Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Car Washing Products

Tom1994

I've always been curious of the best washing products and thought I'd ask some advice on here.  From past experiences is it worth trying to use products all from the same brand (Autogylm etc) to complement each others effectiveness or should I just hunt for the best deals I can get on specific products like glass cleaner etc?  And also, who is your preferred brand for products, and why? Do you buy just so your shelf in your shed/garage looks nice (OCD) or for the quality of them?

Hi mate I've heard good things about "showroom shine" its a waterless product but I've heard its very good, I've ordered a bottle of the stuff.

In my experience, brands don't really matter. I just buy the best performing product for the best price! :smile:

Halfords turtle wax wash & shine (free using the O2 app last autumn)

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk

Also waterless wash products are never a good idea if you like your scratch free paintwork

There's a reason professionals like myself use a prewash & a minimum of 2 buckets ;)

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

There's a reason professionals like myself use a prewash & a minimum of 2 buckets ;)

How many buckets are normal for professionals then?

A separate bucket for each rinse of the wash mitt, perhaps??:laugh:

A separate bucket for each rinse of the wash mitt, perhaps??laugh.png

1Wash

2Rinse

3Wheels

:)

Sometimes 2 rinse buckets if it's particularly bad or soft paintwork

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

kieran, what do you recomend for cleaning seat upholstery?

• Like 1

I use Autobrite direct mainly, as it's local(well Stoke based I'm about a 30 min drive away) but I've got meguairs, Fusso 99 wax, umpteen microfibre Madness mitts, wooly lambs mitt things & umpteen microfibre towels.  Got a few Autosmart things & I've got the IronX stuff.  And a rook of pads & different polishes/abrasives AND different grades of clay & different brushes.  2 bucket wash method with grit guards( I clean the alloys first with Iron x & as that basically gets them spotless I just rinse over them at the end).  You might think it's OTT for washing a car BUT the results you can get(like anything) is way way wayyyyy worth the effort, if you put the effort in.  Wet sanding is next on my list, got horrific Orange Peel

5 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

A separate bucket for each rinse of the wash mitt, perhaps??laugh.png

1Wash

2Rinse

3Wheels

:)

Sometimes 2 rinse buckets if it's particularly bad or soft paintwork

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Now that makes a lot sense, a separate bucket for the wheels.:smile:

I use Autobrite direct mainly, as it's local(well Stoke based I'm about a 30 min drive away) but I've got meguairs, Fusso 99 wax, umpteen Microfibre Madness mitts, wooly lambs mitt things & umpteen microfibre towels.  Got a few Autosmart things & I've got the IronX stuff.  And a rook of pads & different polishes/abrasives AND different grades of clay & different brushes.  2 bucket wash method with grit guards( I clean the alloys first with Iron x & as that basically gets them spotless I just rinse over them at the end).  You might think it's OTT for washing a car BUT the results you can get(like anything) is way way wayyyyy worth the effort, if you put the effort in.  Wet sanding is next on my list, got horrific Orange Peel

You know iron X is a fallout remover, not wheel cleaner don't you?

It's not designed to be used during every wash nor is it a cost effective way of doing things. a regular wheel cleaner removes everything most of the time :)

It's not OTT, it's stuff/part of a routine professionals/ enthusiasts follow before any real work takes place

Ian, for Interior cleaning I use

a dilute mixture of Inspired automotive Wide Stance as All purpose cleaner for plastics/rubber

Inspired automotive Refresh for fabric

Inspired automotive Renovation for Leather.

For trim dressings I like to use MadCow Mango sauce or Inspired Automotive El natural. I sometimes use My REVERSAL wax on trim depending on what finish I'm after/how badly faded it is

kieran, what do you recomend for cleaning seat upholstery?

Answered above in more detail, but for upholstery I recommend Inspired Automotive Refresh :)

Also, just so you all know

Till Thursday evening I'm having a 10% sale on MadCow detailing products.

Use "MadCow10" at the checkout.

Please don't use the code on any other products otherwise there may be a delay in processing your order.

Members usually eligible for the FOC Supporters discount code will not be able to use the two codes side by side. If you want to use the above code for the MadCow order and the FOC code for other products message me and I'll sort it out for you!

Kieran

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

You know iron X is a fallout remover, not wheel cleaner don't you?

It's not designed to be used during every wash nor is it a cost effective way of doing things. a regular wheel cleaner removes everything most of the time :)

It's not OTT, it's stuff/part of a routine professionals/ enthusiasts follow before any real work takes place

Ian, for Interior cleaning I use

a dilute mixture of Inspired automotive Wide Stance as All purpose cleaner for plastics/rubber

Inspired automotive Refresh for fabric

Inspired automotive Renovation for Leather.

For trim dressings I like to use MadCow Mango sauce or Inspired Automotive El natural. I sometimes use My REVERSAL wax on trim depending on what finish I'm after/how badly faded it is

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

I put Iron X for the wrong thing, I use Autosmart -Smart Wheels? I think it's called that for cleaning the wheels, Iron x gets used after a wash for decontamination, along with just the tonic which is then followed by another wash.  I don't have a pressure washer so I have to make do with just a hosepipe so for a pre-rinse I apply a 1:10 ratio of Citrus wash(depending on how dirty the car is & if I feel like re applying wax & Lsp)

I've never used a pressure washer on my ST, or my Zetec S before.

Not missed it, I don't feel the need anymore.

You have to be careful with pressure washers as the "waterproof" seals and gaskets on cars are not designed to cope with the pressure from one of these.

I just use a hose at normal pressure since the issues I had on my 2012 Focus.

14 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

Till Thursday evening I'm having a 10% sale on MadCow Detailing products.

Erm Kieran, that code isn't working for me, when I tried this morning:sad:

When I type it in, your site responds "Sorry, the coupon code entered is not valid (1010)

Till Thursday evening I'm having a 10% sale on MadCow Detailing products.

Erm Kieran, that code isn't working for me, when I tried this morningsad.png

When I type it in, your site responds "Sorry, the coupon code entered is not valid (1010)

Strange.. I'll double check that for you when I get home soon!! Sorry about that! -_-

• Like 1

Use "CYCLEXREF10" instead.. Not a clue why that's not working -_-

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GingerFlame said:

Use "CYCLEXREF10" instead.. Not a clue why that's not working -_-

Thanks, that worked.:biggrin:

Order sent a moment ago

• Like 1

So this is new  to me.. the website is case sensitive"! the code is "Madcow10"

Your order has been packed and will leave later today! Thanks for your order

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club