight conversion, cracking open the lamps was a nightmare, if they used permaseal then your better off not bothering.  I had HIDs in my halogen projectors, they had that massive kick up to the left, it bugged the hell out of me so decided to get some morimoto mini H1s and do the job properly

WP_20160507_11_59_23_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20160514_17_50_51_Rich_LI.jpgWP_20160513_20_15_20_Pro_LI.jpg

Are the Depo ones easier to crack open ?

you can open them with a hair dryer!

its sticky stuff but once you get a bit of heat in to them they will give, I found that once you got a screw driver in, you could pull it apart, then at the same time point a heat gun at it and the glue just separates.  the great thing is you don't even need to add new sealant, the butyl stuff is amazing.

Permaseal on the other hand requires you to get the temp up to about 150c, which is unfortunately the same temp the plastic on the rear of the lamp melts at, as soon as you poke or pull it the plastic deforms.  If you don't get it hot enough than the permaseal doesn't separate, I cracked 2 headlamps trying to get them open, purchased a depo one and had in open within a few min

• Like 2

Yes i agree if sealed with permaseal too hard, my standard oem lights look like black permaseal as it is rock hard when cold, where as the aftermarket lights where grey and still malleable when cold and really tacky warmed up with the heat gun.see pic-Even used oem lights from a wrecker are still not cheap

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Time to check out depo prices then.

Where did yous buy you morimoto projectors from and how much?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

they know their stuff, you can take a gamble and get some knock offs dirt cheap but its a bit of a mine field.  I got a cheap set of ballasts and some cheapo bulbs, the bulbs were terrible, shoddy light pattern and nowhere near the 4300k they were supposed to be, so got some from TRS, much better quality but one of them flickers slightly, its the cheap ballast that's doing it so will need to replace them as well.

• Like 1