Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt thoughts

winemart2

So the ecoboost is supposed to have a new belt after 10 years or 150k.
At my current rate of mileage, after 10 years I'll have done ~30k (if I live that long) :biggrin::sad:
What does the panel think I should do then? Run it 'till it goes bang or get it changed for a king's ransom (by then)?

depends if you outlast the belt. lol

and it will cost a fortune to do!! so start saving over next 10 yrs.

8hrs at whatever the labour rate is ,plus belt kit, gaskets etc, ouch!!

• Like 2

Prolly about 5 grand by then :biggrin:

yep! and your expecting the rest of the car to last that long also?

• Like 1

Must admit I didn't realise they used belts on the 1.0, thought it would've been chains. 

I'm fairly sure the turbos will start failing long before the belts do though haha! :laugh: 

• Like 1

so its no longer a lifetime belt how many ££££ is that gonna cost to replace then? suppose @ every 10 years you will only replace it once max

i wont bother changing mine if i ever keep an ecoboost car for 150k 10 years, im on 46k so far, so another104k or 7 yrs to go,

timing kit to purchase from sealy is £480 so it wont be a diy solution.

perhaps in a few years i should buy the kit and make a killing doing them for all you d.i.y folk worried about them breaking.
havent heard anyone say yet to change them early like i hear on this forum quite often?
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm fairly sure the turbos will start failing long before the belts do though haha! :laugh: 

Cheers for that, Tom :wink:

ignore him, what does he know, lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, iantt said:

timing kit to purchase from sealy is £480 so it wont be a diy solution.

perhaps in a few years i should buy the kit and make a killing doing them for all you d.i.y folk worried about them breaking.
havent heard anyone say yet to change them early like i hear on this forum quite often?

Whats in that kit and why is it any more difficult than on other engines? 

2 minutes ago, winemart2 said:

Cheers for that, Tom :wink:

Lol, I just don't see how you can you can spin a turbo that fast and get 150k miles from it...  You're lucky having one new though, by the time I can afford an ecoboost they'll all be buggered! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Well, I have spare door mirrors for the 20yo campervan, maybe I should get a spare turbo then :laugh:

Hmmmm, wonder if i'll be a boy racer at 78. Give it a go, eh?

havent got a spare turbo, but got a spare engine to practice timing belt replacement. lol

• Like 1

With your mileage I'm sure it'll be fine unless you keep it until you're 120... :wink:

My 1.4 TDCi has a belt change at something like the 125k mark, but I wouldn't really trust a rubber belt being heat cycled for more than around half that, I got my cambelt and aux belt changed when I bought it at around 105k miles, aux belt had started to crack so I hate to think how it would look after another few years.

Also don't forget that the belt would probably also drive the water pump etc - are the water pump and tensionors rated to 150k miles?

Water pump not driven off cambelt, and im sure ford would match life expectancy of belt with tensioner, tensioner in the oil mist so should last

• Like 1

I was under the impression the 1.0 litre ecoboost had a non replaceable belt that never needed replacing for the life of the engine. It's a special material that runs in oil.

where has the 10 year 150k info come from?

"The average life expectancy of a car was 8 years or 150,000 miles up till few years back. Now due to improved design and technology, life expectancy of a car is considered at 200,000 miles done or 10 years."

manufacturers differ in what they call life expectancy, bit of a marketing term on the ecoboost engine.

or do they know something we dont. lol

and yes cars can last alot longer than 10 years, dont shoot the messenger

• Like 1

Cooling systemEvery 10 years - Drain, flush and refill with Super Plus

camshaft drive belt, tensioner and idlersEvery 150 000 miles/10 years - Renew Auxiliary drive beltsEvery 150 000 miles/10 years - Renew

Valve clearancesEvery 150 000 miles/10 years - Check.

and a service , i do wonder if it will be econimical to do all this on a 10yr old fiesta

• Like 2

I paid £400 for a main dealer to replace the full belt kit, aux belt, water pump and change the coolant on a 2009 1400 petrol fiesta mk7. Stories of it costing silly money seem a bit OTT to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, dave1987 said:

I paid £400 for a main dealer to replace the full belt kit, aux belt, water pump and change the coolant on a 2009 1400 petrol fiesta mk7. Stories of it costing silly money seem a bit OTT to me.

2.8 hours to do timing belt plus whatever for the water pump is a little different from the 8 hours for an ecoboost engine though

• Like 3

looking at ford website its 400£ for any engine cambelt change on fiesta but there is a horrible little * next to that price which states except 1.0 ecoboost. suppose with the engine so new there is nowhere changing ecoboost cam belts yet hence there is no price anywhere for the job.

How comes it takes 8 hours to do the ecoboost one?

theres alot of ancillaries to remove, if you have ever looked under the bonnet of one you will know why.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club