Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sticking things onto paint

Hi all,

was wondering if sticking things onto the car would damage the paint work in the long run? (when i eventually take it off) Its basically like 2 side vents that have an adhesive backing, wanted to see what it would look like but don't want to do it if people think it will damage the paintwork. 

If it's 3M tape or similar it will be extremely hard to remove, the glue on this tape cures after exposure to the air, so removing straight away can be done by gentle pulling but after a few days it will not come off at all, but can be persuaded by the use of a hair dryer & plastic credit card to remove.

UV sunlight rays eventually bleaches most car paintwork but it's hardly recognisable because the car is fading as a whole but any covered over parts won't fade so when badges or trim are removed on older cars you can see where they was!

I'd suggest buying some Blu-Tak and affix the vents on your car temporally and stand back and see what you think personally, take a few photo's and post them, just to see what other's think? If you think they look crap/cheesy then just remove them.

6 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

If it's 3M tape or similar it will be extremely hard to remove, the glue on this tape cures after exposure to the air, so removing straight away can be done by gentle pulling but after a few days it will not come off at all, but can be persuaded by the use of a hair dryer & plastic credit card to remove.

UV sunlight rays eventually bleaches most car paintwork but it's hardly recognisable because the car is fading as a whole but any covered over parts won't fade so when badges or trim are removed on older cars you can see where they was!

I'd suggest buying some Blu-Tak and affix the vents on your car temporally and stand back and see what you think personally, take a few photo's and post them, just to see what other's think? If you think they look crap/cheesy then just remove them.

Hi mate,

Yeah i thought about the overall fading of the car but I have diamond Brite on it so it should stay pretty red and also after 3 years im getting rid of it so I'm not too worried. But it shouldn't take the paint off or anything like that? And yeah good idea, going to do that, might look naff but in my head it seems an interesting idea. Worth a shot I suppose.

Can't really comment that it could pull off paint! It could if you just used brute force to remove stuck on items :w00t: 

Always best to be gentle using an hair dryer and a plastic card to get under the tape.

• 2 weeks later...

The first set up looks best IMO -  if ever you want to remove anything  stuck on with adhesive tape get a hairdryer  on it first then cut through the adhesive with nylon fishing line or dental floss works as well then with the article removed you can easily deal with any adhesive that is left, I find petrol removes it but check with a test area first - just in case.

Del.

5 hours ago, 4wdKuga said:

The first set up looks best IMO -  if ever you want to remove anything  stuck on with adhesive tape get a hairdryer  on it first then cut through the adhesive with nylon fishing line or dental floss works as well then with the article removed you can easily deal with any adhesive that is left, I find petrol removes it but check with a test area first - just in case.

Del.

Would boiling water also work for when i want to remove? I dont have an extension long enough to reach my car in the car park lol. 

On 22/05/2016 at 9:03 PM, fraserrg said:

Would boiling water also work for when i want to remove? I dont have an extension long enough to reach my car in the car park lol. 

Boiling water would soften it as well, IPA will also help as you can buy this in aerosol cans, it will probably strip any wax or sealant you have on though.

Where did you get these vents from?

13 hours ago, Maxxxykins said:

Boiling water would soften it as well, IPA will also help as you can buy this in aerosol cans, it will probably strip any wax or sealant you have on though.

Where did you get these vents from?

Hi mate. 

Just eBay pal. I put them on but one was ever so slightly squint, by a couple of CM but I am a perfectionist so i had to take them off, couldn't deal with one being squint. 

I used hot water at first then I used something called De-Solv from Halfords. Worked a treat. 

On 25/05/2016 at 8:12 AM, fraserrg said:

Hi mate. 

Just ebay pal. I put them on but one was ever so slightly squint, by a couple of CM but I am a perfectionist so i had to take them off, couldn't deal with one being squint. 

I used hot water at first then I used something called De-Solv from halfords. Worked a treat. 

Cheers, Are you gonna try and put them back on?

1 minute ago, Maxxxykins said:

Cheers, Are you gonna try and put them back on?

Would need to buy another set as the 3M tape was all messed up. Not sure if I want them on. They looked good but The "vents" didnt actually have any slits or gaps it was just one big piece which kid of looked odd. 

Might order them again now I know i can get them off easily.

4 minutes ago, fraserrg said:

Would need to buy another set as the 3M tape was all messed up. Not sure if I want them on. They looked good but The "vents" didnt actually have any slits or gaps it was just one big piece which kid of looked odd. 

Might order them again now I know i can get them off easily.

Might be cheaper to just get some tape!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-x-20MM-AUTO-ACRYLIC-FOAM-DOUBLE-SIDED-ATTACHMENT-ADHESIVE-TAPE-UK-SELLER-/181700778986?hash=item2a4e35dbea:g:hJMAAOSwSWJXRE6c

please dont spoil your otherwise fantastic looking car with naff stick on fake vents, it will make baby jesus cry...........

;-)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, biff55 said:

please dont spoil your otherwise fantastic looking car with naff stick on fake vents, it will make baby jesus cry...........

;-)

I know, i thought they would look ok, they are off now.