Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Careers advice

Preecematt

Evening everyone,

Basically as the title suggests, is anyone on here a career adviser.  I'm 24 & looking at changing my career(got a few options I'd like to look at) but I have all the adult responsibilities.  Mortgage, kids etc.  Anybody with any suggestions as to what to do & how to do it, such as training etc.  Pretty blunt question I know.   Any help would be massively appreciated, Thanks in advance, Matt

Think I've said this before;

But there's great pay in pharmaceutical and chemical manufacturing industry of there's anything within an hour's drive from you, 

all GMP training provided within the role. 

• Like 1

There's also good money and job security in Accounting.

I'm a trainee chartered accountant working in Audit, and the training program is fully funded, full working salary etc. Can do it with or without a degree. Could also go into other areas such as management accounting or tax, depending on your interests.

Plus, we're not all as boring as everyone thinks - promise.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lenny said:

Think I've said this before;

But there's great pay in pharmaceutical and chemical manufacturing industry of there's anything within an hour's drive from you, 

all GMP training provided within the role. 

I can second this, i work for a Pharma company (2nd biggest on the planet) and the pay, pension scheme and share scheme are fantastic.
These company offer full training usually as the laws governing pharmaceutical company's are very strict, so full training in all departments is a must.

Also because of this training advancement is usually from within, a lad where i work started as a team member 6 years ago and is now a manager as he has been promoted 4 times, he's only 30 and married with 2 young kids, he is now set for life.
Pay rise every year, buy in to the share scheme every year, 10% of what you earn paid in to a pension by the company which you can add to if you want.

the very best of luck to you in your search btw.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Figgis41 said:

I can second this, i work for a Pharma company (2nd biggest on the planet) and the pay, pension scheme and share scheme are fantastic.
These company offer full training usually as the laws governing pharmaceutical company's are very strict, so full training in all departments is a must.

Also because of this training advancement is usually from within, a lad where i work started as a team member 6 years ago and is now a manager as he has been promoted 4 times, he's only 30 and married with 2 young kids, he is now set for life.
Pay rise every year, buy in to the share scheme every year, 10% of what you earn paid in to a pension by the company which you can add to if you want.

the very best of luck to you in your search btw.

Hi5 ✋

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'd never thought about Pharma company before, not sure where there is one near me to be honest.  As for Accounting, I'll tell you a little story it is relevant.  My now wife used to sit behind me in maths class & copy me, as well as steal my ipod & she got higher GCSE result in maths lol.  I don't think I could sit in a office all day & isn't there a lot of stress in accounting also I didn't do to well in my GCSE's so would those affect getting a career in the 2 mentioned fields?

15 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

Thanks guys, I'd never thought about Pharma company before, not sure where there is one near me to be honest.  As for Accounting, I'll tell you a little story it is relevant.  My now wife used to sit behind me in maths class & copy me, as well as steal my ipod & she got higher GCSE result in maths lol.  I don't think I could sit in a office all day & isn't there a lot of stress in accounting also I didn't do to well in my GCSE's so would those affect getting a career in the 2 mentioned fields?

If you done well in home economics well basically if you can make an Apple tart your in 👍

In my manufacturing position the quantitys are already printed on paperwork we just follow the figures adding this and that. Hence how I've created all the guides having so much spare time to think 😅

3 minutes ago, Lenny said:

If you done well in home economics well basically if you can make an Apple tart your in 👍

In my manufacturing position the quantitys are already printed on paperwork we just follow the figures adding this and that. Hence how I've created all the guides having so much spare time to think 😅

Oh cool, yes I am good at home economics, my specialty is Sunday Roast & Apple Crumble(other options are available lol) I'd like to own a restaurant/pub one day but that's merely a dream

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Preecematt said:

Depends which branch of accountancy you go into. I'm in audit, so I spend very little time in my own office. Usually spend a week / 2 weeks at a client, then move onto the next one. Means you get a good level of exposure to various companies and industries - in my time there already I've audited companies in manufacturing, IT, green energy and firearms to name a few. And you don't need to be a maths wiz to be good a good accountant. 90% of it is done on a PC these days, with specific programs and Excel etc. It's more about the way you think things through and analyse things. And I think most training courses/apprenticeships/graduate programs will have roughly similar requirements. Quite often, as long as you 'passed' maths and English GCSE and then have the relevant A-Level/degree requirements, you'll get considered. I didn't even need A Level maths for my audit apprenticeship (even though I had it), which is a common misconception people have.

I enjoyed the audit work I did. Most accountancy exams are on principles iirc, rather than 1+1... So it can be quite wordy...

1 hour ago, Benji. said:

Depends which branch of accountancy you go into. I'm in audit, so I spend very little time in my own office. Usually spend a week / 2 weeks at a client, then move onto the next one. Means you get a good level of exposure to various companies and industries - in my time there already I've audited companies in manufacturing, IT, green energy and firearms to name a few. And you don't need to be a maths wiz to be good a good accountant. 90% of it is done on a PC these days, with specific programs and Excel etc. It's more about the way you think things through and analyse things. And I think most training courses/apprenticeships/graduate programs will have roughly similar requirements. Quite often, as long as you 'passed' maths and English GCSE and then have the relevant A-Level/degree requirements, you'll get considered. I didn't even need A Level maths for my audit apprenticeship (even though I had it), which is a common misconception people have.

