Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Yes.....More Laptop help......sleep/Hibernate stuff.

jace1969

I have put a few on here regarding a few little problems and only have one left,well 1 and a bit.

I have the MSi Gaming laptop and all great but its the sleep/hibernate i have a problem with if i close the lid as i do use it a lot.

Old HP worked great on the sleep setting,close lid into sleep then open and put in password and done,this one not,set on sleep

close lid then open lid and leave,keys light up etc but no screen just black so the old power button to restart,looked at all the setting

and nothing,tried Hibernate and works better but when you open lid takes a while to come back on as its more of a deep power saver and

i may aswell shut it down and restart,i wanted sleep to work where just open lid and password and up and going,any help would be great

and i have asked this on the MSi forum with no reply yet,this is driving me mad as if i want to leave it only for a few hours its close down job.

perhaps try a clean windows install (after reformatting), and try again. if it still doesn't work, then perhaps its a hardware issue, and you should return it for warranty repairs...

also make sure the bios is updated to the latest version...

As for the windows update it is a new install as only 2 weeks old,it all works amazing and fast is another thing.

Just this small problem that i can live with just was seeing if i can sort it,as for Bios update i have been told this by a few but MSi site

dont seem to have the same one for my model,close but not 100%the same and dont want to as they say'Brick it'.

Model is MSi GE62 6QD APACHE PRO.

If the BIOS is not correct for your model it probably won't let you install it anyway. But don't try and forcably install a different bios for a different model unless your really know what you are doing. Even "proper" bios updates can brick laptops. 

Have you checked all your power settings? There is usually a setting for "sleep" and another for "hard drive sleep" or worded something similar. Let the laptop keep the hard drive on and it should recover from sleep quicker. 

6 hours ago, Arwen said:

If the BIOS is not correct for your model it probably won't let you install it anyway. But don't try and forcably install a different bios for a different model unless your really know what you are doing. Even "proper" bios updates can brick laptops. 

Have you checked all your power settings? There is usually a setting for "sleep" and another for "hard drive sleep" or worded something similar. Let the laptop keep the hard drive on and it should recover from sleep quicker. 

The only setting i have is the sleep and hibernate and shutt down and turn off display,its the Lid setting i have tried 2 ways,on sleep and hibernate,hibernate does work

just only a bit fast than shutting down and sleep comes out of sleep as keyboard lights up and fan on etc but no screen,im trying leaving it on and setting the screen to

sleep in 1 hour and see if it comes out of it.

Ok tried the sleep mode set to go into sleep while lid is up and does the same so its the sleep mode where the problem is.

The way i do it as if i leave Laptop for 20 mins the display goes off so set it to that,save a bit of battery and off after 1 hour on plug.

This is with the lid up not closed and turned sleep off when closed just on Hibernate at the worst if i do close lid as this works just slower.

Sleep mode is the problem but i think i have found out from reading MSi site.

This laptop as the intel HD graphic and Nvidia and was told to tell which is working is off the power button light( blue= Intel Orange= Nvidia)

When it tries to come out of sleep the orange and blue light keeps switching like it dont know what to use to turn display on,put this

on MSi forum as well but takes ages to get back.

Sounds like a program running is preventing the laptop entering sleep. What are you doing on it before trying Sleep

If its anything like my laptop with NVidia and Intel graphics. the NVidia graphics only come into play under gaming or more heavy intense graphical work.

Have you tried starting the laptop up loading Windows as normal then putting it to sleep without doing anything else

11 hours ago, volts said:

Sounds like a program running is preventing the laptop entering sleep. What are you doing on it before trying Sleep

If its anything like my laptop with NVidia and Intel graphics. the NVidia graphics only come into play under gaming or more heavy intense graphical work.

Have you tried starting the laptop up loading Windows as normal then putting it to sleep without doing anything else

Well i have tried a few things,it goes into sleep mode great just wont come out of it,well screen wont as it just wont come on.

Yes i have tried not a thing just on for a while then close lid to sleep then open and wont come out of the sleep,keyboard lights up and fan comes on

and HDD you can hear etc just no screen,every other mode works like Hibernate and comes on but i noticed the orange/blue light keeps going from

on and off (orange then blue) not off as no light.

Been told by MSi its just a new Bios update,easy said than done,i have the link and download but a bit scared to try it as i have to put it

onto my flash drive,think its just drag and drop onto drive,might just say for a small problem i will leave it as i might have a bigger one

If they have advised to install a newer bios, and it is still in warranty than go for it. It should just be a case of dropping the file onto your desktop and running it.  

Most bios issues are caused when you have to have the bios on a flash drive and boot to it a few times. That is an old way of doing things however. Most new bios's are simply exe files that run from within windows. 
In 9 years of doing professional IT support, I have only bricked 2 devices by doing BIOS updates, in both cases the laptops were under warrenty and they didn't take the BIOS due to a motherboard fault. Manufacturer replaced the motherboard and everything was then fine. 

11 minutes ago, Arwen said:

If they have advised to install a newer bios, and it is still in warranty than go for it. It should just be a case of dropping the file onto your desktop and running it.  

Most bios issues are caused when you have to have the bios on a flash drive and boot to it a few times. That is an old way of doing things however. Most new bios's are simply exe files that run from within windows. 
In 9 years of doing professional IT support, I have only bricked 2 devices by doing BIOS updates, in both cases the laptops were under warrenty and they didn't take the BIOS due to a motherboard fault. Manufacturer replaced the motherboard and everything was then fine. 

With everything crossed i went for it,got them off the MSi site what the people on there gave me,put them onto a formatted flash drive and went through the process.

Its one of them moments when it says ''Bios update complete'' system will reboot then its the ''please reboot'' and did and sleep mode works great.

First time and worked,i hate going into the setting on the boot up where it says hold the Delete button on boot up,only ever change boot order before.

Thanks to all again for yet another topic i put on here,might put a few on but they all help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club