Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Topping up Coolant

BoopBoop

Hi all,

I have just looked at the engine of my Fiesta EcoBoost 1.0 and I have noticed the coolant is on the min mark. I am trying to find out which coolant I should fill it up with but I can't find a definitive answer - even the Ford official website only mentions the types they use up until 2013 and mine is a 2014 model.

Firstly, is coolant another name for Antifreeze?

Is there a specific type to put in it?

If I cant find a bottle that has the same colour coolant as in mine, will it be ok to mix it?

What does it do?

Thanks for any help, I would greatly appreciate it!

41 minutes ago, BoopBoop said:

Hi all,

I have just looked at the engine of my Fiesta EcoBoost 1.0 and I have noticed the coolant is on the min mark. I am trying to find out which coolant I should fill it up with but I can't find a definitive answer - even the Ford official website only mentions the types they use up until 2013 and mine is a 2014 model.

Firstly, is coolant another name for Antifreeze?

Is there a specific type to put in it?

If I cant find a bottle that has the same colour coolant as in mine, will it be ok to mix it?

What does it do?

Thanks for any help, I would greatly appreciate it!

hi yes antifreeze is another name for coolant, what colour is yours at the moment, if it`s bright pink/orange then you`ll need this from Halfords is where I got mine from http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-antifreeze-concentrate-2-litres

Did you check the coolant level while the engine was hot or cold. If it was cold it'll expand when it gets hot and may reach the max mark.

That's why its called an expansion tank.

• Like 1

andypsp - thank you very much for the link, I will go to my local halford today :)

bobr - thank you very much for the link, I will get reading :)

Mordey - I checked it when it was cold ( the car hadn't been turned on for a day or two). Do you think I should leave it?

The correct level is halfway between the min and max when cold.So top up with a mix of 50% recommended coolant and 50% water.Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Not sure if this person will still be on here or even have the car anymore but I was just wondering if they or anyone else who’s had to top up their coolant has had any problems afterwards? I’ve just topped mine up on my 15plate 1ltr ecoboost and course there is the whole ecoboom thing and people are telling me that my coolant is leaking and my engines going to need replacing soon just wondering if anyone has any experience in low coolant??

how often do you need to top it up. if you have only topped up once, where was the level before you topped up. sounds like it's a bit soon to panic based on what you have told us. On my previous Fiesta (2007 diesel) I had to top up regularly as it was leaking from the thermostat cover.  whilst annoying, that was not a sign of impending disaster.

On all the vehicles I've owned, including my present fiesta ecoboost, the coolant has tended to settle at a 'natural' level. This is usually around the minimum mark. Any attempts to top up with more have resulted in a gradual return to that level over weeks of driving. My theory is that the expansion tank requires a head space to allow for coolant expansion, and I guess it will vent air/vapour every time the engine warms up until sufficient head space is generated to not activate the pressure relief valve. The coolant then remains at this level long term. I used to worry about this but thought about it and came up with this. I can't think of any other reason for it. I didn't have any noticeable coolant leaks and didn't have to add coolant long term. In other words don't panic but obviously check the level frequently and watch out for leaks.

• Like 1

Having seen this thread this morning, I checked the level on my car.   Cold, it's spot on between max and min.

My level fluctuates between inch over max and max. I think it is pretty normal for these cars that the level is fluctuating. It has been close to max for a long time but it has been also close to min occasionally. I think I need to test my coolant for amount of water.

My theory is that these cars get air in the cooling system easily. Also there are quite a few loops where the coolant is running so depending on which loops are in use the level fluctuates a bit. Now during summer it isn't running through the heater matrix.

Mine does the same and sits just above the minimum mark. Like the other poster said. I have filled it up to about middle and eventually it goes back down to the minimum and stay there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club