Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Fiesta Clutch (2004)

Matt M

On a recent journey from work to home, I got to some traffic lights, and my clutch pedal went completely slack. I stopped the car, re-started in 1st gear, and reved it so I managed to get past the lights and stopped on the side of the road after the lights. I called out the AA, he said "Ah, the infamous Fiesta Fusion clutch - Say no more!" - he then went to his van, got a new clip, put my clutch pedal back on the master cylinder and put the clip on the peg.

He said that he carries a lot of these clips around now because this problem happens so much, yet I took it to my local ford dealership, who said the AA Patrol put the correct clip on it, and they could do nothing more. They also told me my bite point was high, and the clutch was on the way out.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this clutch 'peg sliding off the master cylinder' problem, and if so, have you tried taking it to Ford? I'm just worried that the clip is so small and thin, if it's happened once, it'll happen again.

Also, I have done 75,000 in my 2004 Diesel fiesta, is that an average time for a clutch to be replaced?

Many thanks for your answers :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

yeh, my vans got 138,000 on the clock and thats on it's 3rd clutch. they are not that hard to replace and don't cost must so it's not too bad.

The clutch rod sliding off the pedal is common and is not an indication of the clutch wearing. It is sometimes an indication of the clutch master cylinder wearing though. I drill a 2mm hole through the retaing post and put a pin through it, that's the only thing that works properly.

On a recent journey from work to home, I got to some traffic lights, and my clutch pedal went completely slack. I stopped the car, re-started in 1st gear, and reved it so I managed to get past the lights and stopped on the side of the road after the lights. I called out the AA, he said "Ah, the infamous Fiesta Fusion clutch - Say no more!" - he then went to his van, got a new clip, put my clutch pedal back on the master cylinder and put the clip on the peg.

He said that he carries a lot of these clips around now because this problem happens so much, yet I took it to my local ford dealership, who said the AA Patrol put the correct clip on it, and they could do nothing more. They also told me my bite point was high, and the clutch was on the way out.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this clutch 'peg sliding off the master cylinder' problem, and if so, have you tried taking it to Ford? I'm just worried that the clip is so small and thin, if it's happened once, it'll happen again.

Also, I have done 75,000 in my 2004 Diesel fiesta, is that an average time for a clutch to be replaced?

Many thanks for your answers :lol:

60k is what it usaly last for according to the manufatorers.

had both a Mondeo and a Focus clutch go on our cars [both petrol]. I think the Mondeo went ball park 70K. And I know the mk1 Focus started slipping at 79K, last December so I had it replaced. Ford dealer quoted £500 A local mechanic in his own time in the garage where he worked did it for £300.

Unfortunately ten days later a prat in a Min Cooper who insisted in driving on the wife's side of the road, wrote both cars off in a head on collision............I'd just had new front disks and pads done at the same time for £100.....bu@@er

But to put it into perspective, in the last 18 months, four young people have died at that very same spot. Failing to take a corner, hit the opposite curb which flips the cars over and projects them through the railings into a canal upside down. First accident two young girls drowned, third accident one young girl drowned, young lad died in hospital weeks later. In fact because my wife and her 82 year old mother were in the wrong place at the wrong time for accident number three. They no doubt save two more young lives.

Will anything be done about that killer corner....what do you think? .....possibly another chevron added to the sign on the bend maybe.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club