Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST150 idle issue

TomsFocus

So been driving the ST today and pretty happy with it tbh.

Only issue is the idle.  It actually idles OK but when dropping back to idle or between gears and slow speed it's dropping way too far to like 500rpm then massively overcompensating up to like 1500rpm before sitting steady around 1k.

Forscan showed no PCM fault codes at all.

Live data showed TPS works fine, pas pressure switch works fine, clutch switch works fine, coolant temp sensor and ambient air temp sensor work fine.  Only one that didn't seem to was the intake temp sensor which read 33c from cold for 10 mins of engine running with no change - I guess that's not right?  But would it cause these idle issues?

I assume these don't have an ICV as I couldn't find one in the live data list.  Bit there was so much other stuff in there I'm not sure if I should've been looking at any others?

I can't recreate this issue by just blipping the throttle either which doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tom

Sometimes PCM updates fixes this sort of thing, but I don't know if it is possible to check yourself what version you are on.

ETIS doesn't show any outstanding actions but not sure how accurate that is.

However a bit more googling this evening and a few people are saying its normal...rolling out of gear/with the clutch in the ECU gets confused!?  I've never had this issue on anything else though, I know I'm a bugger for coasting a little further than I should but an ECU should be able to cope with that lol? 

Can any other Mk6 ST owners confirm that it's 'normal'? :unsure: 

http://fordfiestast.co.uk/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/351578/site_id/1#import

http://fordfiestast.co.uk/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/350490/site_id/1#import

If you create an account as an independent operator, you can login to etis and access the software information.

If an update is available it will say software updates under the relevant module, which you can click on and it gives you a little more info (although not usually much useful info).

I use it to see when updates are available for certain things.

etis wont show anything , have you disconnected the throttle body at all? . there is a pcm update that can cure your issue if its not been done allready.

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

etis wont show anything , have you disconnected the throttle body at all? . there is a pcm update that can cure your issue if its not been done allready.

Mk6 too old?

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

No I haven't touched anything under the bonnet bar checking fluids.

How do I find out if there's an outstanding PCM update for it?

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Mk6 too old?

Yeah, I just checked, was worth a try though -

Vehicle software information is not available for your selected vehicle. This information is currently available for Stage V and selected Stage IV emission vehicles.

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, I just checked, was worth a try though -

Vehicle software information is not available for your selected vehicle. This information is currently available for Stage V and selected Stage IV emission vehicles.

Ah :(

I don't know if something like forscan can read a version number from the PCM? Otherwise it might be a trip to the dealers, or someone who has IDS.

yep to old, as tom just found out. lol

only way to find out is have ids connected and pcm check.

try initilising the throttle body, basically, disconnect connector for a minute or so, refit, switch ign on for 1 minute( engine not running, do not press throttle pedal) switch off, leave for a minute. then start it up and give it a drive. still think pcm update might be needed.

• Like 1

How much do Ford charge just to plug it in and check?  I don't know anyone with IDS or at the local dealership unfortunately lol. 

Will try initialising the TB before I go out in the morning and let you know if it's any better later on!

charge what they can get away with basically unfortunatly.

• Like 1

PCM update is £103.20 at the local dealer. :sad:  Guess I'll learn to live with it then lol.

Are there any cheap copies of IDS about?  I have a cheap copy of Peugeot Planet which has been fine.  Is it something I could do myself with IDS or is the software not available to the public?

36 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

PCM update is £103.20 at the local dealer. :sad:  Guess I'll learn to live with it then lol.

Are there any cheap copies of IDS about?  I have a cheap copy of Peugeot Planet which has been fine.  Is it something I could do myself with IDS or is the software not available to the public?

ive got a vcx nano and it works very well. plug it in run it and it searches and downloads all the latest updates. ive updated all my modules. for £70 i paid its been an absolute bargain.

4 minutes ago, Typhoonf2 said:

ive got a vcx nano and it works very well. plug it in run ids it searches and downloads all the latest updates. ive updated all my modules and wrote the mileage to my new cluster with it. for £70 i paid its been an absolute bargain.

I'd really like to get one of these to do my own updates....

Where do the updates come from? Do you need an Etis subscription?

I was just looking at those wondering whether they were any good or just cheap rubbish haha!

As above though, are the software updates free and easily available to us?  

Quick update, throttle body reset hasn't helped.

Just had quick chat with lad with one of the st's , he said he had it idle at 500 then 1200rpm up and down, pcm update fixed it.

• Like 1

Alex, the focus 3,5 and later fords are bit hit and miss doing updates via ids, updates are now migrating to fdrs system that comunicates directly ford so they know what updates are done on what vehicle and by who!! Big brother watching. Lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

Alex, the focus 3,5 and later fords are bit hit and miss doing updates via ids, updates are now migrating to fdrs system that comunicates directly ford so they know what updates are done on what vehicle and by who!! Big brother watching. Lol

When you say hit and miss, does that mean you can't update all modules, or it doesn't always work?

Thinking of getting one of the VCX Nanos, be nice to be able to do software updates myself....

Do you think you could use the hardware with Ford Etis online as an independent operator?

EDIT:

On Ford etis, it just says you need a J2534-2 VCI device, and it let me download the java applet and run it.

On the VCX Nano manufacturer's website it says Fully compatible with SAE-J2534-1 & SAE-J2534-2.

So it should work? Assuming I don't need to pay for a license to do software updates?

Looks like it has logged against my VIN I have downloaded the software already though, haha.

Doesn t allways work apparently, im sure you will have to pay a licence fee to use fdrs functionality

Looks like with FDRS, it charges you per operation.

So I'll have a go and see how much it wants per update.

Knowing Ford it will be ridiculous, lol.

Otherwise I'll just use the bundled software and have a go with that. At the very least it should work with my parent's cars which is useful.

What do you reckon about doing mine myself using a nano vcx thing Ian?  Old enough to be ok on a 2008 Fiesta?

Edit - And the 2.5 focus as well.  Though I guess I can't update the PCM without losing the remap on there?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club