Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'06 Focus 1.8TDCi runs worse after MoT!

paul_sheffield

Had my 2006 Focus 1.8TDCi (Mk II diesel) 104,000 miles, MoT'd last week. It passed. Only comment was the EGR wasn't working (this is because it's blanked off at 90,000) but it passed the emissions test. It was serviced 2 months ago.

Before the MoT it pulled strongly up hills etc. had a nice turbo surge and no hesitation at all.

However, since then it's been stuttering and hesitant below 2000rpm and the power is well down; it loses speed on hills unless I really rev it. It's gone from being a great drive to being a dog.

I phoned the garage who said they didn't do anything to it other than  test it. He said they're not even allowed to tweak anything to get it through the emissions test etc.

I don't think it's limp mode, as it can rev past 3000rpm, but it feels like its being starved of fuel or air or something.

Has anyone else has this happen to them, and is there anything that jumps out as an obvious fix? 

Or is it just a bad coincidence that it's a dog immediately after the MoT?

A few years ago our car ran terrible straight after the MOT, just wouldn't 'go'... I phoned the MOT station and they said they've not touched anything!

Looked around the fuel system and could see a screw slot on the fuel rail which had a bright bit of metal which looked like a screw-driver had slipped and could clearly see it had been turned, so got a screw-driver and re-aligned the slot to its older marking and then the car ran beautifully again, I never went back to that MOT station again.

10 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

A few years ago our car ran terrible straight after the MOT, just wouldn't 'go'... I phoned the MOT station and they said they've not touched anything!

Looked around the fuel system and could see a screw slot on the fuel rail which had a bright bit of metal which looked like a screw-driver had slipped and could clearly see it had been turned, so got a screw-driver and re-aligned the slot to its older marking and then the car ran beautifully again, I never went back to that MOT station again.

Mmmm - I wonder if that was a genuine mistake, or a rogue garage expecting you to book it in for 'repairs'?

I am going to check all the hoses and jubillee clips etc just in case one was accidentally loosened and not re-tightened. I'll check those screws on the fuel rail too!

29 minutes ago, iantt said:

mot is a visual check only, no dismantling is involved at all.

I know Ian, but something happened between dropping it off and collecting it, so I may as well do the easy checks!  Maybe running it up onto the ramp loosened something? .