Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Severe Rattle - 1 day old ST180

dmizz93

Hey All

Picked my ST180 up yesterday after my last one was replaced (faulty vehicle)

I thought all was well until I got it home and noticed quite a severe rattle from the cabin. I believe its coming from the pedal assembly could be a vibration? 

The car only does this when it's in idle but no other time? I for the life of me cant figure out what it is. 

I'm uploading a video to youtube so I'll post the link as soon as it's completed - any help would be appreciated if you've experienced similar noise!

*Edit* Here it is...

Sounds like a tappet.

Does it do it with just ignition on but engine off?

Does it do it as soon as you start the engine or only once the engine revs have dropped? Or does it stop after the engine has idled for a bit (auto choke).

I can't quite tell from the video if it is electrical (like a relay) or resonant (i.e. vibration).

It's something that should be fixable under warranty, could be really simple.

Need to try an narrow down what is causing it though.

Can you hear it outside/underneath the car or under the bonnet, or only in the cabin?

7 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Does it do it with just ignition on but engine off?

Does it do it as soon as you start the engine or only once the engine revs have dropped? Or does it stop after the engine has idled for a bit (auto choke).

I can't quite tell from the video if it is electrical (like a relay) or resonant (i.e. vibration).

It's something that should be fixable under warranty, could be really simple.

Need to try an narrow down what is causing it though.

Can you hear it outside/underneath the car or under the bonnet, or only in the cabin?

Hey, thanks for the response.. 

I was at work so didn't really have time to type everything up.. lol 

I've clarified things below and had a further look this evening, I'm still stumped though :') 

Only happens when engine is on and revs are >1000rpm. 
This will happen regardless of whether engine has been on for 5 minutes or 2 hours. As this happens when under 1000 rpm it doesn't happen when engine is cold due to the car idling slightly higher. 

The sound itself reverberates around the cabin area but is more prominent near the pedal assembly.. 

It is barely audible from outside the cabin, I got under the car. Whilst there is a slight noise it's nowhere near the level of the cabin noise. That said, the sound bounces around the cabin so I literally have no idea what's causing it! 

I had the AA come to the vehicle as the garage won't be open til Tuesday, they couldn't identify the cause of rattle. However he did seem to think it was coming through the clutch system, odd because of hydraulics (should you expect a vibration that resonates under 1000rpm?)

Could be: 
Read of head unit 
Pedal assembly
Rubbing material/bracket
Exhause system
Engine mount 

Those are my possible causes but feel free to add a few more!! 

Sounds like a mechanical rattle rather than a relay going crazy to me. Other than that, what Alex said :)

I'd reject the car in case of future problems.

12 minutes ago, MarksST said:

I'd reject the car in case of future problems.

Mmm yeah.. 

Thing is, this is the replacement for the car I've just handed back because of the faulty boost pressure regulator, takes the biscuit! 

If its non mechanical and is just a loom/bracket I'm clearly happy to keep it. If it's something more sinister I'll think about my options!

Does the 180 have the exhaust resonator? Might be that with something loose.

Tried putting a toe under each pedal one at a time to see if a pedal is "bouncing" against its stop?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club