Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2.0 tdci tuning

2cdempster

Hi everyone I am currently in the progress of tuning my Ford Focus 2.0 tdci and I am interested I asking some questions about what my options are and if anyone has came up against any issues whilst tuning the car.

also to get an idea of what sort of things I can do to the car and the performance gains I should achieve

also I am interested in what sort of increase in power my engine can take before I need to start sticking my hands deep In my pocket.

look forward to hearing for you soon

cheers

I've had a look but it doesn't have my model or make. My car is mapped at the moment and is pushing 170 bhp right now but I want more. I am due to get the dpf gutted and a new remap which should take me to 185bhp but still want to do more. Anyone have any ideas. At the moment I am currently looking at a custom exhaust with dual exits but that's not till later as its coming out about £460 but I should see about 5-10 hp more

anyome else have any other good ideas or anyone else done tuning a Ford Focus tdci?

would be good to know what the engine needs before I need to look at internals and reinforcing the engine 

It does, it gives 180 bhp and 400nm torque, need to use the search as Ford isn't on the banner. Nice thing about the Spider is it learns your car, so if you upgrade the exhaust etc, you just out it in relearn mode and it remaps itself. its a dynamic map and not like a fixed ecu map

http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=163_203_204_206

• Like 1

@madmole

Is your engine the non econetic 1.6 seeing as how you've upgraded to 150PS.?

I have the econectic 1.6 and looking for suitable remap upgrades and the Spider looks like a good option. Any suggestions would be welcome :-)

the 2.0 TDCI certainly responds well to a bit of tuning- i ended up buying a clone Kess v2 from eBay and read the ecu (tried to remap myself using winols but too much of a head ache with the delphi 3.5 ecu)so sent it off to these guys http://www.ecufiles.com/

and got a stage 1 tune suposedly 192hp/413nm with egr off for 90 euro then reflashed it with the Kess again- big difference in performance from 2500 - 4000rpm,powershift trans seems to handle the torque ok-would like to remove the DPF also and map it out as there is noticable difference in performance once it gets up to about 80% just before a regen.

using obd2 elm 327 reader and forscan on the iPhone shows a good bump in the maf from around 155 to 171 g/s--would love to dyno it sometime.

Probably the big issue would be if you did crank up the torque with mods(boost,injectors etc.) will the powershift trans clutches handle it well(rated 450nm max)? i,ve started to get a bit of clutch shudder lately when very hot even though it's a wet double clutch.

Hi guys I'm a newbie on here.

just reading through the above posts and on my previous car I was always led to believe that the tuning boxes were no good for the engine and it was always best to go with a remap.

of course a remap is best but price and convienience! i had no issues with the tuning box, just don't go crazy with the settings-use a  mid power setting and don't run full throttle everywhere!.The DPF may soot up quicker and regen a little more often but the lower part throttle boost in torque was nice(reduced the turbo lag).also you could blank off the egr with a cheap plate and with a tuning box it can be a cheaper easy torque boost until a remap is done.

with regards to the Spider device-it looks just  like a fancy tuning box i.e. intercepts the fuel rail and boost pressure sensor not altering the ECU in any way? bit sceptical on the hp and torque figures if it's not adjusting other things like the torque limiters/fuel injection duration-start etc. just bumping up rail pressure and boost to match a certain map curve.correct me if i'm wrong but couldn't find any worthwhile info on their site to state otherwise?

It's actually analysing the Maf and the fuel pressure thousands of times a second and then altering the values dynamically to get the desired effect. It has 6 ideal maps built in, but because of the dynamic nature of the way it works it will get perfect results for your car every time unlike a map that is 1profile and only correct on the day it was done. It also learns the cars original limits and will not take any parameter beyond the range set by Ford, it just alters the rate and timing of those figures

it also is responsive to how you drive. Drive sedately and it on the fly lowers the map to favour fuel economy, drive aggresivly and it instantly kicks in the full map

takes a while when it first goes on to learn your car and its optimum settings just like a good mapper does rather than using a one size fits all static map, which could have any settings and take things out of fords intended ranges. It has a lot of safety features built in as well

the spider is not like the other tuning boxes, many of which are literally a fixed resister to oomph up fuel pressure. Go look at its reviews on other furums

now I know how to do it, it takes 5 mins to fit on my car and 7 mins to remove and leaves no trace unlike a map as the mk3 records whenever the Ecu map is changed

i leave mine on fast road 3 all the time as race is a little too aggressive when transporting dogs and/or mother in law. The gain in torque is phenomenal

so don't just write it off as another tuning box. Anyone with a 1.6 tad I near Staines who wants to try it is welcome, although it's now adjusted to my car with a K&N and snorkel delete so won't be perfect for yours. A relearn for a new car is 50 miles approx. It runs bad for the first 10

