Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speeding

That'll be a court job, it is too fast for fixed penalty.

Could well have license taken, no excuse for being 50% over the limit. May have to retake test.

Clive will probably have a better idea of the consequences, but you can only have 6 points in your first year iirc.

• Like 2

New drivers is max of 6 points in first 2 yrs I think. Yes I think it'll be court job too,wlthough some speeders doing 50% over the limit has had just a fine and 3 points

• Like 1

You're offered speed awareness for 2mph over +10% so that's a no go.

No need for those kinds of speeds anyway, idiot

I had a good read online the other day after being worried about getting caught on a motorway :(

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 3

That'll be a court job, it is too fast for fixed penalty.

Could well have license taken, no excuse for being 50% over the limit. May have to retake test.

Clive will probably have a better idea of the consequences, but you can only have 6 points in your first year iirc.

I thought it was 6 points in the first 2 years?

Although, beat this.

My cousin had 5 points on his provisional moped license for riding round a skate park on his supermoto, then out into the the car park with a passenger & no helmets. he hit a girl and damaged her knee!

The court let him keep his license to get to work and back.

He passed his car test the other week. 2 days later he was pulled and turns out he had no tax or insurance! Bye bye license!

Safe to say I don't associate myself with that side of the family! Morons to say the least

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 3

also speed awareness is only offered to you if it's their FIRST speeding offence.

Yeah it is 2 years, just looked, I couldn't remember the exact time frame off the top of my head, it's been nearly 10 years since I passed (where did that time go? lol).

The courts do take your circumstances in to account as if the revocation of your license will affect your work, then it can be deemed the punishment is too severe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Yeah it is 2 years, just looked, I couldn't remember the exact time frame off the top of my head, it's been nearly 10 years since I passed (where did that time go? lol).

The courts do take your circumstances in to account as if the revocation of your license will affect your work, then it can be deemed the punishment is too severe.

I passed my test 10 yr ago too.  28 Feb 

It'll be court, but as long as he admits it and seems sorry for doing it he'll most likely get 5 points (sort of final warning!) and a large fine, I'd be very surprised if they take his licence having had mates in similar circumstances.

The lesson to learn here though is don't get caught! :wink:  

• Like 2

60 in a 40 is well outwith the "sorry, I didn't realise!" excuse, and verging onto the extremely dangerous/reckless driving scale.  As said above he'll probably get court and if apologetic, keep his licence with points and a fine.

I personally think though that offenses where you are caught over 10MPH above speed limits should result in a suspension from driving for a short period.  Even 2-4 weeks would be enough to stop people doing it again, and far more effective than points and a fine.

• Like 3

also speed awareness is only offered to you if it's their FIRST speeding offence.

First speeding offense within a 3 year period

I got 3 points and a £320 fine for my first offence.  70 in a NSL (cut off point of 68mph) Didn't even get offered a speed awareness course.  Why?  Because it was to late apparently, I didn't get the first letter until March 16th(great birthday present) I got caught speeding 24th December

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

I got 3 points and a £320 fine for my first offence.  70 in a NSL (cut off point of 68mph) Didn't even get offered a speed awareness course.  Why?  Because it was to late apparently, I didn't get the first letter until March 16th(great birthday present) I got caught speeding 24th December

I thought they only had 2 weeks to tell you?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I thought they only had 2 weeks to tell you?

I don't know but when I rang and asked about a driver awareness course was when they said it was to late.  I said I didn't get a letter until that day & the woman said there must of been a problem somewhere then.

16 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

60 in a 40 is well outwith the "sorry, I didn't realise!" excuse, and verging onto the extremely dangerous/reckless driving scale.  As said above he'll probably get court and if apologetic, keep his licence with points and a fine.

I personally think though that offenses where you are caught over 10MPH above speed limits should result in a suspension from driving for a short period.  Even 2-4 weeks would be enough to stop people doing it again, and far more effective than points and a fine.

I don't agree there - not something you'll know until you're 'properly' driving.  But 10mph over often isn't dangerous, or even noticeable in modern cars.  One of the 40s here was only restricted from 60 due to motorbikes crashing on wet corners...but those bikes were already speeding in the first place!!  Doesn't mean I cant safely take that same corner at 60 in the car...  And when you're in the habit of doing it at 60 every day and they suddenly drop the limit...it's hard to break the habit.

Same with a recent 60 limit with average cameras they've introduced on a previous 70 locally, it's more dangerous now tbh, everyones glued to their speedo, people are chopping and changing lanes extremely close all the time due to being 1mph different and theres always someone in your blindspot, you're stuck beside lorries being buffeted about by the wind because you cant drive any faster than them...  I hate that particular stretch now!!  Funny thing is, it hasn't even reduced the crashes, one of my mates crashed there the day after they formally introduced the new limit! :laugh: 

Of course I'm not saying speed everywhere, but I also don't think people should get suspended for a few mph over!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fraserrg said:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will pass it on. He thought he would get 3 points and a £60 fine.

