Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number plate bolts

MRF

Hi guys,

i want to replace the silly metal 'bolts' that the stealer has used to fix on my number plates.

trouble is the standard coloured fixings you can buy on eBay are too small.

can anyone tell me the diameter of these bolts ( look like M5 or M6) but not measured them, and maybe direct me to the best place to buy them?

cheers, M

ps my car is 2015 mk3.5 zetec s

Try a pack of the plastic nut/bolt type but without the nuts on.

That's what mine are fitted with (from dealers).

As they're plastic they adapt to small variations in hole dimensions if need be.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Cheers, Stoney

i will try them

ta

• Like 1

I use sticky pads on pressed plates, gives a much cleaner look!

They've been on for 18 months without falling off as well lol.

Torquesteer do a good pair of plate sized sticky pads but not cheap-

http://www.teamtorquesteer.co.uk/miscellaneous/number-plate-fixing-tape.html

Another option is plate holders if you like the clean look with no bolts/screws showing.

Also handy for swapping out your plates for show ones if you go to Ford Fair etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I just use the 'extra thick' grey ones from eBay on the front curve, 3 pads is enough per plate, cost about £2 posted iirc.  Used the free ones that came with the plates on the back and they haven't fallen off either on a flat surface. :smile: 

Cheers guys for the advise.

I have had the 'chrome' number plate holders before, look great to start with but they can soon look 'tatty' especially the plastic ones !

Think I will give the coloured 'bolts' a try for now,

Thanks,

• Like 1

The plastic bolts look far better than the metal screws.

Nothing worse than a rusty screw showing through.

Even worse is when I see new cars with the plates put on wonky by the dealers.

Sloppy work makes my blood boil.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 3

The plastic bolts look far better than the metal screws.

Nothing worse than a rusty screw showing through.

Even worse is when I see new cars with the plates put on wonky by the dealers.

Sloppy work makes my blood boil.

Sent from my SM-G930F

My front plate is on wonky.. the next set will be stuck on 👍. Stuck on properly I've never had any issues

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

Apparently Ford changed the size of the rear number plate mounting holes at some point in 2015 on the Mk3.5 Focus.

I know because mine has nice coloured plastic headed/covered screws at the front, but big metal ones at the back. When I asked my dealer they said Ford changed them and none of there nice looking screws fit anymore.

I've not got round to finding some colour matching ones that actually fit yet.

• Like 1

Strange as my front and rear plates are fitted with the coloured bolts.

Methinks someone got lazy and walloped in normal screws on yours.

Worst bit is that they tear the guts out of the alloy rivnuts in the panel making removing the screws a pain.

Sent from my SM-G930F

On my 64 plate Zetec S (Mk3.5) they fitted coloured screws front and rear, but on my 65 plate ST it is only on the front.

So I can believe what they are saying, otherwise they'd have just used the same on the back, as they are big screws holding the rear ones on.

The old bolts were 5mm, later cars use 6mm bolts. Plastic bolts on rear as shown and poly top screws on front

IMG_20160518_171722596.jpg

IMG_20160518_172030465.jpg

• Like 3

Ahhhh, my 65 plate Zetec S look to have the large 6mm bolts on the rear, hence my annoyance that the standard type replacements with the plastic tops don't fit!

not sure about the size on the front - match abandoned when I couldn't replace the rears.

i have sent for both types (as per iantt's pics) to cover all bases :smile:

cheers guys, M

• Like 1

fronts just screw in to the plasic bumper, so no bolts or threaded plastic bolts required

• Like 1

I've ordered some of these thanks to Ian's post:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EPF9NUY/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1463596068&sr=8-5&pi=SL75&keywords=6mm+number+plate+bolt

I did unscrew mine and check, they are definitely 6mm which fits with what my dealer told me about them being bigger now.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Anyone have any idea for screws for this rear number plate on an 07 focus. Trying put a number plate cover on but the whole is hexagon with nothing behind it to hold any screw in place. Number plate used to be stuck on with sticky pads which are coming off

20200424_174656.jpg

Somebody obviously ripped the original mounting nuts off the back of the panel.
You could try rivnuts.-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372530564186

I had this problem on a mk2 Focus whereby the plate screws were too big for the nuts and also corroded on thereby requiring breaking them off to replace a snapped plate.

I did temporarily use plastic plate nuts & bolts but due to the reinforcing bracers behind the panel I found hand access to seat the nuts was tricky to say the least.

I utilised a length of 2×1 wood with a nut shaped/sized hole in the end to hold the nut in place enough to start the bolt and act like an extended makeshift spanner.

Tbh, your simplest option is sticky pads, you can get full plate sized ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122894325904

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Phone died before could see your post, but did what you said was tricky to do lol. Managed do it with my fingers and celotape on one side holding the nit and then a spanner on the other side so its all screwed on now. 

The hexagon whole really threw me off, used motorbike fairing bolt and nut lol. God it was confusing but all done now. Thank you Stoney871 😄

gotta say I love Fords and I love this site😊

• Like 1

Glad you're sorted.

• 3 months later...

About to buy a white focus st3 on a 2016 plate but my new private Reg which is smaller than the standard plates on it at the mo will now show these metal bolt holes on either side were the standard reg would normally be bolted/covered (not to sure if m5 or m6 size?) I've seen post re plastic bolts but will they cover these holes? as the screw thread also comes out and the top part flattens out which I can only describe it as a flower shape like pictured hope yous guys out there get what I meaning lol maybe there's a bolt that has a sort of whether they come with a round or square cap that would cover them up 

Thanks in advance troops😅

Updated like this hollow wall anchor the top flat part that will show that I'm looking to be covered over 

HLB11jrhanjxK1Rjy0Fnq6yBaFXaf.jpg_q50.jpg

Having a plate that is physically shorter than standard will look pretty ugly exposing the original mounting holes. Why not simply get the plate made slightly bigger so that it does cover these holes? The 'number' can remain small, but the plate can be made to conceal the mounting holes. I too have a short number for over 30 years on quite a few cars now. This can easily be done. The neatest installation I had was on a Japanese import sports car where the mounting space for a plate is naturally smaller than UK standard...

Yeh I get you bud I've been thinking this in the past cpl days as don't see any other way I just paid 50 quid for new 4D ones as well🙄 so do I spend more hard earned cash and go for the standard ones with my 6 lettered private Reg hmm as I don't collect until Fri 31st July so ill see if anyone comes up with any ideas or it's what you suggested 

Cheers Stevie 👍 

Just use body coloured screw caps.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club