Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot light

Jonanstee

Hey guys

I've been looking at installing lights into my boot just to find out I already have one lense in the bootimage.jpegimage.jpeg. Is this normal to have one in there? How easy would it be to wire in another the other side? And finally what bulb would fit to give a bright blue glow like this?image.jpeg

48 smd led panel is easiest. On my mk2.5 I used one of these and looks good, but that was just one sided but you could easily run a wire from the existing wiring over to the other side

• Like 1

that's a nice looking boot tray thing, did that come with it? my fabric one has seen better days so might consider something like that!

Ive got two Red SMDs in my boot...front and rear footwells....glovebox and now in my headlights :D

Would a smd fit into the lense I already have or would I have to rewire it?

na, those little ones that plug in are crap, I had some and they failed very quickly.

In short, ditch the bulb holder and stick the 48 SMDs on, they come with double sided tape and a bunch of different connectors to connect them up without having to rewire anything.

Of course of you want a second one on the other side then you will need to run some cables over, but that's pretty straight forward

• Like 1

Would they fit in the normal holes or would I need to cut them to make them bigger?

Here is an old photo, I replaced the two front footwell bulbs with 48 red SMDs :)

WP_20160110_17_41_00_Pro_LI.jpg

• Like 1

I just stuck them on top of the hole allowing the cable to hide inside., they are slightly larger than the hole

• Like 1

So would it be a case of cutting the current bulb holder off and attaching the two wires to the smd?

Only about 20-25 quid. I will be selling that soon when I finally move my mk 2.5 on.

Would these do? Then just cut the plug off and attach the wires to the wires from the car?

image.png

• Like 1

yup,they are the ones, no need to cut anything, the  bulb holder comes off, just plug in the wee adaptor cable, then plug that in to the SMDs,

• Like 1

What do I plug into what sorry? Haha

Would wiring 3 sets of these to the same wires I have work? (I have no clue when it comes to wiring)

Yes, in theory it is just like a daisy chain

Hopefully my final question. Would I need to disconnect the battery when doing this as I'm going to be wiring in 6 panels?

noooo, all your doing is pulling out the bulb on the one you have, then your removing the bulb holder (just turn it and it comes off If I recall correctly) you then plug in the little adaptor cable you get with the SMDs and finally plug in the LEDs them selves.  No need to disconnect the battery

I then ran a set of wires over to the other side of the boot and installed a second light, then spliced in to the existing wires, no need to disconnect the battery.

• Like 1

so no matter what I do there will be no need to disconnect the battery? I plan on having 3 panels either side of the boot

Fit the lights and then plug in last.

Unlikely to have any problems leaving the battery connected.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

3 sets of SMDs each side? that's gonna be bright, if I were you id look at just one either side first, if you think you need more then add one at a time, I really think 3 will be over kill

• Like 1

3 sets of SMDs each side? that's gonna be bright, if I were you id look at just one either side first, if you think you need more then add one at a time, I really think 3 will be over kill

3 will be too much. I went with one SMD 501 at one side & then DRLs Under the parcelshelf for a nice even, not blinding light

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

I've already ordered 6 😂😂 I'm going to wire in 1 each side and see what I think then go from there. If I had any left over could they be used in the footwell?

• Like 1

yup, sure can, that's what I did