Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus modification suggestions

Billyygibson

Hi guys, 

I've recently bought a 2006 Focus 1.8 TDCi Sport. I'll post some photos soon, but it's grey 5dr. I want to get some ideas for cheap and reasonably easy modifications I can do. I had the rear windows tinted to dark smoke yesterday, and one of my headlight bubls blew so I've changed them to GE sportlights which seem to be a bit brighter and whiter. I'm thinking about HID conversion, remap (I know thats not cheap but I could save), different side light bulbs, new wheels and other interior bits. What are your suggestions that I could do?

Bearing in mind I'm on an apprenticeship wage, this is going to be a slow project as I'll have to wait for every payday to do something that costs a bit! 

Thanks 

P.S i'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place please point me in the right direction and I'll repost. 

Car1.jpg

Car2.jpg

Edited by Billyygibson
EDIT: Added photos after I had it cleaned at lunch today. 

Have a browse through some of the build threads on the site for inspiration, there's loads of things you could do!

Here's mine:

Thanks for the reply Dan, I'll have a look through. 

It's always fun starting out where to mod your car and always dictated by money! But looks wise usually the first thing is to put on a good set of mags and tyres as that will transform the look of your car immediately and maybe improve a bit of the handling.Changing the interior bulbs to cheap 6000k leds gets rid of the 'yellow' look, then some led indicator/brake /parkers to sparkle up the outside looks a bit.Not too pricey for leds but might give it a bit of character!!

a remap of course is awesome as you get a good boost in performance(more fun to drive with the new mags on it) i.e. for the TDCI 1.8 115HP/280Nm  a nice boost to say 150hp/353Nm is noticable.--stage 1 tune 80 euro if you had someone to read and write the ecu for you.or a bluefin by superchips remap.

i ran a diesel chip from these guys(http://www.tuningkit.com/chiptuning/ford/focus/2-da3/1-8-tdci-85kw/index.php) for about 6 months-easy to fit gave it a good boost in torque until i got a remap(2.0 TDCI) worth every penny.

have fun

• Like 1

one of the cheapest , insurance friendly , visually effective mods is changing the standard interior / exterior filament  bulbs to leds - all of them !

front sides , rear stop / tail & numberplate lights all benefit from an upgrade to high power leds ( dont bother with indicators you'll get flash speed problems )

got mudflaps front & rear ? if not get some

team heko wind deflectors  are popular and look trick.

new numberplates and radio ariel are easy ways of giving a car a fresh appearance

stylish honeycomb front grills are available on eBay for not much cash if your car hasnt got them

after that performance mods - engine chip / sports exhaust / uprated suspension / new wheels start to cost a few quid....

the only limits are wallet & imagination..................  ;-)

• Like 1

Facelift centre console, LED rear bulbs, Facelift or aftermarket radio, carbon effect steering wheel inserts.

loads of mods to do.

I had the same car as you previous to my ST and I had lots of fun tinkering with the styling.

Still have my tuning box from TDI Tuning which are currently running to £295.

Yours for £75 if you want it.

My guides from jobs I did on my Mk2-

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Billyygibson said:

Hi guys, 

I've recently bought a 2006 Focus 1.8 TDCi Sport. I'll post some photos soon, but it's grey 5dr. I want to get some ideas for cheap and reasonably easy modifications I can do. I had the rear windows tinted to dark smoke yesterday, and one of my headlight bubls blew so I've changed them to GE sportlights which seem to be a bit brighter and whiter. I'm thinking about HID conversion, remap (I know thats not cheap but I could save), different side light bulbs, new wheels and other interior bits. What are your suggestions that I could do?

Bearing in mind I'm on an apprenticeship wage, this is going to be a slow project as I'll have to wait for every payday to do something that costs a bit! 

Thanks 

P.S i'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place please point me in the right direction and I'll repost. 

My list of Guides are here if interested 

build thread 

• Like 3

Wow guys, thanks for all the suggestions!!

I definitely don't need any inspiration now! I've just ordered a new reversing bulb I saw on the forum somewhere, looks a lot brighter than the original. As its the Sport spec Focus my car has already got alloy wheels but I'm definitely looking to upgrade them at some point. Was thinking of just putting on Focus/Fiesta ST wheels on there because I quite like the look of the anthracite ones and plus it'll still be Ford wheels then and the police might not stop me. :P

Changing the interior lighting shouldnt take long as I've got about three bulbs haha, I did already try with the reading light but I bought two bulbs from Halfords and both were too small - apparently I have to buy the same ones I bought for the number plate. Which brings me to my other point - I put LEDs in the number plate lights and although noticeably white, they're not very bright at all. Is there a good product I can use to maybe clean up the plastic casing on the number plate lights? I've got a friend with a Fiesta who bought the exact same bulbs and they are visibly brighter when we were parked next to each other. 

Got mudflaps already so that's sorted. Will get wind deflectors too as I think they look pretty cool and I hear they actually have practical use too! 

A couple of people have mentioned that certain style number plates are illegal? Is that dependant on font style or sizing or what? 

Also, speaking of radio antennas, my radio signal is pretty bad wherever I go. I can't even get Heart FM which is normally (annoyingly) the only radio station that's always got good reception. Would this change if I was to get a different antenna? 

On 1 June 2016 at 11:15 PM, Stoney871 said:

Still have my tuning box from TDI Tuning which are currently running to £295.

Yours for £75 if you want it.

Any chance you could enlighten me on what a tuning box is? Probably a stupid question, sorry!

It plugs in between the fuel injector loom and injector rail on the engine to reconfigure fuel delivery and add about 15 - 20 % more power from the engine.

Sent from my SM-G930F

see the black round bit all the injectors coming off centre of page?

you will see a black connector you unclip that 1 part into each end of the chip box and your away unplug n plug when you like

image.jpeg

That's it.

Same as the one I have on my bits shelf gathering dust.

Sent from my SM-G930F

6 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

That's it.

Same as the one I have on my bits shelf gathering dust.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I've PM'd you.

• Like 1

Seen and replied

Sent from my SM-G930F

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club