Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Zetec S - Burning smell and horrible noises!

csothcott

Hi All,

I started to notice one or two odd issues on my Fiesta Zetec S (2015) 125PS ecoboost yesterday.

When off the revs its making a loud rattling/mechanical chugging type noise.

On the drive home from work (literally a 10 minute drive) I had my windows down and notices the turbo sounded nothing like I've ever heard it make before. lifting the throttle between 2-2.5k revs instead of the normal turbo "woosh" sound you get, it sounds much more powerful, like its got a massive dump valve on it! (sounds crazy I know) I did also notice that after being parked for 1-2 minutes after the drive home I started to smell a horrible burning inside the car and even outside.

I know I haven't given much detail but to be honest it's all I've got! Something just doesn't seem right.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

Have you had a look under the bonnet to see if anything looks unusual?

I'd get it back to a dealer if you are concerned, better to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Get someone to come out and look under the bonnet, even if it is one of the service guys. They might suggest leaving it, if it's not safe to keep driving.

• Like 1

Yeah, took a quick look around, which reminds me;

I know the engine/engine bay will have a bit of play/movement in it when under throttle, but it seemed to be shaking about like a crack addict when I had a check yesterday! Nothing else really noticeable apart from the ticking noise and smell!

suppose I best get her booked in.

• Like 1

Being a 3 cylinder it has quite soft engine mounts to absorb the vibration, so might just be normal.

• Like 1

Suppose so, puled up the diagnostic menu and found;

Er 1401 

Can't find the exact match to this code anywhere online, any ideas?

Re: your engine shaking - It's always very difficult when a problem occurs to remember just how things were before it happened.. I find myself double questioning everything - was it that rattly before? Did it just make a funny sound? 

As with others, get it to the garage, something clearly isn't right..

• Like 1

Didn't find anything for Er 1401 but found this for P1401.

P1401

Error Description

DPF EGR Sensor Circuit High Voltage Detected The EGR monitor checks the DPF EGR sensor signal to the PCM for high voltage. The test fails when the average voltage to the PCM goes to a voltage greater than the maximum calibrated value. DPF EGR circuit open VREF short to PWR Damaged DPF EGR sensor DPFEGR circuit short to PWR SIG RTN circuit open Damaged PCM A DPF EGR PID reading greater than 4.5 volts with the key ON and engine OFF or running, indicates a hard fault.

----------------

Not sure if it's any use but thought it might be something!

9 minutes ago, Ianb said:

Re: your engine shaking - It's always very difficult when a problem occurs to remember just how things were before it happened.. I find myself double questioning everything - was it that rattly before? Did it just make a funny sound? 

As with others, get it to the garage, something clearly isn't right..

Yeah I definitely agree with that! Never really had to take a look to see any movement before this! It was rattly before but only slightly and only when cold. Seems to be constant now. She's under warranty so I reckon I'll get booked in for a check, it could be nothing and me getting over paranoid due to an extremely !Removed! history regarding my luck and cars! But I suppose if it is nothing then I have the peace of mind knowing its been checked.

8 minutes ago, Tom-B64 said:

Didn't find anything for Er 1401 but found this for P1401.

P1401

Error Description

DPF EGR Sensor Circuit High Voltage Detected The EGR monitor checks the DPF EGR sensor signal to the PCM for high voltage. The test fails when the average voltage to the PCM goes to a voltage greater than the maximum calibrated value. DPF EGR circuit open VREF short to PWR Damaged DPF EGR sensor DPFEGR circuit short to PWR SIG RTN circuit open Damaged PCM A DPF EGR PID reading greater than 4.5 volts with the key ON and engine OFF or running, indicates a hard fault.

----------------

Not sure if it's any use but thought it might be something!

Awesome, thanks for that!

I did also find this related to Er1401 "Heated catalyst Current too High During Heating (Bank 1)" Seems more related to what I'm experiencing? 

• Like 1

Well, if you're smelling something burny/smelly, then there is bound to be something slightly off, even if it's just a minor one off something. That's brilliant that it's under warranty! Def get it booked in :D 

Best of luck

• Like 1

Thanks all, some good suggestions gave me a bit better peace of mind!

- Very helpful community here :)

Found this under that code: Differential Pressure Feedback Sensor (DPFE) Error

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club