Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency stops on fresh tarmac in rain....

So coming home from the gym, absolutely bucketing it down, toodling along at 30 and then boom boy infront slams breaks on emergency stop, so i do the same but tires cant grip and crack right into the back of him.

Lucky i was going pretty slow at this point so his car is fine! PHEW. Mine on the other hand.....

Managed to get the grill back in place so both grills are in solid. Scratches all around top grill just under badge, but hey ho not the end of the world.

As im a new driver I think the best thing to do is to replace the grills myself? Can someone link me them please.

image1.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image2.JPG

Nasty. Sorry to see stuff like that happen to a new driver. Something similar happened to me a few weeks back, sucks big time. Replacing the grill should hide most of the 'evidence' lol

4 minutes ago, kpg said:

Nasty. Sorry to see stuff like that happen to a new driver. Something similar happened to me a few weeks back, sucks big time. Replacing the grill should hide most of the 'evidence' lol

Yeah its a pain but oh well, accidents happen. Yeah ill do the grills and fix the scratches another time. 

Providing you braked in time, it just shows how even a new car with ABS and (I assume) good tyres can fail to stop in time to prevent an accident.  I hate to think how mine would have behaved in that situation (no ABS, barely noticeable servo assistance and worn winter tyres), but would guess that I'd at least need a whole new bumper!!  Hence why I keep a larger than normal distance between me and cars in front when conditions are anything other than bright and dry...

Whereabouts in Scotland are you?  Here in Moray we only had light rain today, but I think it was worse down south.

8 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Providing you braked in time, it just shows how even a new car with ABS and (I assume) good tyres can fail to stop in time to prevent an accident.  I hate to think how mine would have behaved in that situation (no ABS, barely noticeable servo assistance and worn winter tyres), but would guess that I'd at least need a whole new bumper!!  Hence why I keep a larger than normal distance between me and cars in front when conditions are anything other than bright and dry...

Whereabouts in Scotland are you?  Here in Moray we only had light rain today, but I think it was worse down south.

Personally I'd say i braked in time, I was going 30 and probably hit him at about 5-7mph due to the skid, Continental tires, cars only 2 months old so good condition. Shame but hey ho accidents happen! And Edinburgh pal, was pi$$ing it down at 8 ish. 

Just now, fraserrg said:

Personally I'd say i braked in time, I was going 30 and probably hit him at about 5-7mph due to the skid, Continental tires, cars only 2 months old so good condition. Shame but hey ho accidents happen! And Edinburgh pal, was pi$$ing it down at 8 ish. 

Indeed they do, and thankfully it is easily fixed.  Ah yes, good old Edinburgh weather!!  My uncle lives there (and I've been through it a few times) so know how it can be.  I personally think that those new "slick" tarmac roads are to blame as even walking you can slide on that in the rain, compared to older "rougher" roads which provide better grip. 

1 minute ago, jmurray01 said:

Indeed they do, and thankfully it is easily fixed.  Ah yes, good old Edinburgh weather!!  My uncle lives there (and I've been through it a few times) so know how it can be.  I personally think that those new "slick" tarmac roads are to blame as even walking you can slide on that in the rain, compared to older "rougher" roads which provide better grip. 

100% agree, its that black tarmac, its horrible, did not help. 

I literally just had paintwork fixed on the front from some stone chip or something no idea, and boom there's more scratches again! I'm waiting this time, they arent even that noticeable !

12 minutes ago, fraserrg said:

100% agree, its that black tarmac, its horrible, did not help. 

I literally just had paintwork fixed on the front from some stone chip or something no idea, and boom there's more scratches again! I'm waiting this time, they arent even that noticeable !

With the registration plate back on it will look fine, far better than a Corsa of similar age, which would have already been on its roof at least once...

We had severe rain on Tuesday and although the front tyres are a bit knackered (although still legal I hasten to add), they were coping OK on most roads, until I hit a patch of the "new" tarmac and the front end lost traction going round a roundabout at 10MPH!  Terrible stuff.

You seem to be pretty unlucky Fraser! :sad:

I've gotta say though, there shouldn't be a skid, that's the whole point of ABS.  I think you were probably just too close for the conditions, hang back a bit more in future. :smile: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You seem to be pretty unlucky Fraser! :sad:

I've gotta say though, there shouldn't be a skid, that's the whole point of ABS.  I think you were probably just too close for the conditions, hang back a bit more in future. :smile: 

lol I know mate, first car and its been the bane of my life so far. 

Was a good distance I'd say. Definitely didn't help the ground was absolutely swimming. 

Definitely an excuse the spray the new grill gloss black :cool:

11 minutes ago, Tom-B64 said:

Definitely an excuse the spray the new grill gloss black :cool:

What would I need to do this? How much effort does it take?

You didnt happen to be travelling down the a9 earlier Fraser? 

Clocked a car same colour as yours with number plate on dashboard around 1:30

4 minutes ago, stef123 said:

You didnt happen to be travelling down the a9 earlier Fraser? 

Clocked a car same colour as yours with number plate on dashboard around 1:30

Hi mate, not me pal. Its currently in the car park at work, I have the grills back in place and the number plate back on. If you see one going around Edinburgh with 2 cracked grills thats me!

Does anybody know how easy the grill is to install? I presume a pull out and push in? Sore hand kidna thing? Cause i just pushed my old on back in but not sure if its right

very easily : theres a few vids on youtube matey.

think grills are about 50 quid from ford/fordparts or 80 on the bay

3 minutes ago, supraking said:

very easily : theres a few vids on youtube matey.

think grills are about 50 quid from ford/fordparts or 80 on the bay

Cheers mate.

Got the main grill on ford parts. 95 including shipping. Leaving the bottom one for now as its barely noticeable with the number plate on. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club