Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Flashing coil light Please Help

MasterCarpenter

I hope someone can help me here, My focus 04 plate 1.8 Tdci has developed a problem the coil light flashes then the engine dies if you tun it off it will restart and drive fine for a little while then it happens again, I changed the fuel filter and it persisted so I then tried the crank sensor with no joy then was told to do the filter again with the genuine Bosh filter which i have done but still the same issue sometimes engine management light also comes up but not always mainly the flashing coil lights any ideas I really need the car for a 400 mile round trip this weekend, Thanks in advance :)

Glow plugs?Have you checked for trouble codes.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

When we bought the car in November the car was a mare to start in the mornings so I swapped the glow plugs from a recently deceased Tddi focus that i had blown a hole through the crankcase of due to a failed oil pump and they didn't make any difference but we have only done a couple of thousand miles since then and we had no issues with them on the last car

The codes that came up were P1000 and another that said low pressure in the fuel rail but the AA said that might have logged while it was breaking down rather the the reason it broke down so I'm not sure where to go next and I'm not working at the moment so every purchase has to be agonized over not sure what the P1000 is though

I think you need to check for injector leak off.

Not sure what that is how do I do that and what am i looking for ?

Thank you

I know you said money is tight but you are probably best to take your car to a garage.If you go to YouTube and type in leak off test for diesel common rail injections that will give you an idea of what's what.Hope this is of some help

is this a test for pump / injector issues

the mechanic I spoke to said if it was either of those it was probably a write off !

Thanks again

If one or more of the injectors are leaking then it's going to be expensive unless you go down the reconditioned route.I wouldn't go as far as a right off but unfortunately you might have to throw some money at it.I would get it tested to see if you can rule that one out and take it from there.

How many miles has it done,I've got the same car,mine as done just over 93000.

Ok thanks I will have a look down that route the annoying thing is when you restart the car it drives perfectly intermitent faults are so difficult to pin down

thank you for your help

Yeah,when you have no confidence in the car it is so maddening.

It's just on 117000

Do you use injector cleaner?I always put a healthy slug in the tank when I fill up.

No I never have done and we do use Tesco diesel do you think that could be worth a go ?

I had a focus 2004 same as yours and I had this,  when your going along fine then all of a sudden glow plug lite starts flashing then limp mode, turn it off restart and fine for a few miles then bosh happens again I had it investigated and it was the pump, it would have cost me approx. £1000 to get put rite and there were metal filings in fuel filter so I got rid  

Thats not good news lol I had a pump go a few years back but that just stopped and died 

Yep that sounds exactly what your situation is! As above.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club