Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Axle stands

lloydyyy

Hi all,

I've been using a pair of Ultimate Speed axle stands for the past few years to support the weight of my Mk6 Fiesta whenever I've serviced it.  The axle stands are the collapsible ones and rated up to 2 tonnes.  They've served me fairly well.

I was wandering around Halfords yesterday looking at their shiny spanner sets and glanced at the axle stands on the shelf.  I noticed a set that are rated up to 3 tonnes, so I began to question my set - they're rated up to 2 tonnes, but I'm fairly certain that's the combined weight for both stands, not the weight per stand.  So then I wondered - are they good enough, in terms of when I jack the car up on one side and slide an axle stand underneath, and then go to the other side and do the same.  If the stands can hold up to 1 tonne each, is it 'safe' for one stand to temporarily hold up one side of the car until I do the other?  I always check the stands over before I use them and they seem fine.  Am I being a little paranoid about one stand (rated to 1 tonne) temporarily holding up one side of the car?  Or should I buy a new set of stands that can hold up to 1.5 tonnes each?

I don't think you have a problem.   Half the weight of the car is going to be on the two wheels of the other axle, the one you're not jacking up.

• Like 2

The safe working load on the stands should be per stand, not per pair.  I've never had an issue using 2 tonne stands on any car so far, however I'm not sure I'd trust collapsible ones lol.

• Like 2

I purchased the two tonne ones and they are great for holding my mk6. Says its 1.5 ton in the manual of the car. Just make sure you jack the car properly ;)

Cheer Ryan

Just to be on the safe side you could also leave the jack in position as well as the axle stands or even put the spare wheel or your tool box under the car so if the worst happens, the car will fall on them rather than you

• Like 1

I always place a wheel under the car as well as an axle stand, If I'm removing a wheel anyway

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club