Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam supply - Focus ST3 2016

Mr_Freeze

I want to hard wire in my dashcam. It's currently plugged into the the cigar lighter, which works fine as it powers up when I open the door and stays on for a couple of minutes after I lock up.

so I bought one of those "add a fuse" extra output thingies to use on fuse 61.

Found out though that it doesn't fit as the "add a a fuse" has a small shoulder where the original fuse finishes. Couple this with the fact there's a plug socket adjacent fuse 61 it means I can't get it in.

Anyone else wired in permanently, if so what did you use?

Does anyone know what colour the wire is coming off fuse 61 going to the cigar lighter?

Hi Mr Freeze

There is a guide to hard wiring your dash cam on the forums. It is for a mobious dash cam. here's the link

I have a DOD LS460 w  but as my car is 3 year lease Dont want to hard wire. So I am going to see if I can hide the cable somehow. all 4 mtrs of it.

\good luck

• Like 1

I have the same piggy back fuse, but the shoulder at the back stops it going into fuse 61.

I can follow the link to the guide, but I can't see anywhere to click to open the actual guide only the links to the card, cable etc ???

On 22 May 2016 at 9:26 PM, alexp999 said:

I have this one on mine. Fits fine:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321819481669?_mwBanner=1

Connected it to fuse 87 (heated steering)

Hi Alex,

yes I have a piggy back fuse nearly same as this, the shoulder at the back stops it going into fuse 61 due to the multi plug adjacent.

It will go into 87, but isn't this a permanent 12v?

No, heated steering is ignition only.

Mine is plugged in to fuse 87 and comes on and off with ignition :)

• Like 2

As per Alexp999 suggestion I am now using the "add a fuse" in fuse 87 and it works fine switching on and off with the ignition.

I would really prefer that it worked off fuse 61 as this is the cigar lighter and it comes on when I unlock and powers down a couple of minutes after I lock the doors. It also powers down if it's left unlocked with nothing happening after a couple of minutes.

So seeing as how the add a fuse won't fit in F61, could one of you very clever people tell what colour wire it is that goes to the lighter so that I can find it at the fuse box and do a snap on tee joint instead?

And it's the connector adjacent to fuse 61

• Like 1

I would avoid tapping into the socket feed from 61 as in my experience this interferes with the central locking signal making locking and unlocking glitchy.

Much better to stick with fuse 87.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

And it's the connector adjacent to fuse 61

Thanks Ian, are you a Ford tech?

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I would avoid tapping into the socket feed from 61 as in my experience this interferes with the central locking signal making locking and unlocking glitchy.

Much better to stick with fuse 87.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Clive I've had it temporarily plugged into the lighter socket since I got it and had no problem, can't see the difference from been in the socket to having it tapped into the wire?

I'm speaking from experience (on my previous mk2 and current ST) where I had periods when my central locking was sluggish and the boot wouldn't unlock with the fob.

On the ST I would find that keyless entry was slow to respond and the boot would only unlock if the key was out of my pocket.

My assumption is that the plug in adaptor was imparting RF interference via the cable to the camera that jammed the signal to the RCL antenna to some effect.

Wiring it in via an ignition live supply rather than a circuit affected by RCL stopped any any interference immediately.

Leave the adaptor plugged in to the power socket, lock the car and then try opening the boot and you may well experience the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club