Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluetooth Communication Error

Black Magic

Hello, I have 2011 Mk3 Ford Focus Titanium with the Sony My Sync with voice control, when I connect my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge via bluetooth the battery & signal bars try to be displayed on the screen but a message comes up saying  'bluetooth Communication Error' does anybody know what this means? My phone will connect and make & receive calls but I'm confused to what the message is. I have wiped all the phone's clear and started from fresh still nothing, look in all the settings on my phone still nothing, been through all the settings on the stereo still nothing , been on YouTube, Google asked mates, people at work and nobody seems to know.

If anybody knows anything then I would be very grateful thanks you

A 2011 Focus MK3 has the old second generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. This is basically the same system that was available on the Focus MK2.5. This system is no longer supported by Ford. The latest available update for this system (Ford Audio Update) was released in November 2012. If your Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module has older software you can perform the Ford Audio Update from a USB thumb drive. This update is officially no longer supplied by Ford but can still be found online on several places.

Unfortunately the second generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system has become outdated. The list of officially supported phones is pretty short and includes only older phones. Newer phones can cause compatibility issues which unfortunately is a known problem that most times can not be solved.

In the second half of 2012 Ford introduced a new type of Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module which is fully compatible with the second genration modules. This type of module is slightly more advanced and includes all available languages (only one type of module for all Europe). This type of module is also no longer supported but has a lot less compatibility issues than the older modules. Upgrading to the newer type of module often solves a lot of compatibility problems.

The newer type of Bluetooth/Voicecontrol modules are only used for a short period. Late 2012 the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system was replaced by the SYNC 1.0 system. The SYNC 1.0 system is completely different from the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. None of the parts are interchangeable. 

Hello thank you for your reply so I need to do a update to sort the problem out? Do you know where I can get the update from? So the last 2012 bluetooth / voice control will not fit my car? 

Thank you

The latest (November 2012) Ford Audio Update should be suitable for your car. Ford removed this update from all official Ford websites after the support for this system stopped. However I still have this update.

The November 2012 Ford Audio Update can be downloaded from HERE.

The update is suitable for the following Ford models:

C-Max - February 2008 to January 2012
Fiesta - July 2008 to December 2011
Focus - February 2008 to January 2012
Galaxy - September 2008 to January 2012
Kuga - February 2008 to January 2012
Mondeo - September 2008 to January 2012
Ranger - From April 2009
Transit - From June 2009

The update files must be copied to an empty FAT32 formatted USB thumb drive. Despite the update is called Ford Audio Update it only updates the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module to the latest available software version. The update does not affect the radio or other modules. 

Instructions to perform the update can be found HERE. These instructions are for a Fiesta MK7 but also apply to the Focus MK3 and C-max/Grand C-max.

If the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol already has the latest software or updating the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module does not solve the problem you either can try to install the newer type of module or you have to live with it.

• 2 years later...
On 6/12/2016 at 8:03 AM, JW1982 said:

The latest (November 2012) Ford Audio Update should be suitable for your car. Ford removed this update from all official Ford websites after the support for this system stopped. However I still have this update.

The November 2012 Ford Audio Update can be downloaded from HERE.

The update is suitable for the following Ford models:

C-Max - February 2008 to January 2012
Fiesta - July 2008 to December 2011
Focus - February 2008 to January 2012
Galaxy - September 2008 to January 2012
Kuga - February 2008 to January 2012
Mondeo - September 2008 to January 2012
Ranger - From April 2009
Transit - From June 2009

The update files must be copied to an empty FAT32 formatted USB thumb drive. Despite the update is called Ford Audio Update it only updates the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module to the latest available software version. The update does not affect the radio or other modules. 

Instructions to perform the update can be found HERE. These instructions are for a Fiesta MK7 but also apply to the Focus MK3 and C-max/Grand C-max.

If the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol already has the latest software or updating the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module does not solve the problem you either can try to install the newer type of module or you have to live with it.

Would you still happen to have that update? I tried the link but its not there anymore 

Cheers

Preparation:

1. Download the update from here: Download Ford Audio bluetooth / USB firmware update - November 2012 release

2. Format a USB memory stick, ensuring the file system is set to FAT32

3. Unzip the contents (all 21 items) of the zip file you just downloaded, and copy them to the root of the memory stick, i.e. without placing them in any folders. The contents of the memory stick should appear as below:

memstick.png

Now, head to your car, unlock it, get in, and follow the steps below carefully:

1. Make sure your climate control is completely switched off to avoid the blower fan running which will cause the battery to drain faster. It's probably best to do this update after the vehicle has been driven for around 15 minutes or longer, to ensure the battery is freshly charged. If you receive low battery warnings during this procedure, it may cause the audio system to shut down and the update to fail.
In reality you should be absolutely fine, and my battery is probably just past its best (yes, I received a 'low battery' message when I did the first update), but it's worth being cautious!

2. Switch on the radio WITHOUT turning on the ignition

3. Insert the memory stick into the USB socket

4. If nothing appears on the screen, switch to the AUX/USB input. You will then receive a message stating that there are no media files on the device.

5. Now switch the ignition on but do not turn the engine on. If you don't have keyless start, turn the key two clicks to turn the ignition on. If you do have keyless start, press the button WITHOUT depressing the clutch (manual) or brake (automatic).

