Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus TDCI 2.0 (UK model -- 2008) -- Wont start

GTDriver

Hi all -- I need your help.

My car (see the title) wont start. The only warning was the day before this problem happend, when I had to turn the car over twice... but it did start in the end.

I've had the car on jump leads and turned the thing over plenty... so proceeded to check for fuel delivery. I unplugged the fuel line before the fuel filter in the engine bay, turned the ignition... nothing flowed. I then turned the car over and still nothing flowed.

I'm thinking the in-tank fuel pump has failed... but before I fork out 100 notes... i thought i'd check with you guys to see if there might be something else worth exploring first.

Please ask any question you need clarification on and thank you in advance for your help.

GTD

crank sensor or wire on passenger foot well fuse box might be worth checking first.

Hi james1089 and thanks. So... the issues you mentioned would prevent fuel from being pumped...?

is there a pump in the tank? I know mines a different engine (still PSA) but apparently the sender unit in the tank doesn't use the pump, the high pressure pump sucks up the fuel before delivering it to the HP rail.  If the 2L is the same then you wont get anything coming out.  Note that the fuel sender unit for me car specifically states it has the pump, but it doesn't use it which is slightly confusing!

Have you changed the fuel filter?

I just had a fuel related problem only 4000 miles after I changed the filter, I figured it MUST be something else, I only changed the filter a few weeks back, changed filter again, no more bother, I guess my point is, don't rule anything out!

• Like 1

Yes crank sensor cuts fuel or should I say tells the ECU to cut the fuel. That would still be my first check. Not many code readers will pull the fault up but RAC equipment does, you a member.

no pump in tank.

• Like 1

Hi all - changed crank sensor + fuel filter. No change. Cranks but no fuel flows. Any ideas?

BTW - what am I looking for with regards to wiring in passenger foot well? It looks ok to me

Oh! Had it towed from work last night by the RAC. The checked for error codes and there were none. Found that very strange

did you manage to bleed the fuel filter ok?

No. There's no diesel in the lines to and from the filter. I've listened the lines to the injectors and nothing flows there either. I'm kinda stumped and am thinking it's the fuel pump... But want to be sure before forking out almost £600

how did you try to bleed filter?

18 minutes ago, iantt said:

how did you try to bleed filter?

Loosened the bleed screw on the filter. Turned it over -- Nothing flowed. Loosened the injector lines - turned it over -- nothing.

there is no pump on it mate, that is why it isn't working, you need to suck the fuel out of the tank with a priming tool, you will also need to fill up the fuel line leaving the fuel filter going down to the HP fuel pump.

The HP fuel pump IS the pump, but unless there is an uninterrupted flow of fuel from the tank though the filter and down to the pump it wont work

if you don't have a priming tool try this, take piece of clear tubing that tightly fits over the OUTLET of the fuel filter and suck, keep sucking until you get fuel coming down the tube with no air bubbles, in the past ive then used a small syringe to then fill up the fuel line to the fuel pump before quickly attaching it on to the fuel filter.   

Obviously don't go drinking or inhaling the fuel ;) the hand pump would be the best option!

• Like 1

i dont advise drinking the fuel either, ive done diesel and petrol, not a nice experience. lol

• Like 1

OK -- first of all, i'd like to thank you all for your input -- you're exceptionally helpful!

I went and bought a primer tool. Got all the air out of the system... and the car starts! (No diesel consumption required.)

My thoughts on the issue: I think it was originally a crank sensor problem, which I replaced. However, due to removing lines and replacing the fuel filter as well, there was a tonne of air in the fuel system. When I tried to start the car after changing the crank sensor and the fuel filter... I had the same symptoms... so suspected something more serious. One primer tool later and the thing starts.

Every day is a school day: Note to self, the fuel pump will not suck/pump air our of the lines. I'm still a little sceptical so will keep an eye on it. However, for now, thanks again all :).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys... so, it wont start again. Same issue! I turned it over and noticed some bubbles working their way from the fuel filter to the pump befor dissappearing back when the engine stop turning.

Note, I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel filter seal... so... i'm guessing the chances of me having the same issue pre fuel filter and sensor change are slim.

Any ideas? Is there a common issue with any of the hoses/lines perishing?

BTW -- i can see diesel in all of the clear lines... so i'm a bit stumped.

Any help appreciated.

*One more thing: I've driven several hundred miles since the 'fix', including a weekend trip to bournemouth and back 200 miles -- it didn't miss a beat.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have the same issue of an intermittent starting problem

i have had some results however on my 2l tdci

there is a flap in the inlet manifold that gets stuck you will see it if you take the inlet pipe off i just move mine every now and again its been  nearly 2 months since mine has done this

midland to cornwall and back and 50 round trip to work and back

a few ppl sand the edges off but i think it just gets clogged from dirty air and oil making it sticky

My 2.0 tdci 2007 has started to not start on the 1st go sometimes but starts straight away on the 2nd attempt. Think I'll get my fuel filter changed as a precaution.

• 4 years later...

Last ditch effort before this thing goes to the scrap... Did you manage sort this issue? I have tried all of the above and no joy. Any help appreciated. 2008 focus tdci