50 in a 40 then maybe but not 60.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Preecematt said:

I am 110% sure you have got to get a letter within 14 days if the effence,if you receive it outside this time then you can appeal

If a car is seen speeding, the registered keeper will receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) detailing the offence, and a document called a Section 172 notice.

You must respond within 28 days, using the Section 172 notice to nominate the person who was driving at the time of the alleged speeding offence. Not doing so is a separate, specific offence which could lead to a fine and penalty points being added to your driving licence.

If you were stopped by the police for speeding, the officer can give you a verbal warning of prosecution instead. An NIP is not required if the offence happened as part of a road traffic accident.

The police must serve an NIP within 14 days of the alleged speeding offence, but there are some circumstances in which the notice will still stand even if it's served later than this, for example:

if extra time is needed for the police to act with 'reasonable diligence' to find out who the registered keeper is and how to contact them; or if the delay was the driver’s fault, for example because they have not told the DVLA of a recent change of address.

With most minor speeding offences, when you return the NIP, you'll receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN).

You can choose either to pay this and accept the penalty points or, if you don't think the speeding ticket is correct, contest the speeding charge in court.

When deciding whether to contest a speeding charge, you should bear in mind that, in court, the prosecution’s role is simply to prove that a driver was speeding.

Defences such as you did not intend to speed, didn't know you were speeding or you only exceeded the speed limit for a short time will not be taken into consideration.

If you already have more than eight points on your licence, or if you were travelling way above the speed limit, the police may choose to prosecute you in court. In this case, you will be sent a court summons.

The police have up to six months from the date of the offence to start speeding court proceedings.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 4

Bear also in mind that the police have 14 days to send a NIP, that doesn't mean you must get it within 14 days, delays in post (outside our control) are not a valid excuse to contest a ticket.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fraserrg said:

Friend flashed going around 60 in a 40, what do you reckon will happen to him? Only had his licence 2 months. 

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't agree there - not something you'll know until you're 'properly' driving.  But 10mph over often isn't dangerous, or even noticeable in modern cars.  One of the 40s here was only restricted from 60 due to motorbikes crashing on wet corners...but those bikes were already speeding in the first place!!  Doesn't mean I cant safely take that same corner at 60 in the car...  And when you're in the habit of doing it at 60 every day and they suddenly drop the limit...it's hard to break the habit.

Same with a recent 60 limit with average cameras they've introduced on a previous 70 locally, it's more dangerous now tbh, everyones glued to their speedo, people are chopping and changing lanes extremely close all the time due to being 1mph different and theres always someone in your blindspot, you're stuck beside lorries being buffeted about by the wind because you cant drive any faster than them...  I hate that particular stretch now!!  Funny thing is, it hasn't even reduced the crashes, one of my mates crashed there the day after they formally introduced the new limit! :laugh: 

Of course I'm not saying speed everywhere, but I also don't think people should get suspended for a few mph over!

I know that Tom, what I said was offenses where the perpetrator was going in excess of 10MPH over the limit.  In the scenario above, anything from 40-49 would be overlooked (with a warning), but 50 and above would result in a penalty. 

Saying it is hard to break the habit is no excuse I'm afraid, like saying "I used to have a couple of pints before driving, and since they have changed the drink drive limit it's hard to break the habit".  Nobody would accept that, and speeding is the same. 

Sorry Tom, sounds like I'm having a go at you (which I'm not), but just saying how I see the situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

"10mph over often isn't dangerous, or even noticeable in modern cars."

It is noticeable - that's what your speedo is for and it can be dangerous when other drivers are expecting you to be driving within the speed limit.  Once you train yourself to drive within or at the speed limit you develop a sense for it and you don't have to keep looking at the speedometer. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

It is noticeable - that's what your speedo is for and it can be dangerous when other drivers are expecting you to be driving within the speed limit.  Once you train yourself to drive within or at the speed limit you develop a sense for it and you don't have to keep looking at the speedometer. 

I have to agree.  I can't comment on modern cars as mine is 20 years old, but I can tell what speed I'm doing at any time without looking at the speedometer, purely from having driven the car for 1,000 miles and knowing how it feels at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 etc...

It is time this myth of "14 days to receive a NIP" and the police can't prosecute you was properly put to bed. As Clive says they have 14 days to issue you a NIP a totally different thing, it actually does no matter when you get or even if you don't actually get it, as long as they have issued it within 14 days then you can still be fined/points/awareness or court.