6. Now the radio should initialise and perform the update. It will display "Update running" (or words to that effect).

7. DO NOT switch off the ignition, or switch on the engine during this time. The update will take up to 20 minutes to apply, and it feels a lot longer if you're sitting watching it! Now would be a good time to make a cup of tea.

Once the update is finished, you will receive a confirmation message on the display briefly, and then it will switch back to radio playback. Power off the radio, then power it back up again and check the USB and bluetooth functionality.

At this point, you're all done!

I have a 2011 focus titanium with the same sony system. I installed the update above shortly after getting the car last year. I have a Galaxy S7 and don't have any problems with bluetooth. Did you choose the bluetooth settings on your phone when you first connected? You normally get options for media playback as well as phone calls. Have you tried playing music from your phone via bluetooth?  Have you installed the latest updates on your phone?

My daughter's have iphones with the latest IOS that they connect to my radio without issue to play music and make calls as well so it does support the latest phones.

somewhere along the line everyone worked out in 2012 how to make BT behave....

most vehicle BT systems got a fix circa 2012 and never needed it again, good to know apple works, as those lunatics have no idea how to write software or follow standards

Can someone tell to which bluetooth module apply this update. My module is 8M5T-19G488-AH, it's a module I have from an focus mk2 and intend to install it on my mk3. Do I have to apply this update?

19 hours ago, ovidiur said:

Can someone tell to which bluetooth module apply this update. My module is 8M5T-19G488-AH, it's a module I have from an focus mk2 and intend to install it on my mk3. Do I have to apply this update?

there are a number of modules,  I think yours can only do BT phone calls - so its not for your model.

8M5T - 19C112 - A_ _  are the modules that support BT music streaming *and need additional wiring to get the stereo signal from this later box to the radio

earlier versions of the 19C112 modules only have USB to allow firmware updates, I think after AN it allowed the for music connection via USB or BT music streaming

in the release notes for the software it doesn't say which models the software update is for, but I guess any 8M5T - 19C112   ? 

This update is applicable to the following vehicles:

Model    Built date

Fiesta:  July       2008 - December 2011
Focus:   February   2008 - January 2012
C-MAX:   February   2008 - January 2012
Kuga:    February   2008 - January 2012
Mondeo:  September  2008 - January 2012
S-MAX:   September  2008 - January 2012
Galaxy:  September  2008 - January 2012
Transit: from June  2009
Ranger:  from April 2009

• Like 1

Novice Member

New
Sorry to ask on this thread but am new on here and couldn't see where else to post.
I have an odd one for anyone who may know. 
I bought a 2009 Ford Focus CC that has a Sony 6000 CD Radio (not the DAB version) and my hubby bought the same car but the 2010 plate. The Radio looks identical apart from being DAB. 
My Galaxy S7 Edge phone will not generate a 4 digit bluetooth connection pin on my radio no matter what, but any other phone I have tried works just fine and connects straight away! I was told my radio software was out of date. 
My S7 Edge would connect to hubbys phone no problem, so when I bought him the same radio but with 6 CD Changer on it, we naturally put his DAB into my car, only to get the same problem! Any ideas why anyone?

I just did a quick search and found this website: https://willtaylor.org/update-ford-audio-bluetooth/

If that is your model of radio as pictured that should update the bluetooth module and resolve your issues.

I can't take any responsibility for the website or downloaded files so read the instructions carefully and check the download has the files required.

Looking at the download I think it's the same update file for all radios in cars within the build dates listed so the link Botus provided further up this page should give the same file.

@TonyTiger64 does your car have bluetooth? its not part of the radio its another bit under the dash that's an option. 

If it has BT but this particular phone won't work as ColW says, update the module that does bluetooth following process in posts above

Hi Botus, reading the description, TonyTiger said other phones would connect ok just having problems with  this phone so it must have bluetooth.

• Thanks 1

The update to your Ford "bluetooth and multimedia module" provides you with improvements in the following areas:

Release: November 2012

- Improved energy management in connection with USB and bluetooth devices

Release: April 2012

- Playback of music files via the USB stick
- Connection stability of iPod/iPhone devices
- Connection stability for bluetooth, telephony and music streaming via Bluetooth
- Compatibility of mobile phones

Release: October 2011

- Supports the original Apple USB cable
- Apple iOS 5 compatibility: display of the phones battery level and signal strength
- Apple iOS 5 compatibility: improved stability for music streaming via Bluetooth
- Playback of music files via the USB stick
- Connection stability of iPod/iPhone devices
- Connection stability for Bluetooth, telephony and music streaming via Bluetooth
- Compatibility of mobile phones
- Display of phone book and call lists

As with most firmware.... the latest version provides all the earlier fixes as well.  (unless stated that you must do one after the other... which is mostly for stuff that's way more complex than this little box)

• 4 years later...
On 12/3/2019 at 6:34 PM, Matt615 said:

Hi,

i have a 2011 Titanium Focus with the Sony DAB stereo.

I want to update to the latest firmware. Can anyone advise where this can be downloaded, and give me a guide to installing please?

Thanks!

is this download still available as my 2012 mondeo needs this i think

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club