Do Not Sell My Personal Information

loss of power

bucketbake

Morning

This morning en route to work i suffered the above, felt as if i was running out of fuel. Car came to a stop, left it for about a minute, restarted with out issue but was unable to go above 2nd with any kind of revs, the car felt choked off when any revs were applied and limped into work. There was no fuel warning light on in the car when i started off but having restarted it in the last hour its come on now, and i had thought it was a bit thirsty in the last few days.

This had previously happened to my wife last Thurs but having gone through a large puddle we felt that might have been the cause.

i have searched on the forum and found several possible causes. Now this car is new to me but i need a measured approach to resolving this.

i'm aware it could be

..fuel pump

..petentiometer

..fuel filter

..EGR

etc..

Do i simply have it serviced and start with the simplest thing first or have some other issues looked at in more depth at the same time?

Dirty fuel? maybe thats clogging up the filter. Any DTC error codes? hold down trip reset while switching on igntion (not starting the engine), turn dial to cycle through each test. I think the 6th test shows the DTC codes. The codes if any found start with P, C, B, so an example of a code would be P0125. Post up any codes you find.

Dirty fuel? maybe thats clogging up the filter. Any DTC error codes? hold down trip reset while switching on igntion (not starting the engine), turn dial to cycle through each test. I think the 6th test shows the DTC codes. The codes if any found start with P, C, B, so an example of a code would be P0125. Post up any codes you find.

funny i've had dirty fuel suggested to me though she was far from full to the brim to start with and i've added a couple of gallons in the last week, i guess it all just gets mixed and could well be in the pipes. Would that require a full drain and flush?

Had read the dtc code thing this morning so i'll get onto that...presuming i get home lol.

A motor factors would be able to suggest a fuel additive to help clear any blockages. Then a good run down the motorway should sort her out. :)

A motor factors would be able to suggest a fuel additive to help clear any blockages. Then a good run down the motorway should sort her out. :)

ok

so just did the diagnostic, apart from the Bulb test showing R20 then E002 the actual DTC part of it showed no error codes at all...

ok

so just did the diagnostic, apart from the Bulb test showing R20 then E002 the actual DTC part of it showed no error codes at all...

ok so i just had her serviced and it looks like she'd been neglected, mechanic tells me the plugs were burnt out. Tbh i'm not sure if this helps explain the loss of power, it may be a coincidence that i was low on fuel both times it happened, guess i'll wait and see but thanks all for suggestions thus far.

The DTC codes won't always show by doing the test I suggested. A lot of the time you will need a mechanic to plug in the diagnostic reader (OBD2). Spark plugs that are old would effect the cars performance. New HT leads (wires from spark plugs to distributor) should also be changed at the same time. An oil & filter change will make a world of difference as I learned when I done mine, car was sluggish before hand.

The DTC codes won't always show by doing the test I suggested. A lot of the time you will need a mechanic to plug in the diagnostic reader (OBD2). Spark plugs that are old would effect the cars performance. New HT leads (wires from spark plugs to distributor) should also be changed at the same time. An oil & filter change will make a world of difference as I learned when I done mine, car was sluggish before hand.

...well cautiously it seems a service has done the trick, fuel light came on and stayed on and no loss of power as has happened before...still lots of wee niggles to sort so a watching brief so far..

..though i think i need a 5 yr old to look at the central locking fuse and the dipped offside front bulb, my hands are too !Removed! big!

They make those fuse boxes way to awkward to get to on the mk1. That way you have no choice but to bring it to a main dealer. At least I think that's the logic behind it. The worst job to do in a mk2 focus is replacing the pollen filter, total wankr of a job to do, I lost 3 litres of sweat doing one. :lol:

Hi all,

I drive a 'Y' plate 2.0ltr ghia focus & am having the same issue I believe!

When the trip tells me I have 100 miles left on the range it starts losing major power but doesn't cut out! I have mAjor problems picking up speed but after fueling it it runs fine again! I can rev the car to 6000rpm when it's out of gear but I struggle to get it over 2300rpm when it is!!

Do you have recommendations? I don't think it's dirty fuel as I have used multiple stations and companies and it doesn't make a difference mand have used redex which also did nowt!

My car has just hit 55k and was last serviced in July on 52k when I boughtthe car!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
My car has just hit 55k and was last serviced in July on 52k when I boughtthe car!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

well for a start can you trust these garages when they tell you it will have a full service before hand over. I bet a good many of them just do an oil and filter change, you dip it and see the clean oil and say to yourself mmm nice.

For piece of mind and seeing as you are having issues, I'd check the service schedule HERE

Pop your car reg in and it will refresh to a page where you can then download the applicable service schedule in PDF format. And see what filters, plugs and such if any should have been replaced, and inspect them.

well for a start can you trust these garages when they tell you it will have a full service before hand over. I bet a good many of them just do an oil and filter change, you dip it and see the clean oil and say to yourself mmm nice.

For piece of mind and seeing as you are having issues, I'd check the service schedule HERE

Pop your car reg in and it will refresh to a page where you can then download the applicable service schedule in PDF format. And see what filters, plugs and such if any should have been replaced, and inspect them.

very usefull site that thanks for the info

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club