I only did my GCSE's, then went to college to study mechanics but had to leave at the end of the 2nd year, so I've only got Level 1&2 in that & then C&G Adult numeracy & Literacy 1&2.  Suppose it's just a case of hunting around & doing a bit of research

50 minutes ago, Ianb said:

I enjoyed the audit work I did. Most accountancy exams are on principles iirc, rather than 1+1... So it can be quite wordy...

What do you mean, on Principles?  How you are as a person etc/how you do things

38 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

I only did my GCSE's, then went to college to study mechanics but had to leave at the end of the 2nd year, so I've only got Level 1&2 in that & then C&G Adult numeracy & Literacy 1&2.  Suppose it's just a case of hunting around & doing a bit of research

What do you mean, on Principles?  How you are as a person etc/how you do things

Sort of, yeah. Principles of accounting, what methods  you apply in which situations etc. More aimed at knowledge and theory, rather than 'please calculate and write out their accounts for the year'. And yeah, unfortunately, research and applications and looking around are often the best bet. Sucks, but it will pay off in the end.

6 hours ago, Benji. said:

Sort of, yeah. Principles of accounting, what methods  you apply in which situations etc. More aimed at knowledge and theory, rather than 'please calculate and write out their accounts for the year'. And yeah, unfortunately, research and applications and looking around are often the best bet. Sucks, but it will pay off in the end.

Do you have to do ridiculous amounts of hours(I'm currently doing between 80-100 week) which is why I want leave as I Want to see my kids a bit more

At a firm I worked at they wanted you to stop working when the day ended... No overtime paid or unpaid... Other firms expect lots of overtime...

1 minute ago, Ianb said:

At a firm I worked at they wanted you to stop working when the day ended... No overtime paid or unpaid... Other firms expect lots of overtime...

See where I Am now, I'm on 39 basic then the rest is overtime at £11 p/h.  So I get lots of Overtime but I've had weeks where I've had quite a bit of time off & it was great. I'm seriously fed up with doing loads of hours, don't get thought of any more for it.  Especially as other people use a certain excuse and that's acceptable yet when you use it, it's not acceptable 

2 hours ago, Preecematt said:

See where I Am now, I'm on 39 basic then the rest is overtime at £11 p/h.  So I get lots of Overtime but I've had weeks where I've had quite a bit of time off & it was great. I'm seriously fed up with doing loads of hours, don't get thought of any more for it.  Especially as other people use a certain excuse and that's acceptable yet when you use it, it's not acceptable 

Nope. Days when I'm in my own office are usually 8-5 ish. Might stay longer if there's work that needs doing but most people try to stick to regular hours if they can. Some times if you're travelling it involves earlier starts. But for the most part you work your normal hours. In audit, we get time off in lieu as well, rather than paid overtime. So you get extra holiday essentially. Some firms do expect long weeks yes, but it depends where you are and what role you're in. Our standard weeks are 37.5 hours.

2 hours ago, Benji. said:

Nope. Days when I'm in my own office are usually 8-5 ish. Might stay longer if there's work that needs doing but most people try to stick to regular hours if they can. Some times if you're travelling it involves earlier starts. But for the most part you work your normal hours. In audit, we get time off in lieu as well, rather than paid overtime. So you get extra holiday essentially. Some firms do expect long weeks yes, but it depends where you are and what role you're in. Our standard weeks are 37.5 hours.

Your making this sound like my ideal job.  You considered being a sales rep for the Audit business lol.  Are you under a lot of pressure with deadlines etc.  I've looked at my local college & also open university to see what's going so far & I've drawn up, an up to date CV as well, so email them across tomorrow & maybe make a few phonecalls

Your making this sound like my ideal job.  You considered being a sales rep for the Audit business lol.  Are you under a lot of pressure with deadlines etc.  I've looked at my local college & also open university to see what's going so far & I've drawn up, an up to date CV as well, so email them across tomorrow & maybe make a few phonecalls

Aha. I enjoy my job so it's easier to plug it. Plus I've been to a lot of careers fairs so I know what to say! It's not always easy to be fair though. Had some late nights in the office (10pm record so far) and some weekends. But it's a good firm and a good career. If you find something you enjoy, the bad bits never seem as bad

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Benji. said:

Aha. I enjoy my job so it's easier to plug it. Plus I've been to a lot of careers fairs so I know what to say! It's not always easy to be fair though. Had some late nights in the office (10pm record so far) and some weekends. But it's a good firm and a good career. If you find something you enjoy, the bad bits never seem as bad

I did enjoy farming, infact you have to enjoy farming to be in it.  As it's one of those jobs, when it's a good day, it's a brilliat career but when it's a bad day, it's awful & really gets you depressed.  I've just lost my passion in it now as well.  Used to love it & be farming mad but not so much anymore, it's a case of oh it's just another job now.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club