Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to remove bush scratches

Jason87

After my recent posts about paintwork I'm annoyed to have driven past a bush and got several long light scratches along the side of the car, will these be easy to remove? I'm annoyed a bush can scratch paintwork as I didn't thjnk it would be strong enough, would meguairs scratch X do the job?

Unfortunate that Jason if it's not one thing then it's another and you sure are having bad luck with your cars paintwork.

Yes meguires scratch x will do the job and then you'll have to use a polish after it coz scratch x is a roughish stuff and leaves millions of minute scratches which needs a polish to bring back to a sheen. Maybe even a wax application too.

4 minutes ago, tazzman600 said:

Unfortunate that Jason if it's not one thing then it's another and you sure are having bad luck with your cars paintwork.

Yes meguires scratch x will do the job and then you'll have to use a polish after it coz scratch x is a roughish stuff and leaves millions of minute scratches which needs a polish to bring back to a sheen. Maybe even a wax application too.

Is this a permanent fix though? Or does that just mean each time j wash and wax the car it will look clean?

Or will scratch X ruin the paintwork permanently unless I wax each time?

is the scratch deep enough to feel when you run your thumb nail across the paintwork ?

if so it may require a touch up with a paint chip kit as its gone through the clear coat

if not and is just surface grazing then Meguiars scratch X or the less abrasive ultimate compound will get the worst out with alot of hand polishing using a foam applicator

neither will harm your paintwork in any way

i use the ultimate compound for my cars annual polish , great product for removing swirls and UV oxidisation

• Like 1

No I can't feel the scratches, which is why I'm surprised a bush managed to scratch, so scratch X takes a tiny layer of laquer off but doesn't do any harm?

That's about right Jason. Scratch x is a more abrasive cream than ultimate compound.

As my scratches are almaot the cars length, guess I'll have to do circular motions all the way along and hope it doesn't look different to the rest of the paintwork lol

Blimey. Good luck but do the job patiently. Don't rush it.

I'm worried about taking too much layer off, the scratches are really light so I'm hoping I'll be able to notice the scratches going after a few rubs 

Do a few rubs and see. If more rubs are needed then do so. Experiment on a section till your happy with the result then do the rest of the scratched area.

Does wax hide scratches? As I've only had my car 2 weeks and it's been waxed and cleaned since last few days due to rain, now I've noticed a few scratches which I didn't before, so I'm guessing the rain has washed the wax off so the scratches are more obvious?

Me personally if a finger nail can't be stopped by the scratch, then it's only surface brushing!

I'd use 2000 grade Wet & dry paper on the scratches ONLY - Using warm water & plenty of washing up liquid so the paper glides over the surface, then followed by T-Cutting and final polish. I've done dozens of cars in the past and every one was a winner.

2000 grade paper can't be found in most car shops! Wet & dry paper can go up to 3000 grade, two manufacturers which produce this very high quality paper: Klingspor & Matador.

NEVER use 1200 grade paper as this WILL strip back the paint straight away.

20 minutes ago, Jason87 said:

Does wax hide scratches? As I've only had my car 2 weeks and it's been waxed and cleaned since last few days due to rain, now I've noticed a few scratches which I didn't before, so I'm guessing the rain has washed the wax off so the scratches are more obvious?

Standard waxes will normally bring out scratches due to the white polymers in the product. There are coloured waxes available which will hide scratches.

48 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Standard waxes will normally bring out scratches due to the white polymers in the product. There are coloured waxes available which will hide scratches.

Well the far was cleaned by ford and then I gave it a clean, only now it's been raining a bit and getting dirty I've noticed some more scratches which weren't there before, guess ford used something on it 

12 hours ago, Jason87 said:

At a guess that Ford dealership used a 'Quick Shine Detail wax' ? Its a clear spray on product, rub into the paint and then buff up to a lustre, fine scratches just disappear but its a quick fix, not long lasting though. 

Wax or quick detailer does hide scratches, polish even better...  Trust me haha! :wink: I drive loads of single track roads and bush scratches are unavoidable, I haven't found anything that I can use by hand to remove them though, even scratch x and ultimate compound haven't done anything, so have gone back to just hiding them until I can afford to have it mopped lol.

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Wax or quick detailer does hide scratches, polish even better...  Trust me haha! :wink: I drive loads of single track roads and bush scratches are unavoidable, I haven't found anything that I can use by hand to remove them though, even scratch x and ultimate compound haven't done anything, so have gone back to just hiding them until I can afford to have it mopped lol.

You're saying scratch X won't even remove light bush scratches?

It didn't for me.  Of course you're welcome to try it and prove me wrong though!