Hi I have a focus 1.8 tdci I had a plug in box and had nothing but problems engine management light ect.(KEEP AWAY)

i got a decent remap,viper induction kit,egr blanking plate,full s/steel exhaust,bigger intercooler

also when got the remap done they turned my turbo boost pressure up so  turbo kicks in at 2000rpm instead of standard which think was 3000rpm.

even got a nice diesel Bov dump valve which sounds mint.

other than this not much you can do to tune the tdci unless you spend silly    Money

certainly not writing the spider off Madmole as another tuning box it appears to be a well developed device and if i were to buy another tuning box it would on the top of my list- but abit pricey

.-i ran a digital good quality one for a while and was very impressed by the torque increase and had recommended to other friends to get one, but at the end of the day it can only adjust the fuel rail pressure and boost pressure so i was sceptical on the hp and torque figures spider claimed as a good remap dosn't even get near those figures(so most likely short term maximum peak attainable power in perfect conditions!)---what led lights did you use for the reversing lights as i'm looking for some bright ones to replace my current ones.

• 7 months later...

2014 2.0 TDCI Zetec S Powershift

mines going in tommo, DPF removed and remapped, cant wait, any advise with it being auto

Dont delete the dpf, mot about to be changed to test for that

Get a proper remap always the best option opposed to using a tuning box, a lot of people they work for but a lot of people don't realise most of them just over fuel the engine, few people I know who've had one have had issues, petrols and diesels but some have been okay.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Dont delete the dpf, mot about to be changed to test for that

good to know but i'll let my mate, who mot's for me worry about that in 11 month thanks anyway

1 hour ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Get a proper remap always the best option opposed to using a tuning box, a lot of people they work for but a lot of people don't realise most of them just over fuel the engine, few people I know who've had one have had issues, petrols and diesels but some have been okay.

only thru reading advise on hear ive decided to pay a very good garage (powertune in widnes) to remove the dpf and fully remap to the max that i can and am gunna let you experts guide me.... please

19 hours ago, Corker said:

good to know but i'll let my mate, who mot's for me worry about that in 11 month thanks anyway

VOSA can still stop you and test your car at random which is getting more common removing your DPF now is just a bit silly with tests soon being able to check for the DPF properly.

19 hours ago, Corker said:

only thru reading advise on hear ive decided to pay a very good garage (powertune in widnes) to remove the dpf and fully remap to the max that i can and am gunna let you experts guide me.... please

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2017 at 7:50 PM, Corker said:

2014 2.0 TDCI Zetec S Powershift

mines going in tommo, DPF removed and remapped, cant wait, any advise with it being auto

Personaly i woudnt keep telling everyone. 

• 4 years later...

What was the outcome?

Is a remap the only way for more power?? Surely, a big turbo and intercooler with an uprated clutch to handle the power makes sense.....

• 8 months later...

2.0 TDCI 2015 Euro 6 Focus.

Remapped by Celtic Tuning just over 5 years ago, used for work. 70K miles on it post tuning no issues. DPF etc all intact, just a remap. DCT box.

Was 147bhp 280lb/ft TQ

Now 211bhp, 370lb/ft TQ

48mpg overall, goes like batshit. TC gives up very quickly. Don't use loony power all the time. Torque steer can be ferocious in first. 

One minor drawback, VERY slightly jumpy at very low speed manoeuvering, usually in reverse, but nothing to notice really. 

Oh, and thirty quid a year road tax!

When it was still being main dealer serviced, they never picked up on it at all. Apparently, all it does it change the checksum at the end of a diagnosis, so I was told.

iv got the 2013 2.0 tci engine .it was originally 163 bhp.   i had a remap carried out to increase output to 198 bhp.  noiced huge difference in torque.  pulls like a train on the motorway.  much quicker through gears.  no difference top speed wise but gearing is the issue there.   pulls to 130 at a push. had no issues with increase in power but i assume it could put extra pressire on the clutch if i drove it like that. but i dont.  still delivers upwards of 50 mpg on long drives and once achieved 62 but that was hard to achieve.  defo worth the money for the remap.    

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club